Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Bites Himself
Baby Beluga 08:27 AM 03-01-2018
DCB, 5, is an interesting one. He is the one I posted about taking his blanket away.

He is sweet. He is smart. He is also manipulative, rough, loud and has listening ears that are "broken." This kid takes so much energy and is the type of kid that riles the entire group up.

Anyway, whenever he is separated from the group for rough behavior I notice him biting himself. I noticed him doing it last week and took a video. The bites were light and did not last. Today he bite himself 6 times and it was HARD. He did not draw blood, but the teeth marks were deep. When I questioned him about it, he said he wanted to see if he lost a tooth
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 03-01-2018
Has he been evaluated?
Ac114 11:00 AM 03-01-2018
Biting yourself can be a self soothing behavior, it’s usually seen in children with sensory issues. I would gently remind that we don’t bite ourselves and it’s not nice to hurt ourselves. He should eventually grow out of it. A lot of his behaviors point towards SPD or even ODD.
Ariana 11:04 AM 03-01-2018
Sounds like boredom to me. Is he a highly intelligent kid? Maybe he has outgrown your program.
Baby Beluga 11:48 AM 03-01-2018
No to an eval.

I am guessing SPD and/or ADHD. I don't think ODD.

He is not highly intelligent. Was tested for early admittance into K last summer and did not come close to passing. He tested very behind in motor skills. Socially, he is so/so. Vocab is great. Playing with others is mostly great. He is great at sharing and not grabbing. He is not gentle with his play though. He is great initially following directions, but then his lack of impulse control kicks in and I have to reign him in. He is very smart when it comes to things he enjoys (5 nights of freddy - whatever that is, ghostbusters, etc.)

He was in an in-home (mom called her a nanny, but it was actually an in-home setting.) Mom said provider said she would provider educational activities. Mom said no activities were provided. When asked DCB, he said they
"ate cereal and watched TV and when naughty they were put in the nap room." Who really knows what happened.

He joined my program about 1.5 months ago. He can barely write his name, can't recognize letters or numbers or most shapes. Needs guidance when using a glue stick. Is fine with colors and uses scissors well. He wants to learn. He wants to be liked. He loves being read to and gets very excited for learning activities.

I have never used the words "good boy or bad boy" with him. But every day he asks if he is being a "good boy." Makes me wonder who labeled him and allowed him to hear it in the past.

I don't think this situation was from comfort. I think he was angry and didn't know how to cope. He was playing rough with a toy, was told to be gentle or he would be removed from the activity. He continued playing rough, broke the toy and was then removed to his own area with an unbreakable puzzle. That is when the biting happened.

I just found it odd that he did it so hard. There are still teeth marks now. I took a pic and emailed mom and dad and explained what happened. He and I talked about anger, taking deep breathes, and how following class rules in the first place could have prevented all of this.
mamamanda 12:28 PM 03-01-2018
Absolutely sounds like spd to me. Even the rough play. He is probably sensory seeking & the bite feels calming to him oddly enough. Do you have any kind of a weighted lap blanket? You can make one pretty cheap. I'd try letting him sit with one when he's calming down. The pressure may cause a similar feeling of comfort in a healthy way. Also when he gets rough maybe try giving him some kind of heavy work. Wall push-ups, crawling around while balancing a beanbag on his back, pushing boxes with a few cans inside, etc. My kids all love doing "sushi roll." I lay out a large quilt & 1 at a time they lay on the blanket while I roll them up tight with just their head sticking out. Then I gently roll them back the other way. I have 2 with spd challenges & possibly a third. I'm thinking there may be a genetic component? Anyway, you might try something like that.
flying_babyb 08:52 PM 03-02-2018
had a kid like this, was also aggressive with the other kids, and rough. We got a "big hug" vest and he was like a new kid! Basically its a sensory vest. Its been a life-saver. Might be worth a try, also we did pressure points when he was feeling bad. Would start pressing on each finger going up the arms, then give a tight squeeze.
Tags:hurting themself
Reply Up