Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Get a Text You Weren't Suppose To?
childcarebytori 08:25 PM 05-24-2011
I was setting up breakfast for my early arrivers and I got a text from a parent of one of them (who had just dropped off) that said: "Just dropped off dcg at daycare. They're having waffles for breakfast....again! Maybe I should just feed dcg breakfast at home."

I was confused for half a second before I realized the text was meant for the dcm's husband and not me. I served eggs on Monday (yesterday) and we have belgin waffles once a week as it's always a hit, I'm not sure I see why that was a problem. Who doesn't like waffles?

I didn't reply to the text and I never heard from her after that. The dcd picked up today and I never mentioned the text. I'm pretty sure the mom knew that she had sent the text to the wrong person since she never got a text back from her husband who was suppose to get it.

Anyone have a similar experience? Would you reply back and say 'oops, wrong person' ? Ignore it? Serve waffles tomorrow and proudly show to dcm? I'm just kidding on that last part......really.....
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:33 PM 05-24-2011
Give me her number and i will text her saying that it could be worse, he child could starve! No but really I would just tell her that you serve waffles once a week and the kids love them and next time be sure to complain about my services to the RIGHT person! That is just rude.
sharlan 08:35 PM 05-24-2011
Some parents are unreal.
MamaBear 09:16 PM 05-24-2011
I had a similar thing happen to me.

A couple years ago I had changed my closing hours from 5:30pm to extend to 6pm --- I changed it because I had 2 families at the time that really needed the later hours and so I stupidly decided to do it for them. (Since then I changed to closing at 5pm)

Anyway - I sent an email to all the daycare parents about the change of hours and one of the daycare moms that this would have benefited from this increase in hours sent an email to me that was intended for the husband. She had forwarded my email to her husband (actually to me) and she said something like: "Oh look - What a sucker! She decided to make her closing at 6pm!!! she must be afraid she'll lose a kid if she doesnt do what we want!! hahaha! We got what we wanted. That was too easy!"

OOOHHHH I was steaming mad! I replied to the email and simply said "Wow... I guess I wasn't supposed to receive that email. Glad to know thats how you feel. I will have all of your children's items ready for you to take home today when you pick up. Your contract is terminated effective immediately". I probably reacted before I should have thought about it... but i was so hurt and sooo mad. And how could i continue helping a mom that obviously talks crap about me.

She arrived at my house about 2 hrs later CRYING! She kept saying how sorry she was and that it was a mistake, blah blah blah. I was caring for 2 of her children - a newborn and a 2 yr old and giving her a great sibling rate. Anyway - I stuck to my guns and I told her I couldnt provide care for her anymore. She was crying (without any tears) and when I handed her the receipts and all the children's items she went from fake crying to angry.
I never saw them again.
Lucy 09:28 PM 05-24-2011
Not Daycare related, but I've DONE this. Had a text convo back & forth with someone who was clearly grumpy. So I summarized it and sent it to my sis-in-law with the ending statement, "crabby much??" But I sent it to the grumpy one by mistake. She replied back, "Um, I don't think this was meant for me." All the blood rushed from my face and I felt like crap. Within a few seconds, I decided I better call her. She says it was ok and that we all get "that way" sometimes. I'm still friends with her, but I don't think she was honest with me. I think it really made her mad. Heck, it would make ME mad if it were the other way around. I get nauseous just thinking about it. Not one of my better moments. And you better bet that now I double and triple check the recipient's name before I hit send!!!!
countrymom 03:18 AM 05-25-2011
for spite, I would make waffles again today. I wouldn't say anything, I bet you mom realized that she sent it to the wrong person.
nannyde 03:56 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I was setting up breakfast for my early arrivers and I got a text from a parent of one of them (who had just dropped off) that said: "Just dropped off dcg at daycare. They're having waffles for breakfast....again! Maybe I should just feed dcg breakfast at home."

I was confused for half a second before I realized the text was meant for the dcm's husband and not me. I served eggs on Monday (yesterday) and we have belgin waffles once a week as it's always a hit, I'm not sure I see why that was a problem. Who doesn't like waffles?

