Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Say Something Or Just Let It Go??
Unregistered 11:16 AM 05-01-2017
One of my dcks is a 7 year old girl who comes after school 4 days a week. She has been coming for about 2 months now. On Friday when her mom arrived for pick up she paid me then looked at DCG and said "Get your ass moving I am not going to be late to my dr. Appointment because you are so slow". I thought dcg was getting ready at a just fine pace and it shocked me when I heard it so I didn't address it. How a parent talks to their child when they are not at daycare is obviously their own choice but had she not been the last kid to get picked up and another child or parent had heard I would have been so embarrassed, plus I felt so bad for the poor girl. I guess I am just wondering would you say something at pick up today or let it go and address it if it happens again?
Unregistered 12:15 PM 05-01-2017
I'd let it go for now.
I'd make sure my daycare was a happy place, and a soft place to land for kids who might be feeling the family stress, and I'd watch for other signs of an unhappy home...but who knows what pressure that mother was under? I'm not condoning her attitude, every child deserves respect - keep an eye but no, don't say anything yet, in my opinion
Ariana 12:37 PM 05-01-2017
I once overheard a mom telling her daughter that her painting was garbage and then proceeded to rip it up and throw it in the garbage. This child was obviously used to it because she didn't even react. At daycare she was very quiet and subdued. I did not say anything because what am I going to say that would change the behavior. Instead the next day I tokd her that her painting was beautiful and that it didn't matter what anyone else thought.

I think in this case I would not say anything but next time maybe ask mom if she is having a bad day. I am not a parenting coach, many parents are horrible parents. The only thing I can do is provide a safe nurturing space for those kids in my home.
Unregistered 12:46 PM 05-01-2017
I would wait and maybe if it happens again say something like "Oh my, language. Kids are spunges!" Since it was in front of your other daycare kids.
happymom 02:38 PM 05-01-2017
The way she said it could have been nicer, but really, sometimes the kids NEED TO MOVE FASTER and they are the reason we are late =)
Mad_Pistachio 06:05 PM 05-01-2017
one of my college instructors likes to say, "Remember, you may be the only stable person in that kid's life." this may or may not be the case, but if it is, hang on to that. she may look up to you more than you think.
MarinaVanessa 12:59 PM 05-02-2017
I would have addressed it but more from the point that DCM may not use foul language like that in my home and in front of the children. I wouldn't have gotten into it with DCM about her tone or way of speaking to her DD because I honestly doubt that it would change a thing but while I can't change how she parents her own children I CAN change the types of words that she uses in MY home and cursing is unacceptable.
Mike 02:14 PM 05-02-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would have addressed it but more from the point that DCM may not use foul language like that in my home and in front of the children. I wouldn't have gotten into it with DCM about her tone or way of speaking to her DD because I honestly doubt that it would change a thing but while I can't change how she parents her own children I CAN change the types of words that she uses in MY home and cursing is unacceptable.

That's how I would handle it too.

In my years with kids, I've seen many who are lacking positive support in their lives, and I'm always glad that I have the chance to put a little positivity in their lives.
Laurie 03:19 PM 05-02-2017
I always address parents when foul language is used in my daycare. I nicely remind them their language is unacceptable and leave it at that.
flying_babyb 01:15 AM 05-03-2017
I work in a center and some of the language parents use if front of other children is astonishing! I have told many a parent that they needed to watch their words. I told one of the parents to watch thier words and they told me to F-off. My director flew out of her office and took the parent into her office. Never heard my boss yell so much. Never saw that kid again
Reply Up