Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throw Up - Help!!
TXhomedaycare 11:06 AM 07-20-2015
I have a 3 yo dcb that has thrown up 2 times last week and again this morning. My policy is that he needed to be picked up ASAP and the child must be symptom and medication free for 24 hours in order to return. After the first time his mother told me when I called her that he recently has been coughing to the point of throwing up. She said she gave him cough medication that morning before she dropped him off (I was really upset she did not tell me about that). This child has terrible allergies and a lot of other things going on (all kinds of rashes and boils on his stomach) but I never need to administer his meds so I try to go along with it. This morning he threw up again after coughing and again she is an hour away and is fustrated she needs to pick him up since she "knows" he is not sick or contagious. The crazy thing is the mom said "The meds are supposed to last 24 hours". Like that made it okay. This child throws up everything in his stomach everytime and I just shampooed my carpet this weekend How should I handle this situation? Ask for a doctors note, send a note home to the mom warning her about medicating him and that it is grounds for term, charge for shampooing the carpet Suggestions please
KidGrind 11:19 AM 07-20-2015
You exclude for symptoms.

A child who vomits cannot be in care, end of story. A doctor’s note wouldn’t that fact that I do not provide care for children with one or multiple symptoms.
hope 11:54 AM 07-20-2015
Why does he have boils? And the rash? Do you have a doctors note stating what that is from? I would be very scared of staff if I saw boils. I would be very scared of many things if I saw a persisting rash. I would exclude for radh, boils and vomiting and require a doctors note to return after all 3 symptoms are gone.
Unregistered 11:58 AM 07-20-2015
Fyi several years ago I had a little boy that had several throw up attacks usually right at arrival, a few times at home(over several wks)....it was a brain tumor!!!!Hewas 4 and is now a thriving 14 yr old.Make the parent get the child checked.
TXhomedaycare 12:04 PM 07-20-2015
He has had boils on his stomach since he started a year ago. His mom said he and his dad get them. He has one or two and then they bust and go away and then new ones come. He is always clean and we'll groomed when he comes and I have never had any issues. His parents just divorced before he started and his mom blames everything on his dad. He has a million mosquito bites on his legs and a rash of bumps on his knee. His mom says he has very sensitive skin that breaks out and bleeds easily.
Play Care 12:09 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
He has had boils on his stomach since he started a year ago. His mom said he and his dad get them. He has one or two and then they bust and go away and then new ones come. He is always clean and we'll groomed when he comes and I have never had any issues. His parents just divorced before he started and his mom blames everything on his dad. He has a million mosquito bites on his legs and a rash of bumps on his knee. His mom says he has very sensitive skin that breaks out and bleeds easily.
I would need a docs note stating what the boils are, and if they are contagious in a day care situation.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 07-20-2015
No matter what the issue is or the cause, you need to simply tell mom that the child can not attend unless he is 100% capable of participating in normal daily activities.

If he is coughing so much that he throws up, he needs to stay home. period. Not only to rest and get better but because NO PART of your job includes dealing with vomit from a child more than once.

Vomit is vomit no matter the cause.

I would also stop her in her tracks when she blames dad and say something like "I understand you feel it's dad's fault for x but either way I am unable to do x"

Don't keep him if he coughs so much that it's disruptive to others
Don't keep him if he throws up
Don't keep him is he has diarrhea
Don't keep him if he has ANY of the symptoms that are excludable.

It does NOT matter why he has any of those things....it ONLY matters that he does and you aren't allowed to keep him.

Sounds like you might need to put your foot down with her and let her know you do NOT want her placing you in the middle of anything her and dad have or don't have going on.

Your only concern should be the emotional and physical condition of the child as it pertains to daycare only.
AmyKidsCo 12:18 PM 07-20-2015
ITA with BC.

It's not a matter of WHY he's throwing up, it's a SANITATION issue. You can't have a child throwing up all over your house because you need to keep the environment clean and sanitary for the other children.
AuntTami 12:48 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I have this. Mine isn't contagious, it's an auto-immune disorder but it's really gross. But I would DEFINITELY make sure you have a doc note to make sure it isn't staph. I had meds 4 times for staph because they were convinced that's what was on my stomach. It's not. Keep them covered and wash your hands because they're not contagious to other choldren(if he has what I have) but the fluid in them will cause more to form.
Reply Up