I didn't reply to the text and I never heard from her after that. The dcd picked up today and I never mentioned the text. I'm pretty sure the mom knew that she had sent the text to the wrong person since she never got a text back from her husband who was suppose to get it.

Anyone have a similar experience? Would you reply back and say 'oops, wrong person' ? Ignore it? Serve waffles tomorrow and proudly show to dcm? I'm just kidding on that last part......really.....
I would have texted her back and said "yes that's a great idea for you to do breakfast at home for little X. I KNOW she would have having that special time with you every morning and I'm sure you could provide a variety of foods that is more to her liking". AWESOME idea. Let's start that tomorrow.
dEHmom 04:56 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would have texted her back and said "yes that's a great idea for you to do breakfast at home for little X. I KNOW she would have having that special time with you every morning and I'm sure you could provide a variety of foods that is more to her liking". AWESOME idea. Let's start that tomorrow.
i like this option!
WDW 05:23 AM 05-25-2011
LOVE this!
Cat Herder 05:23 AM 05-25-2011
I like Nan's suggestion.

I probably would have texted back "Of course we had waffles, it was Tuesday, Silly!! If you don't want her having waffles, definitely give her breakfast on Tuesdays. Have a great morning! "

Oh, and yes I did get an inappropriate text once, an photo of an um.... appendage with his lunch hour schedule. His GF and I have the same first name.

I had a newfound respect for him and he avoided me like the plague for the next year until DCB went to preschool. Ah, the cell phone generation.
Kaddidle Care 05:41 AM 05-25-2011
to the above post!

I like Catherder's response best but I would probably just ignore it as best as I could.

We all make mistakes and MamaBear's former client knows what a big one she made. Who's the sucker now?

Always check again before you hit send...
wdmmom 05:49 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:

A couple years ago I had changed my closing hours from 5:30pm to extend to 6pm --- I changed it because I had 2 families at the time that really needed the later hours and so I stupidly decided to do it for them. (Since then I changed to closing at 5pm)

Anyway - I sent an email to all the daycare parents about the change of hours and one of the daycare moms that this would have benefited from this increase in hours sent an email to me that was intended for the husband. She had forwarded my email to her husband (actually to me) and she said something like: "Oh look - What a sucker! She decided to make her closing at 6pm!!! she must be afraid she'll lose a kid if she doesnt do what we want!! hahaha! We got what we wanted. That was too easy!"

OOOHHHH I was steaming mad! I replied to the email and simply said "Wow... I guess I wasn't supposed to receive that email. Glad to know thats how you feel. I will have all of your children's items ready for you to take home today when you pick up. Your contract is terminated effective immediately". I probably reacted before I should have thought about it... but i was so hurt and sooo mad. And how could i continue helping a mom that obviously talks crap about me.

She arrived at my house about 2 hrs later CRYING! She kept saying how sorry she was and that it was a mistake, blah blah blah. I was caring for 2 of her children - a newborn and a 2 yr old and giving her a great sibling rate. Anyway - I stuck to my guns and I told her I couldnt provide care for her anymore. She was crying (without any tears) and when I handed her the receipts and all the children's items she went from fake crying to angry.
I never saw them again.
LMBO!!!

What a good dose of KARMA!

and she deserved every last bit of it!
meganlavonnesmommy 05:50 AM 05-25-2011
I would have been so ticked off! She should be happy you are serving a hot breakfast to her child! We routinely have food items once a week if its something the kids really like.

I definately would have responded, or confronted her at the end of the day.
I would have said something about if you have a problem with my program or the way I do things, please let me know. Discuss it with me, dont talk behind my back. I take constructive criticism well, and want parents to talk openly with me.

But I love Nan's suggestion also.
nannyde 05:54 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Oh, and yes I did get an inappropriate text once, an photo of an um.... appendage with his lunch hour schedule.

