Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call From the Sheriff's Office...
busymommy0420 05:43 PM 01-02-2013
I was called this morning from a "restricted" number. I answered the phone and the person claimed they were from my counties sheriffs office and just needed to verify I still am running an in home daycare. I said Yes and that was it. I am a licensed provider, I did send in a form to the fire department and the sheriff's office when I opened that I was a daycare. Has anyone else ever had a follow up call a year or so later?
MyAngels 07:56 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
I was called this morning from a "restricted" number. I answered the phone and the person claimed they were from my counties sheriffs office and just needed to verify I still am running an in home daycare. I said Yes and that was it. I am a licensed provider, I did send in a form to the fire department and the sheriff's office when I opened that I was a daycare. Has anyone else ever had a follow up call a year or so later?
I would call the Sheriff's office and ask them if they called you. It sounds a little fishy to me, but then I don't have to make our local government agencies (other than DCFS) aware that I'm running a daycare, either.
seebachers 09:46 PM 01-02-2013
probably to send you an updated Sex Offender photo in your area. In my county, they hand deliver the sex offender photos of anyone that has moved into my area within in certain radius of my home. You would be surprised at who you live by.
sharlan 10:09 PM 01-02-2013
I doubt a sheriff's office would use a blocked or restricted number.
Mom&Provider 05:12 AM 01-03-2013
I'd definately call their office to cofirm and if not tell them right away what has happened. Sounds a bit off to me even if you have sent them info before.
Willow 06:14 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I'd definately call their office to cofirm and if not tell them right away what has happened. Sounds a bit off to me even if you have sent them info before.
Agree!

If it wasn't them I'd definitely report it and then be extra vigilant about keeping doors locked for awhile.

I never answer blocked or restricted numbers, if it's anything legitimate they'll leave a message.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
ALL phone calls from our Sheriff's office, police office and DHS offices come up "unavailable" or "unknown" in our area.

However, the FIRST thing the caller does is verify who they are and who to contact if we have questions.

Like other's have suggested, I would call and double check. I would also call my licensing office and give them a heads up about a "strange" call you got. They might also be able to let you know if it was standard practice or not.
sharlan 08:30 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ALL phone calls from our Sheriff's office, police office and DHS offices come up "unavailable" or "unknown" in our area.

However, the FIRST thing the caller does is verify who they are and who to contact if we have questions.

Like other's have suggested, I would call and double check. I would also call my licensing office and give them a heads up about a "strange" call you got. They might also be able to let you know if it was standard practice or not.
The very few I have received showed up as the local PD. The officer identified himself by name and badge number, also gave a callback number.
daycare 08:37 AM 01-03-2013
one thing that I always do when someone calls, is ask for the name of the person that I am talking to, what department they are calling me from and a phone number that I can call them back on if I have any more questions.

If they can't supply me with that, then I won't give them any information.

that does sound fishy to me too, but instead of letting all of us freak you out any more, I would call and just verify the phone call...

let us know how it goes
VTMom 10:03 AM 01-03-2013
I agree with the others. Recently we had a couple who were going to people's homes claiming they were from CPS and investigating claims of child abuse. In some, they actually had contact with the child. I believe the intent was to remove the child. As far as I know, they haven't found the imposters yet. So scary.

Please be vigilant. Better safe than sorry.
itlw8 11:45 AM 01-03-2013
I had a call once someone was on the sex offenders registry and they needed to know how close I was. After telling her how many childcares were in the neighborhood they told him no way. But it was probation and parole not sheriff.
busymommy0420 04:56 PM 01-03-2013
Thanks... I have a call into my Licenseor and will hopefully get information on where the call came from. I only answered YES that I run a daycare. I did not get asked any other questions. I will no longer answer RESTRICTED calls, that was great advice.
Lucy 07:12 PM 01-03-2013
You might check with your phone company to see if you have the calling feature where you can block out ALL restricted numbers. I have it.

The caller who is restricting their name and number from showing up on your caller id hears a message saying something like, "the person you are calling does not accept blocked calls. Please hang up and then dial *xx (not sure what numbers) to UNblock your information, and then place your call again."

It forces them to call you UNrestricted if they really want to get a hold of you. It's worth calling your phone company to find out. It might even tell you how to do it in the front few pages of your local phone book. Mine does, but I'm in a fairly small town too.

Anyway, that's my advice!
Crystal 07:19 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
You might check with your phone company to see if you have the calling feature where you can block out ALL restricted numbers. I have it.

The caller who is restricting their name and number from showing up on your caller id hears a message saying something like, "the person you are calling does not accept blocked calls. Please hang up and then dial *xx (not sure what numbers) to UNblock your information, and then place your call again."

It forces them to call you UNrestricted if they really want to get a hold of you. It's worth calling your phone company to find out. It might even tell you how to do it in the front few pages of your local phone book. Mine does, but I'm in a fairly small town too.

Anyway, that's my advice!
Ah Ha! Thanks for sharing this information! I get "restricted" calls ALOT and am incredibly sick of it.
coolconfidentme 09:22 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
All police depts in our town use blocked phone numbers when calling someone.
Tags:weird
Reply Up