Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>None of Them Are Napping...How Long is Fair?
MCC 12:19 PM 04-25-2014
We've had a rocky week with naps, but today is awful. All 6 of the kids sleep in the same room, always have, they never wake each other up. This week for some reason, the 14 month old who has always been a bad napper has been waking up the 9 mo, and then the 2 yo wakes up and gets off his mat and wakes up the 3yo. The 7mo and the 18mo seem to sleep through it all, except today.

I put them down at 1:40 today, and by 2:20 the entire room was a zoo, all the kids in cribs were crying and all the kids on mats were up walking around. We've been going in every 5 minutes to reset them all, but they all start screaming again when they see us. I am FIRM that once they are sleeping well on a routine, they remain in their cribs for 2 hours, however, I am feeling torn about today. We have gotten 2 of them up, but the older ones are still sitting on their mats, and the 14mo is still sitting in his crib, quietly, until I go check him, then he screams.

I moved the 7mo into another room, and she is asleep, but the rest have not been asleep at all. Do I give up? It's raining, so we can't get outside, the rest of the afternoon is going to be horrid.
MCC 12:22 PM 04-25-2014
I'll also add that my own 3yo DD, who hasn't been napping for the past 6 months, is asleep in her room...of course.
ihop 12:27 PM 04-25-2014
Ugh had a big reply that got deleted.
First of all to your ages in the group. I would be bald if I were you so kudos.
Secondly I would leave them because to me even a 5 minute break is worth the hassle.
That being said, I give myself a pass Friday if I mess up the routine. I know that parents will messs it up on the weekend anyway and the kids won't remember come Monday. I have my dcb,13mo a bottle today because he is sick and wouldn't drink without it. Well mom gives it at home so ill pick my battles on a Friday.

Have you tried sitting in there or standing in the doorway for a few just so the big kids know you mean business? I suppose if the babies see you that won't help....

In my early time this happened to me and I actually went in and whispered to each child that if they were noisy I was going to give them a time out.
IM not proud of it but they all went to sleep
kitykids3 12:46 PM 04-25-2014
Can you put a couple in different rooms to try to nap?
MCC 12:59 PM 04-25-2014
Ugh...this is so frustrating.

I know our ages seem crazy, but there are 2 of us here and we often split up the group through out the day, it's not so bad.

I kept them in there for the whole two hours. The 14mo fell asleep about 5 minutes ago, and I'm leaving him until his mom picks up.

The daycare is on the lower level of my house, and there are only 3 rooms, so I can do some separating, but I do not want kids napping in the play room, it makes me batty, and I feel like I don't get a break. I can split them into the main napping room, and our large motor room, maybe I'll try to come up with a plan for that... all the screamers in one room, all the sleepers in the other?
SignMeUp 01:32 PM 04-25-2014
That was pretty much my naptime yesterday
Our morning was fun. We did a bunch of glue &paper collages. My big kids asked if they could "broom" the floor for me
They were angels
And then...Dun...dun...dunnnnn...NAPTIME
But I am alive to talk about it (and so are they )
Stepping 04:54 PM 04-26-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
Ugh...this is so frustrating.

I know our ages seem crazy, but there are 2 of us here and we often split up the group through out the day, it's not so bad.

I kept them in there for the whole two hours. The 14mo fell asleep about 5 minutes ago, and I'm leaving him until his mom picks up.

The daycare is on the lower level of my house, and there are only 3 rooms, so I can do some separating, but I do not want kids napping in the play room, it makes me batty, and I feel like I don't get a break. I can split them into the main napping room, and our large motor room, maybe I'll try to come up with a plan for that... all the screamers in one room, all the sleepers in the other?
Ugh! The no nap days are not fun
I have a similar system here. I put all the good nappers in a quieter, darker room and the not so good nappers in our playroom. Then I sit in a chair with a view into both rooms while my assistant gets a break, then switch over so I can get a break.

I have a special box of books and quiet activities that I get out if the non nappers wake up. If they get off their beds or make too much noise, they lose their quiet time activity. I have them sit on their cots for the full two hours because I don't want to create a situation where they stay awake because they know they will be able to get up and play.
itlw8 07:10 PM 04-26-2014
most states have a regulation about how long they can be made to stay on a cot or in a crib if they are awake. 2 hours awake... I think is too long. but I also think if you have a chair in the room for an adult to sit in most of they will fall asleep. plus some classical music.

1 hour is the max in my state if awake.
Reply Up