Text back:

Yes that is when we are having lunch and yes we are having http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2476978537 for desert. See you then.
DCMom 05:57 AM 05-25-2011
There is NO WAY that I could have stopped myself from responding! I like Nan's response alot! lol
Mom_of_two 06:06 AM 05-25-2011
LOVE Nan's response!!! LOL.
Made me sad to read this!! Waffles are a nice breakfast. We had waffles today-haha. And wonder what she would do at home! Sigh. Keep us posted.
AfterSchoolMom 06:22 AM 05-25-2011
How old is DCG? I'd ask Mom how many times in the last month they've been to McDonalds.
KEG123 06:27 AM 05-25-2011
We have waffles normally once a week here too! YUM! As long as they're home made and not the frozen kind, I do NOT see a problem.
Stacy214 06:31 AM 05-25-2011

Love this! Kill em with kindness hehe

And I have mistakenly texted the wrong person but nothing bad..so far...however I ALWAYS check when sending the text especially if I am speaking privately of someone..that would be one of my worst nightmares. Sending a racy sexy text meant for my hubby but getting to my MOM
jen 06:33 AM 05-25-2011
I would absolutely send Nan's text...
Zoe 06:36 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
Love this! Kill em with kindness hehe

And I have mistakenly texted the wrong person but nothing bad..so far...however I ALWAYS check when sending the text especially if I am speaking privately of someone..that would be one of my worst nightmares. Sending a racy sexy text meant for my hubby but getting to my MOM
My brother and I both have blackberry messenger as well as both our spouses. If we aren't careful we sometimes message each other instead of a spouse, and yes, this has included VERY embarrassing racy things. So embarrassing, but at least we're close enough that we can laugh about it.

I have gotten a text from a dcm once at 2:30 in the MORNING saying "are you coming home yet?" Nothing bad, just unfortunate timing. I was pretty p-od that I got woken up by a wrong text number. This woman isn't the brightest, so it wasn't very surprising.
dEHmom 06:45 AM 05-25-2011
i am always careful what i say in text, much the same as online. I FEAR it being discovered by someone else. Sometimes online if you google the right things, we all know what can happen.

i also figure that since the cell phone companies can see each text, they might be jerks and well, if they wanted to, could probably cause some harm. they would probably be out a job, but most of us know what happens when someone knows they are about to get canned, are canned or whatever else.

i have on occassion sent the wrong text to someone, but nothing was ever bad about it. friends of mine who are married both their names start with the same letter, sometimes while scrolling and then touching the name, the screen jumps a bit, and you might select someones name by accident. usually whoever is right before or after the one you are looking for.
MamaBear 06:54 AM 05-25-2011
That sounds perfect!
PitterPatter 06:56 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:

Oh no I would def reply to that. I would have said we only serve waffles once a week but I like your idea. Thanks for serving your child breakfast from now on this will help my budget.
PitterPatter 06:57 AM 05-25-2011
PERFECT This exactly!!
SilverSabre25 07:00 AM 05-25-2011
And if dcg ate at home I'm fairly sure she'd have either instant oatmeal or more likely, cold cereal or a granola bar every day instead of the yummy hot breakfast you're making!

I bet dcm has an idea that waffles are bad/unhealthy.
Cat Herder 07:14 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
There is NO WAY that I could have stopped myself from responding! I like Nan's response alot! lol
I had to cut him a break..... He was recently divorced and trying to get back into the dating scene. Obviously he was just a bit overzealous....

Nan, your response would have been perfect!! I fear he would have moved to another state if I had gone there, though... He actually had his mother do drop-off and pick-ups for a while, big baby.
Live and Learn 07:46 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
And if dcg ate at home I'm fairly sure she'd have either instant oatmeal or more likely, cold cereal or a granola bar every day instead of the yummy hot breakfast you're making! .
Yup!

