Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Portable Stove/Burner For Daycare
LittleScholars 09:18 AM 04-13-2018
Does anyone use a little portable stove/single burner type thing for cooking? If so, do you like it and what brand is it?

Specifically, I'm looking for something safe that will boil water quickly without burning pots. I can do just about everything else in my other gadgets. I recently moved my whole daycare to my finished basement and for safety reasons we didn't install a stove/oven (we wanted it to be a safe place for our own kids to play independently eventually).
rosieteddy 11:01 AM 04-13-2018
Why not go with a microwave oven?Not as likely to burn anyone usually works for heating up lunches easily.I did most of my care in the basement playroom.I did cook in the kitchen and then bring food down for snacks and breakfast.I chose to eat and sleep on the first floor.Mostly to give me a chance while the kids slept to eat and clean up after lunch.I enjoyed the change of scenery.
LittleScholars 11:38 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Why not go with a microwave oven?Not as likely to burn anyone usually works for heating up lunches easily.I did most of my care in the basement playroom.I did cook in the kitchen and then bring food down for snacks and breakfast.I chose to eat and sleep on the first floor.Mostly to give me a chance while the kids slept to eat and clean up after lunch.I enjoyed the change of scenery.
Sorry, I should clarify that I have a microwave, big multi-function toaster over and instant pot. I'm specifically looking for a way to boil pots of water (we miss pasta). I'm also not allowed to go upstairs anymore now that I de-daycared my upstairs. It is still child proof for my own kids, but I'd have to bring them all upstairs, which wouldn't logistically work.

I'm also not super worried about kid safety because we did install a full counter top, sink, etc. That is all in an area removed from the play area. I just want to be sure I don't get something prone to over heating.
morgan24 11:55 AM 04-13-2018
I have the same set up. I’ve been making my pasta the night before when I’m making dinner and then I just reheat.
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Sorry, I should clarify that I have a microwave, big multi-function toaster over and instant pot. I'm specifically looking for a way to boil pots of water (we miss pasta). I'm also not allowed to go upstairs anymore now that I de-daycared my upstairs. It is still child proof for my own kids, but I'd have to bring them all upstairs, which wouldn't logistically work.

I'm also not super worried about kid safety because we did install a full counter top, sink, etc. That is all in an area removed from the play area. I just want to be sure I don't get something prone to over heating.
Can you prepare anything that needs to be boiled ahead of time. Can you boil the pasta the night before or the morning of and then just reheat them?

You can boil pasta using your microwave too apparently
https://www.tarladalal.com/Boiled-Pa...Microwave-640r

Barilla also makes "Ready Pasta" that is already cooked in the package. You just heat and serve
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/produc...ta/?sort=alpha
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:51 PM 04-13-2018
You can totally do pasta in the instant pot... I love that thing!
284878 08:38 PM 04-13-2018
We have a hotpot. You can make soup in it, so you should be able to make pasta.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323181157618?...a665d3fffef5d6

We have had it for ten years. The out side does not get hot and the water boils quickly. Just becareful of the steam. If you leave the lid down, you should be able to strain with out a strainer.

We also have a single burner, it could be the same brand as the hotpot because we got them at the same place. We use it for camping and when our burners were not working. When shopping for one of these, pay attention to the wattage they vary between brands. Ours is a 2000 watt, my sister got a 1500 watt.
We paid about ten each, but again it was ten years ago.
hwichlaz 11:13 PM 04-13-2018
You can get single induction burners.

They are safe

But I also boil water in my instant pot on the suate’ Setting.
rosieteddy 06:42 AM 04-14-2018
Sounds like an awesome set up.I always made pasta enough for multiple meals.Stored in baggies flat then used the microwave to reheat with what ever sauce I was serving that day.Even now that I have retired and no longer feed 6 children daily I have a pasta problem. I rarely make serving size needed.I find still making the box and reheating leftovers.Some habits die hard.It is helpful to have leftovers though.
Unregistered 12:30 PM 04-15-2018
I microwave pasta every week. I just stick the pasta (I break the spaghetti to fit in the glass mixing bowl add water and cook for 12 minutes. It comes out perfect. I have been doing this for years.
LittleScholars 09:15 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
You can totally do pasta in the instant pot... I love that thing!
How!? I mean, I've done it, but it was the only thing that I found super gross. It was either so soft or so hard, and it absorbed the sauce like crazy. What is the trick?!
LittleScholars 09:16 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
You can get single induction burners.

They are safe

But I also boil water in my instant pot on the suate’ Setting.
Does it take forever to boil?
LittleScholars 09:17 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I microwave pasta every week. I just stick the pasta (I break the spaghetti to fit in the glass mixing bowl add water and cook for 12 minutes. It comes out perfect. I have been doing this for years.
I'm so glad I asked this! Have you tried other noodles?
LittleScholars 09:18 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Sounds like an awesome set up.I always made pasta enough for multiple meals.Stored in baggies flat then used the microwave to reheat with what ever sauce I was serving that day.Even now that I have retired and no longer feed 6 children daily I have a pasta problem. I rarely make serving size needed.I find still making the box and reheating leftovers.Some habits die hard.It is helpful to have leftovers though.
I should really do this!
daycarediva 09:18 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
SAME!

Or I make it the night/morning of and reheat.
LittleScholars 09:48 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you prepare anything that needs to be boiled ahead of time. Can you boil the pasta the night before or the morning of and then just reheat them?

You can boil pasta using your microwave too apparently
https://www.tarladalal.com/Boiled-Pa...Microwave-640r

Barilla also makes "Ready Pasta" that is already cooked in the package. You just heat and serve
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/produc...ta/?sort=alpha
I should prepare things ahead. I used to. Now I'm pregnant again and busy with my own 15 month old and really want to consolidate daycare tasks to daycare hours.

I love both of these ideas! Especially because it doesn't involve another gadget.
Tags:portable stove, stove
Reply Up