Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going From Feeding 8 DCKs Down To 3
Josiegirl 03:59 PM 08-26-2017
How do you plan meals for 3 smallish eaters compared to SA dcks? I was making pots of this and that for the summer group(sometimes the older kids wanted lunch leftovers for snack so nothing was ever wasted) and now I have to alter my whole mindset so I don't over spend and overcook.
What do you serve a group that small? They're not really picky which is good but cooking a big hot meal seems like a waste of time.

Any advice of suggestions? Thanks!!
storybookending 04:05 PM 08-26-2017
I do a lot of noodle based meals, spaghetti, buttered Noodles, alfredo ect.. With the noodles I just don't cook as many. I pair with things like garlic bread and meatballs and only make as much as needed. French fruit that can also be served a day or two before or after for snacks. My littles favorite meal by far is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Anything sandwich related really they gobble up. I grew up in a daycare that only served us a PB&J every single day so I cringe when I serve it but it's always a top request. Pair with yogurt and bananas and only buy as much as I'll need.
sahm1225 06:15 PM 08-26-2017
I cook half of what I normally do or cook the same and freeze half of it for another meal.
It's crazy, but it's SO much easier cooking for a big group of eaters than tiny ones!
Ariana 06:16 PM 08-26-2017
These are my go to meals. I will be going from 6 kids to 4. I have served enough meals to these kids that I know what they will and will not eat so I just rotate the same meals over and over. They are with me part time.

Cheesy quesadilla with salsa (cut up veggie appetizer)
Grilled cheese with salsa (veggies appetizer)
Super greens noodles with butter and salt (some of them put salsa on this...they love salsa!)
Homemade chicken fingers (quinoa flour, salt, fried in coconut oil) with rice and broccoli
Multigrain pancakes with berry sauce (frozen berries heated on stove top)
Picnic lunch - cheese, deli meat slices, hummus and crackers, tomato and celery
Nachos
Tomato Soup and tuna sandwich

I make all of this while they sit. I serve them cut up veggies and the babies get a mum mum to occupy them. We also sing game type songs etc.
flying_babyb 06:36 PM 08-26-2017
if you overcook, you freeze it and use it later!
Mom2Two 07:19 PM 08-26-2017
You all always amaze me with your wonderful cooking. My own family would be grateful if I fed THEM the way you all feed your daycare kids, lol.

As far as not wasting...you could make sandwiches (like ham, cheese etc for the protein) and wrap them in individual quarters/halves. You can chop raw vegies and keep them in containers so that what isn't served/wanted is still good in the fridge.

At lunch time, my family often takes the left over sandwiches that were never unwrapped.
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 08-27-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Then you only have to cook twice a week.
Baby Beluga 09:37 AM 08-27-2017
Yep! Freeze and use later or when you make your own dinner make a little extra for lunch the next day.
storybookending 12:27 PM 08-27-2017
Scrambled eggs is another favorite around here that I just thought of. Only cook as many eggs as needed.
Leigh 09:05 PM 08-27-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
You all always amaze me with your wonderful cooking. My own family would be grateful if I fed THEM the way you all feed your daycare kids, lol.

As far as not wasting...you could make sandwiches (like ham, cheese etc for the protein) and wrap them in individual quarters/halves. You can chop raw vegies and keep them in containers so that what isn't served/wanted is still good in the fridge.

At lunch time, my family often takes the left over sandwiches that were never unwrapped.
My husband always complains that the kids eat so much better than he does! I am just too wiped out at the end of the day to spend another 2.5 hours in the kitchen-sorry, DH. It is different during the school year, but during summer, I don't want to cook extra at lunch for supper leftovers and make my son eat the same meal twice in a day. Now that school has started back up, I'll be doing a lot of that.
Leigh 09:09 PM 08-27-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
I use 2 loaves of Texas Toast and 18 eggs every time I make French Toast! I cut them into sticks, freeze, then bag them up, and I have several breakfasts in there. I also make Pancake on a Stick in big batches and freeze after cooking. Huge batches of meatballs (my kids love them), and big batches of sweet n sour chicken (this is such a PITA to make, I don't want to do it very often!). I have always shied away from freezing meals, but I have found that MANY things freeze nicely!
LysesKids 06:33 AM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I use 2 loaves of Texas Toast and 18 eggs every time I make French Toast! I cut them into sticks, freeze, then bag them up, and I have several breakfasts in there. I also make Pancake on a Stick in big batches and freeze after cooking. Huge batches of meatballs (my kids love them), and big batches of sweet n sour chicken (this is such a PITA to make, I don't want to do it very often!). I have always shied away from freezing meals, but I have found that MANY things freeze nicely!
I have tons of meatballs in the freezer along with homemade tomato sauce. My group eats more vegetarian that I cook fresh & I just eat the purposely made leftovers for my dinner lol
Tags:ratio decrease
Reply Up