I don't provide breakfast but wow! What an ingrate!
momofboys 07:48 AM 05-25-2011
I may not have replied but I WOULD make a lot of subtle hints to her about how you vary your breakfast each week & NEVER serve the same items too frequently. Gee whiz I'd be ticked!
childcarebytori 08:57 AM 05-25-2011
So DCM dropped off this morning and dcg (3.5yo) had a half finished baggie of fruit loops in her hands. Mom is extra sugary nice and explains that dcg begged for the cereal this morning. Dcg quickly hands mom back the baggie and rushes to play with another child and the baby dolls.

DCM: "Here, 'L', come and get your cereal, mommy has to leave for work"
DCG: "Can you keep it in the car for when you pick me up, Mommy? I'm not hungry anymore."
DCM: "Sure, 'L'."

(DCM leaves and 'L' immediately asks what's for breakfast)

DCG: "Mommy only gave me cereal, Miss. And she forgot the milk! Isn't that mean?" (stands in front of me with her hands on her hips and her signature 'teenage' face)
Me: "No milk?! Silly mommy! We are having bagels and oranges, would you like some?"
DCG: "Yes, please."

I love my kids.

Thanks for the suggestions (especially Nannyde and catherder) everyone. I'm saving this entire threat for future reference!
SilverSabre25 09:12 AM 05-25-2011
hahahaha that's an awesome update. Smart kid--she knows where the good breakfast is!

(and I totally called it, btw...how the heck are fruit loops better than waffles, bagels, etc? Parents are so darn weird sometimes!)
Zoe 09:36 AM 05-25-2011
That is awesome. Way to go dcg! Too bad the mom wasn't around for that entire conversation.
Kaddidle Care 10:52 AM 05-25-2011
Oooh - the bad girl in me might accidentally text a friend about the silly Mom that thought fruit loops were more nutritious than homemade waffles.

Ah well - great thread - I've enjoyed the entertainment.
daycare 11:24 AM 05-25-2011
she probably gives her fruit loops and pop tarts.... or even worse Fastfood drive through.

I think that I would say something to the parent. It's obvious that she is unhappy with the care that you are providing. Which means if she is talking that way about you to her husband, who else is she saying these things to? Other parents, prospective clients?

I would just bring it up at pick up or drop off and let her know. Remind her that you have an open communication policy and you realize that you can't please everyone all the time but you try your best. To me it sounds like the breakfast is a small issue to complain about becuase there are other things that are bothering this parent... When something goes wrong, pleople tend to nit pick about everything...

I would talk to the parent and not leave any unhappy parent in my care... JMO
Childminder 11:46 AM 05-25-2011
Perfect case of expecting more from the provider than what they do themselves. The pickup before the next waffle day tell mom that "breakfast will be the weekly waffle day tomorrow so be sure to feed your child before you bring her."

I had a text once from DCM meant for her m-i-l that the DCD was in jail in another state, and she was trying to get his mom's help with bail. I did text back to let her know she had sent it to me, she was frantic. I'm pretty open with my parents she would have told me anyhow, I seem to be mother confessor or the local psychologist. Maybe from all those years of mentoring teen moms.
AfterSchoolMom 12:01 PM 05-25-2011
I've never gotten a text like that, but I have had a parent answer my craigslist ad, looking for other care (not knowing it was me) when I didn't even know they had any issues in the first place.
Live and Learn 12:53 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I've never gotten a text like that, but I have had a parent answer my craigslist ad, looking for other care (not knowing it was me) when I didn't even know they had any issues in the first place.
Funny!
Christian Mother 01:20 PM 05-25-2011
This is kind of off from the subject but I texted a parent a response once and put the smiley face at the end only to find that at the last min. it said ho instead...

