Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Renters Out Tthere... or Anyone, HELP!
has_my_heart 11:01 PM 02-26-2014
I'm looking for some advice on dealing with landlords. My landlord gave me the "go ahead" to start daycare in the home two months ago. I have invested about $500 getting it ready and going through the licensing process. This week I began advertising and just tonight I received an email from them saying that they no longer want to allow the daycare. I'm livid and honestly really sad. I've been up until 1-3 am getting things set up and bargain shopping online... I just got everything in place in the basement. Cleaned carpets, walls, everything. Any ideas on how to reason with them?? Liability concerns I could resolve? Anything? Throw me a bone here. Oh and they are raising the rent $300 come April (we did have a killer deal but still outrageous!!).
Lil'DinoEggs 02:37 AM 02-27-2014
When they gave you the go ahead, did you have it in writing?
Sugar Magnolia 03:24 AM 02-27-2014
You could try telling them you will be carrying lability insurance?
MCC 06:06 AM 02-27-2014
I am renting my house, we have an addendum in our lease that explains that I am allowed to have the business here, as long as I operate legally, licensed, and carry liability insurance.

How long have you been living there? It sounds like with the rent increase, maybe he is just trying to get you to move out? Maybe he wants to raise the rent much higher for a new tenant?
Unregistered 06:24 AM 02-27-2014
Are there laws where you live that prevent them for raising rates that high in a short period of time? I know here it can only be raised 2.5% a year.

Did you have any thing in writing regarding being able to open a daycare there?

Good luck, you must me so frustrated
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 02-27-2014
I don't know much about Utah rental laws but here is the renters handbook for your state. If it doesn't have anything specific listed about operating a business in your rental space, there may be some numbers or contact places listed that would be able to help you find an answer as to how to proceed.

http://www.thehomeownerscafe.com/doc...s-handbook.pdf

HTH
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:38 AM 02-27-2014
We don't rent so I'm not much help, but, yes, if you have it in writing that may help.

I would just try to talk with the landlord, and try to reassure them that everything about it is a positive:

The house will actually be better maintained, as clients expect a professional appearance.

I will be able to afford that $300 per month rent hike with my daycare business.

I will most likely be very long-term renters, because of the daycare.

Hopefully, they are decent human beings and will understand what a bind they are putting you in by being wishy-washy, and going back on their word.
missheather 09:49 AM 02-27-2014
I live in CA and I rent our home. We are legally allowed to run a home daycare (up to 6 kids) WITHOUT landlord approval. If we do have approval we can increase enrollment to 8 children.
We had to provide landlord a notice in writing which was provided to us by licensing. Thankfully our landlord approved us so we can have up to 8 children (although I only plan on having 6 children). She did request that we get liability insurance on the property and add her name to the policy.
We also plan to contact her this month to extend our lease for 2 years as we are planning to do a lot of upgrades to our backyard (which we are willing to pay for) as long we can ensure that we are staying for at least 2 more years.
You should check with your state licensing as well as your local resource office to see what your state laws say.
has_my_heart 03:44 PM 02-27-2014
Thanks for the help! The go ahead is in writing. It is just so weird to me because we know them from before, they approached us to rent because they wanted somebody they could trust and would take care of the house, we have, we've never been late on rent. When I first saw the email from them I thought "they want us out". I wonder if the daycare just threw them off. I wrote a proposal and pointed out how it could/would be mutually beneficial. Even offered paying for a fence for their property. I didn't even dispute the price change only their decision against the daycare. The price they gave is comparable to the area we just had a good deal. I'm hoping and praying they'll be reasonable!
Reply Up