Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Sleeping Help
BentleysBands 03:49 AM 10-06-2010
question: how do u make a parent happy and keep her 4month old on her back? this child is rolling now and when i go to get from naps she is on her tummy..mom picked up the other day while child was sleeping, i get and she has the 'red' marks on face that shows she was on her tummy kwim? mom flipped
asked me to roll her back over when i see this....then questions me ..says she isnt rolling from back to stomach at home....well she IS here LOL
i have tried the sleep positioners and she screams, she hates her back! does this mom think i can seriously go in every 2mins-5mins and check then roll back over ? she will wake up and then scream all day from being tired...she is already a screaming baby !! drives me insane but i just love her to pieces....i am at my wits end tho ...any advice?
TGT09 04:27 AM 10-06-2010
I have one of these as well but mom says he does this at home so it's ok. I worried at first but she insisted he was fine. I would have a talk with her about it and explain what you just said, that it will wake her up and that's not good for anyone.
SilverSabre25 05:05 AM 10-06-2010
Gosh...pretty much every single one of my DCKs sleeps on their tummy. They roll themselves over and it's more than my life's worth to even dream of flipping them back over! Let sleeping babies lie!

That being said, I'm betting you have a very nervous first time mom on your hands. Ask her what she does at home when she finds her DD on her tummy--maybe it doesn't wake this kid up to roll her back over. Explain to mom that you'll do your best, but you have other kids to take care and can't go in there all the time or you'll risk waking the others up. Once she can get there herself, she's fine to be there.
BentleysBands 09:26 AM 10-06-2010
thansk so much for the advice i will talk with mom tonight
momma2girls 09:29 AM 10-06-2010
Yes, once they roll over on their own, there is nothing you can do about it!! I know parents tend to flip out at the time!! It's not like you can wake up the baby everytime you see them on their stomachs, it could be quite a few # of times in a nap period.
marniewon 09:46 AM 10-06-2010
So, does mom stay up all night long to flip the baby over if she rolls to her tummy?

Our regs say that babies are always to be put to sleep on their backs. However....if they roll, leave them. Just make sure you have a firm mattress, no toys, no pillows, no blankets in with them.

I understand being a nervous mom - I was one.....with ALL my kids! But, there are some things that you just can't control...not if you want to keep your sanity. Is there a reason that she's so nervous? A previous SIDS baby? Maybe suggest she talk to baby's doc to see what he/she thinks should be done about tummy sleeping (I'm betting they will say to leave the baby!).
MarinaVanessa 10:06 AM 10-06-2010
I'm in CA and licensing has a policy that says that infants need to sleep on their backs because of SIDS kwim? People are worried that an infant will smother itself if left on his tummy.

I had the same issue with a DCM and an infant and this is what I did. At first I flipped him over each time that he put himself on his tummy, the baby of course would wake up and cry. I kept flipping him over each time anyway until he got to the point that he was overly-tired and didn't get a good nap. He would then be super fussy the rest of the day so I quit. DCM flipped out and told me not to let him sleep like that so I asked her to tell me what she wanted me to do. She brought a sleep positioner and told me to use that. He hated it. He laid in the crib and cried and cried until his eyes got all puffy and red and I was worried that he would pop a vein or that his head would explode.

I reiterate to mom that the baby turned himself over and cried when I put him on his back or put him in the sleep positioner and ask her what source of action she recommended. Her obvious response was to flip him over onto his back again to which I responded by telling her that I had done that already several times over and over and that he would wake up when I did that and cried making him aggitated and fussy so that I needed a different plan. I did this on purpose so that she would be responsible for finding a solution that worked that she was happy with so that if it failed she could not put the blame on me, all I did was to show her that I would try everything she wanted me to try. She told me to let him cry it out, so I did. Each time he cried more than 15 minutes I called her at work and made sure that I was near him so that she could hear him and how miserable he was and just asked her what she wanted me to do. In the end after a miserable week and a day of phone calls to her work she finally let it go and told me to let him sleep on his belly. Maybe the fact that she had a fussy baby to take home each day helped because he sure wasn't getting any sleep here. Funny thing is that she also told me that he didn't sleep on his belly at home to which I found odd but who am I to say.

The way I see it is that if he flips himself over onto his belly on his own (which is way harder than flipping himself from his belly to his back) then he can sleep in that position. It's not like you're not there to check on him to make sure he's ok.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:46 AM 10-06-2010
My new mom said the same thing,.. then I found out he sleeps in the swing at home!!!!! I dont even HAVE a swing! lol
Childminder 11:04 AM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
i have tried the sleep positioners and she screams
Did you get the recall for the positioners? Can't use those here.

As far as our regulations we are required to check a sleeping infant every 15 minutes and if they have rolled over onto their stomach turn them over onto their back. Yep, the babies are going to sleep thru that all right.
kidkair 11:09 AM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
My new mom said the same thing,.. then I found out he sleeps in the swing at home!!!!! I dont even HAVE a swing! lol
Letting kids sleep in swings is worse than letting them flip over to their bellies. Babies should always be placed on their backs but if they flip let them sleep just keep checking on them every 10 minutes. I know someone who's 8 month old died from SIDS and he had started flipping himself over at 4 months. Unfortunately there is little we can do to prevent it if it's going to happen. One way I've gotten babies to stay on their backs is to get them nearly to sleep or sleeping in my arms before I put them in the crib rather than fully awake where they still have the energy to move around a lot.
BentleysBands 03:42 AM 10-07-2010
Thanks so much for the insight!

I talked with the mom last night at pickup...she still swears baby doesnt flip for her. thankfully i was smart and took a video of it at yesterdays naptime
I showed her and she was super surprised! still requested i flip over each time. I expressed to her that it wasn't possible to do this all the time. I check on baby every 10-15mins, door is cracked open and i have a monitor with me. nothing is in pnp with baby either. the ONLY time i move a child is when they have scooted up to the corners kwim? imo SIDS can happen no matter what position a child sleeps. back in the day it was stomach for babies, then yrs later it was the side, now the back...no one knows why it happens IMO ...long story short, she still wants me to flip and i told her i will ONCE during nap, after that i will not. babies need rest and i cant handle a screaming tired baby. that if thats not good she may have to find other care. i have done childcare for over 24 yrs and raised 4 kids of my own, i'm very qualified she then says "omg, we dont want anyone else, we want and love you" ...so hopefully things will be smoother . i can only hope.
momma2girls 02:30 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
Thanks so much for the insight!

I talked with the mom last night at pickup...she still swears baby doesnt flip for her. thankfully i was smart and took a video of it at yesterdays naptime
I showed her and she was super surprised! still requested i flip over each time. I expressed to her that it wasn't possible to do this all the time. I check on baby every 10-15mins, door is cracked open and i have a monitor with me. nothing is in pnp with baby either. the ONLY time i move a child is when they have scooted up to the corners kwim? imo SIDS can happen no matter what position a child sleeps. back in the day it was stomach for babies, then yrs later it was the side, now the back...no one knows why it happens IMO ...long story short, she still wants me to flip and i told her i will ONCE during nap, after that i will not. babies need rest and i cant handle a screaming tired baby. that if thats not good she may have to find other care. i have done childcare for over 24 yrs and raised 4 kids of my own, i'm very qualified she then says "omg, we dont want anyone else, we want and love you" ...so hopefully things will be smoother . i can only hope.
GOod for you for standing up for what is right!! GOod luck!!
Tags:infant, sleeping infants
Reply Up