Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Think This Through
TXhomedaycare 09:31 AM 05-30-2017
I have a 3 yo dcg that I have been watching since the beginning of the year. Her family has had issues with paying on time since they started (and issues with following the handbook). So I sent them a warning letter a few months ago and they started following the handbook but they still have issues paying on time. Today they have not called or said she is not coming but I assume she is not because they can't pay again just like last week (they paid on Thursday for the full week plus late fees and dcg only came one day last week since I was closed Friday). I am considering terminating them and calling families on my waiting list.

The first family on my waiting list wants a spot in August since she is a special ed teacher at my sons school 2 streets over and has been very excited about my daycare. The only issue is she does not need care until August. Should I call her and see if she is willing to hold the spot (I have no clue how much to charge) or should I just offer her the spot at full price now and if she declines call the others on the waiting list. I want to give her the opportunity and I don't mind holding the spot since it is only 2 months and they would make summer easier for me but I also hate missing out on the money depending on how much my holding fee is it could be a big loss. What do you think?
laundrymom 10:26 AM 05-30-2017
I would call. Let her know you have an opening. If she wants it fine. If she wants to wait call the next name on your list. And add her to the bottom.
Ariana 10:56 AM 05-30-2017
I personally would call her and ask her if she wanted to hold the spot for a fee. If not go to the next one on the list and let her know that you will need to do that.
TXhomedaycare 11:28 AM 05-30-2017
I think I will offer her the spot. What is a reasonable holding fee amount? For the one teachers kid that I watched in the past the fee was 50% for spring break and winter break but not for the full summer.
trix23 07:54 AM 05-31-2017
My weekly holding fee is 1/2 the tuition rate that they are interested in. Start calling your wait list people and doing the interview process. If they enroll, offer a spot with 2 weeks notice to the other family.
AmyKidsCo 12:27 PM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would call. Let her know you have an opening. If she wants it fine. If she wants to wait call the next name on your list. And add her to the bottom.
ITA. I'd contact the people on my waiting list and the spot would go to the first person to submit paperwork/payment. If the family didn't want to start when the opening was available they'd have to pay to hold it or take the chance of someone else taking it. I always figure out how much money I'd be losing to hold a spot and that helps keep my backbone strong.
daycare 01:23 PM 06-01-2017
This exactly what I do. They have to be ready whenever the spot opens. Let her know if she declines to enroll now you can't guarantee a spot in August.
trix23 03:09 PM 06-01-2017
What's ITA?
Unregistered 03:08 AM 06-02-2017
ITA = I totally agree.
Reply Up