Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand Foot and Mouth?
scoobysmama 04:48 PM 05-14-2019
My son recently came down with HF&M. The doctor advised me to close my business until his blister dry up. One of my days just told me that her son also has it and asked if I would take him in since they’re both sick anyway. What do you all think I should do?
Michael 05:25 PM 05-14-2019
https://www.drgreene.com/qa-articles...mouth-disease/

Will your son catch hand-foot-and-mouth syndrome again? Probably not, but there are no guarantees.

While most children clear their bodies of the virus within one week, coxsackievirus A16 occasionally succeeds in hiding inside children’s own cells, like herpes. By eluding the cellular immune system, coxsackievirus A16 can cause chronic or recurring skin lesions. Healthy humoral immunity is able to keep these recurrences from being as severe as the initial episode.
Indoorvoice 05:29 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by scoobysmama:
My son recently came down with HF&M. The doctor advised me to close my business until his blister dry up. One of my days just told me that her son also has it and asked if I would take him in since they’re both sick anyway. What do you all think I should do?
No. When a child is sick,they need to be comfortable in their home. HFM can be really uncomfortable and they will need the attention of a parent or someone who can give them 1:1. It won't be good for your child or the dck to have to split attention.
e.j. 07:20 PM 05-14-2019
After reading Michael's reply I'm not sure what I'd do but when HFM came through my house a few years ago and again this past winter, most of the kids got relatively mild cases. I allowed them to come back once they were fever free for at least 24 hours and they were feeling well enough to eat and play normally. This year, I had one dcg who got the sores in her mouth and was very uncomfortable for a longer time period than the rest of the kids who just had rashes on their hands and legs. I asked her mom to keep her home until she could eat normally and wasn't fussy.

My own grown kids and I got HFM the first time around so I also considered that when I made the decision to let kids return to care even though they still had their rashes. When it came through the house again this year, I thought we were immune since we had already had HFM the last time. I read later that you're only immune to it if the same virus caused both outbreaks. I ended up getting a mild case this year so apparently, it was a different virus that caused it this year as opposed to the last time. If I had realized that, I would have asked the dc families to keep their kids home longer so that my own family's health wasn't put at risk unnecessarily.
Tags:coxsackie, foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth
Reply Up