Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early AND Late!!!!
Georgiads 03:43 PM 09-26-2017
I live in an expensive area so I am lucky that my parents don't have financial problems, but even though I get paid I am dealing with a lot of rude and inconsiderate behavior.

I have three families out of ten who are consistently early to drop off and late to pick up.

I am the kind of person who is always worried about inconveniencing others, so this behavior has left me with my mouth hanging wide open in disbelief.

Example :

Mom arrives at 7:13 when I open at 7:30.

I am a moron, so I open the door.

Mother hands me 11 month old and says she just scoopedbaby out of the crib and put her straight into the car. Baby needs a diaper change and is still in pjs.

I'm doing everything I can not to make that Home Alone face with the hands on my cheeks.

Mom leaves, I go about feeling used and sad for this baby.

So I typed up a letter to remind parents of my upcoming holidays, reiterating that I follow the public schools when it comes to snow days/delays/early release and that children must be gone at 5:30 or I will apply fees and eventually term.

I feel resentful because I feel like they have made me uncomfortable in my own home because of their disregard for my time and efforts.

I am thankful to this forum because it taught me to have a backbone about this behavior, but I still don't like having to pull out that whip!

Letters went home today, I just said briefly that they were policy reminders. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning!!!!

Thanks for listening, I think I feel better after getting this off my chest.
HappyEverAfter 05:37 PM 09-26-2017
I think the letter Home about policy reminders is good. If anyone challenges you on it when they see you tomorrow, don't be afraid to stand your ground. You are not giving them new rules. These are the policies that you have had since they started with you. If they had issues with the policies then the time for them to ask questions was at the initial interview before care ever began. Just smile through the nerves and say, "The policies are all the same policies that you agreed to when you started coming here. I just periodically like to send home reminders to keep everyone on the same page."
And in the future, hold back from opening the door early. Hide where they can't see you and dont open it a minute early. If they call your phone, don't answer that either. When you do open, if they mention it, just smile and say "Oh, I didn't hear you. I was drying my hair and wasn't listening for the door/phone since it wasn't 7:30 yet."
Stand your ground and do it with a smile on your face. The more you do this, the less they will challenge you.
springv 06:19 PM 09-26-2017
If parents come before we open at six, we DO NOT unlock our door until its time. As for late pick up, we charge x amount per minute past six pm
Rockgirl 08:39 PM 09-26-2017
I agree on not opening the door. And I have in my policies, "Children must arrive dressed and ready for the day. No pjs or overnight diapers." It's a shame that we even have to address it, huh?

I hope your families shape up!
Josiegirl 01:54 AM 09-27-2017
Ok, do as I say(not as I do ) Get out that ole whip and be the owner of your business. YOUR business!! The only reason they're doing this is because you're allowing it. Period. They will end up with newfound respect for you!

I know exactly how hard it is to speak up. I am horrid at confrontations. Really. Case in point....I have a dcf with 3 yo twin dcgs. Parents have a difficult time saying no to them. Very difficult. I have sent home endless reminders about my policies No Toys from Home. So yesterday, both girls came loaded down with stuff in their hands. Why?? Because little by little I've been allowing it. Little pieces among other stuff, and dcm KNOWS I have a crawler in my home. Well, they immediately put everything up into their cubbies. And that's the main reason I haven't brought it up again. But yesterday I was helping 1 of the twins wash her hands and she had all curled up in her fingers a little piece. Now I don't know if she got it out of her backpack or if it fell out of her cubby when I placed something else in there. But today I need to confront her personally, and make her take it all back out to the car. I cannot risk what could happen. I am angry with her for not adhering to policies and letting her girls take full control over her. But mostly I am MAD at myself for not sticking to my guns and allowing it to sneak back in. Her dds will be upset and I can already see it, dcm will have to sit, coddle and console their broken hearts for 20 minutes before being late to work.

All that venting to just say 'do NOT make my mistake by allowing things to happen that is not in the best interest of your business!'
amberrose3dg 03:54 AM 09-27-2017
Stick to your policies otherwise they will continue to walk on you. I have had some rough patches with parents not wanting to follow rules or not understanding them. For the most part I have a great group now that we have worked through the issues. They dont want to follow your rules term them. They can try and get away with disrespect somewhere else. You will be able to fill their spots.
Pestle 06:09 AM 09-27-2017
I just treated myself to a vintage spring-driven pendulum wall clock. It hangs near the door, above the sign-in clipboard (so's I won't get any more "What time is it?"s at drop off). When it chimes for 7am, I turn on the porch light and unlock the door. I think having the chime helps me remember "Am I open? No; the clock didn't go BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG."
midaycare 06:23 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I just treated myself to a vintage spring-driven pendulum wall clock. It hangs near the door, above the sign-in clipboard (so's I won't get any more "What time is it?"s at drop off). When it chimes for 7am, I turn on the porch light and unlock the door. I think having the chime helps me remember "Am I open? No; the clock didn't go BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG."
Lololol! Also good for parents. "Did you hear the 7 Bongs yet? No? Then I'm not open!" I'm picturing you saying this through a door or window.
LysesKids 06:29 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I get it totally... I have special alarm set on my cell phone for 7:29am Monday thru Friday only... ONE parent is scheduled to arrive at 7:30, the others not until 8 (contracted hrs). The alarm reminds me to turn on the fairy lights & turn off front porch light/unlock door lol.
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 09-27-2017
We teach people how to treat us. If you don't agree with your own policies, you need to get rid of them. By allowing them to get away with it once you are teaching them you don't agree with your policy so they don't have to, either.

Enforce your policies consistently or get rid of them.

There is no shame in choosing to be a lenient provider. Some parents are willing to pay dearly for it. Pick your battles on issues you are not too invested in and get tough on the ones you are. The important thing is to never put policies on paper that you are not willing to enforce, it makes them all open for debate. My handbook is 3 pages, double spaced, 14 font. I am known for being tough, but the reality is I have very few policies. Simplify
LysesKids 08:39 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
We teach people how to treat us. If you don't agree with your own policies, you need to get rid of them. By allowing them to get away with it once you are teaching them you don't agree with your policy so they don't have to, either.

Enforce your policies consistently or get rid of them.

There is no shame in choosing to be a lenient provider. Some parents are willing to pay dearly for it. Pick your battles on issues you are not too invested in and get tough on the ones you are. The important thing is to never put policies on paper that you are not willing to enforce, it makes them all open for debate. My handbook is 3 pages, double spaced, 14 font. I am known for being tough, but the reality is I have very few policies. Simplify
Exactly... Mine are 10 pages, double spaced at 12 point, however being an ECO Healthy childcare, infants only & because Of some allergy issues, I have to add a few that some providers don't lol. Mine are also on my website, so parents can see updates & print at their convenience... and as was stated elsewhere, always separate from the contract that parents sign concerning PAYMENT
Tags:awkward parent, backbone - not, early arrival - policy, enforcing policies, enforcing policies - consistency, late drop off
Reply Up