I managed to stop the text...I was horrified...now I know that I need to make sure that everything is correct before sending my text out...how embarrassing!!
CdnMumof4 01:24 PM 05-25-2011
hahaha too funny.

as for breakfast, I'd say as Nanny did- "Great idea, lets start that tomorrow" less grief for you!! I provide a monthly menu, but only put lunch on it- some kids come already fed, but they always have a morning snack..which is usually what the others are having for 'breakfast'.. just in smaller portion.
daycare 01:25 PM 05-25-2011
I once accidentally hit reply to all in an email that was meant for one person..... Somone asked how my blind date went and I said horrible. He was bald and ugly. Didin't realize that I sent it to the blind date and his sister too....I felt so stupid

today's technology can really get you into trouble if you don't watch out!
dEHmom 03:18 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I once accidentally hit reply to all in an email that was meant for one person..... Somone asked how my blind date went and I said horrible. He was bald and ugly. Didin't realize that I sent it to the blind date and his sister too....I felt so stupid

today's technology can really get you into trouble if you don't watch out!
i hear it's one of the top reasons for divorce rates
Abigail 05:41 PM 05-25-2011
Oh, and yes I did get an inappropriate text once, an photo of an um.... appendage with his lunch hour schedule. His GF and I have the same first name.

I had a newfound respect for him and he avoided me like the plague for the next year until DCB went to preschool. Ah, the cell phone generation.
Wow, did you respond or ever mention it got sent to you or did neither or you ever mention it? LOL

Originally Posted by MamaBear:

I never saw them again.
Who is going to start a book for the funnies in daycare?
Cat Herder 06:26 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Wow, did you respond or ever mention it got sent to you or did neither or you ever mention it? LOL
I did not have to. When he did not get a reciprocal text back from her he checked to make sure it went through and it showed that it was sent to me. I just laughed and deleted.

He did have to pick-up that day and I just smiled and said "I hope your day got better." and he said "Yeah, not much worse...." red faced and did not make eye contact.

After that his mom did all the pick-up's and drop-offs for long while. He still works with my husband and his EX-GF still avoids eye contact when I see her around town. Small towns can be so much fun .
SandeeAR 06:35 AM 05-26-2011
When you hit to send a text, it automatically goes to the "to" part of the text. I move it to the keyboard part and write my entire text before I ever, but in a name to send it to. That gives me a chance to proof read, before it could accidentally get sent, worded wrong or to the wrong person.
Cat Herder 06:38 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
When you hit to send a text, it automatically goes to the "to" part of the text. I move it to the keyboard part and write my entire text before I ever, but in a name to send it to. That gives me a chance to proof read, before it could accidentally get sent, worded wrong or to the wrong person.
I bet you have first and last names on everyone in your address book, though.

You would be shocked at how many folks just type in the first names....
SandeeAR 07:02 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I bet you have first and last names on everyone in your address book, though.

You would be shocked at how many folks just type in the first names....

I have the first names on most, however, if I have two people with the same name, yep, I do have the last name in my contacts.
Sugar Magnolia 11:14 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
. I'm pretty open with my parents she would have told me anyhow, I seem to be mother confessor or the local psychologist. Maybe from all those years of mentoring teen moms.
Right on sistah! I get a lot of that too! We should all charge extra for parenting advice and relationship counseling! Lol!

Waffles=yummy!
Wrong texts=funny! (I do symathize with your hurt feelings though)
Unregistered 02:33 PM 05-26-2011
Darn..I wish I would get something like that from a dcm...I'd love to know what some of them say behind my back...and I could have so much fun texting back...LOL!

I accidentally sent an email to someone one time that was meant for my friend BUT I sent it TO the person we were talking about ( a mutual friend) This person went through a nasty break-up and I commented that he was going to be so much better off without that skanky, gold digger in his life ..WHOOPS!!! I realized almost immediately what I had done so I sent another one begging his forgiveness and he was very gracious and said he agreed with me 100% !

After that I very carefully checked what I was doing...LOL!
Missani 09:01 PM 05-26-2011
I like Nan's suggestion.

I probably would have texted back "Of course we had waffles, it was Tuesday, Silly!! If you don't want her having waffles, definitely give her breakfast on Tuesdays. Have a great morning! "

OMG, Catherder! I'm convinced you have seen EVERYTHING! That certainly counts!

I also like the one about the craigslist ad. That is so funny...but I would have been kind of mad, too!
Reply Up