Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thread About Baby With Swollen Head
sharlan 08:01 AM 08-30-2011
I was looking for the thread about the baby with the swollen head, but couldn't find it this morning.

Is there an update on this baby?
Unregistered 07:49 PM 08-30-2011
I really want to see an update too. I had a baby in care w/ enlarged head and would very much like to know how this one is doing. Please update!
sahm2three 08:46 AM 08-31-2011
It was my dcbaby with the swollen head. I called and insisted that mom come get him and take him to the doc and she did. Problem is, it wasn't their regular doc and mom didn't mention his head being enlarged. So they did the regular sick baby check, but didn't check his head. I am pissed. She brought him back with a doc note saying to continue the mirilax until baby is regular. I still feel in my heart something is wrong with him. His head is growing very oddly. My 10 year old ds said he looked like Megamind. It is just the top and forehead that is growing. I started a journal to cover my butt if something happens. Not sure what else to do! He is super tired all the time and very cranky. I do worry, but mom doesn't seem too concerned. Thanks for checking up on us. He has an appt on the 15th with his regular doc. So hopefully either he finds something the matter so he can be treated or rules that he just has a big odd shaped head.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
It was my dcbaby with the swollen head. I called and insisted that mom come get him and take him to the doc and she did. Problem is, it wasn't their regular doc and mom didn't mention his head being enlarged. So they did the regular sick baby check, but didn't check his head. I am pissed. She brought him back with a doc note saying to continue the mirilax until baby is regular. I still feel in my heart something is wrong with him. His head is growing very oddly. My 10 year old ds said he looked like Megamind. It is just the top and forehead that is growing. I started a journal to cover my butt if something happens. Not sure what else to do! He is super tired all the time and very cranky. I do worry, but mom doesn't seem too concerned. Thanks for checking up on us. He has an appt on the 15th with his regular doc. So hopefully either he finds something the matter so he can be treated or rules that he just has a big odd shaped head.
This whole situation makes me VERY nervous.

Is the baby's head enlarged or is it simply mis-shapen? Having a large head size can be caused my a multitude of things and one of them is Shaken Baby sydrome.

I honestly do not mean to alarm you but if this child has a head that is truly swollen, there is no way on God's green earth I would allow him into my care without a doctors note specifically addressing the head size issue so that you will never be put in the position of having to defend yourself or the mother in the worst case scenario.

Please do not let this issue go unaddressed. For EVERYONE's best interests.
laundrymom 09:43 AM 08-31-2011
Listen to this,

Please. Listen. Tell mom your concerns. Tell her your husband/son/mom stopped by and immediately asked if he had fallen. That his head looked like he had fallen. Tell you hadn't noticed so much because you see him but that you started looking at pics and think he needs to be seen.
Tell her that you are worried about the swelling, and will need a note explaining why he is swelling before allowing him to attend.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This whole situation makes me VERY nervous.

Is the baby's head enlarged or is it simply mis-shapen? Having a large head size can be caused my a multitude of things and one of them is Shaken Baby sydrome.

I honestly do not mean to alarm you but if this child has a head that is truly swollen, there is no way on God's green earth I would allow him into my care without a doctors note specifically addressing the head size issue so that you will never be put in the position of having to defend yourself or the mother in the worst case scenario.

Please do not let this issue go unaddressed. For EVERYONE's best interests.

Stacy214 10:31 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Listen to this,

Please. Listen. Tell mom your concerns. Tell her your husband/son/mom stopped by and immediately asked if he had fallen. That his head looked like he had fallen. Tell you hadn't noticed so much because you see him but that you started looking at pics and think he needs to be seen.
Tell her that you are worried about the swelling, and will need a note explaining why he is swelling before allowing him to attend.

I agree!!!!! I would personally be so bothered by the fact that the Mother doesn't show total concern..I would be freaking out if it were my baby. Plus, I just don't trust people, God forbid something horrible is wrong and she turn the tables on you ...I agree with the others, get a note from her regular doctor.
Crystal 10:37 AM 08-31-2011
Call CPS. Now.
Meeko 10:43 AM 08-31-2011
If something happens, and questions are asked, she WILL try and put blame on you. Please don't let her put you in that position.
Meeko 10:50 AM 08-31-2011
This scenario may be extreme...but are you willing to gamble?

Mom shakes baby/Mom hits baby/ Mom drops baby.
Baby's head swells.
Mom brushes off comments by you because she wants to sweep it under the rug.
Mom refuses to seek medical care because she knows questions will be asked.
Baby has seizures/ or dies in your care. You call paramedics and baby is taken to the hospital. Hospital staff start asking the mom awkward questions.

Mom acts shocked, cries and blames you for the injuries.

Maybe it's as simple as his head is growing fast and it will even out later. But maybe not. Again...or you willing to gamble?
nannyde 10:55 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Call CPS. Now.
What she said
laundrymom 10:58 AM 08-31-2011
Or

Baby has fluid building on brain and mom really doesn't see it. Either way. Get this baby seen.

Hey Sally, can you please take Jake in and tell doc his head is changing.

Originally Posted by Meeko60:
This scenario may be extreme...but are you willing to gamble?

Mom shakes baby/Mom hits baby/ Mom drops baby.
Baby's head swells.
Mom brushes off comments by you because she wants to sweep it under the rug.
Mom refuses to seek medical care because she knows questions will be asked.
Baby has seizures/ or dies in your care. You call paramedics and baby is taken to the hospital. Hospital staff start asking the mom awkward questions.

Mom acts shocked, cries and blames you for the injuries.

Maybe it's as simple as his head is growing fast and it will even out later. But maybe not. Again...or you willing to gamble?

Crystal 12:14 PM 08-31-2011
She already asked Mom. Mom took child to doctor, who was not his ped. and failed to tell dr. about the head swelling, which was specifically the reason she took the child to the doctor. THAT is EXTREMELY neglectful. I would not hesitate for ONE SECOND to call CPS.

SAHM....PLEASE do not wiat until the next appointment on the 15th to take action. This child's life may depend on it.
Country Kids 12:57 PM 08-31-2011
What I don't understand and maybe I'm picturing this baby's head very differently is if it is that swollen and misshapened how come the doctor didn't notice it. Even if the child wasn't seen by his normal doctor, a doctor is going to pick up on the fact that a childs head isn't looking normal. A child with hydrospyphalis is very noticeable! Also, I'm sure the doctor would have looked in his eyes, ears, etc. so he would have felt the head and noticed it. Are you sure she took the child to the doctor?
sahm2three 08:04 PM 08-31-2011
Thanks everyone. I talked to her again tonight. She said her older son's head was just like that baby's. I told her that it startled me because his head growth was what I noticed after not seeing him for 2 weeks. I told her it wasn't just the size, but also the WAY it was growing. She just laughed and said that it was the same as the older child. I don't know. Maybe. But why would EVERYONE (my assistant, my kids, my husband, etc) all notice his head shape/size?! He seemed better today, ate better and more interactive (smiling and "talking"). I contacted my licensor and she made note of all of this and asked if I felt there was neglect or mistreatment going on, and I haven't noticed anything else before this. Kids are always clean and happy to see them. I just don't know.
countrymom 06:44 AM 09-01-2011
I have kid with a misshapen head. And you know why, because he was left all the time laying in his carseat, or the stroller or the bouncer, so now the back of his is so flat (I can take a book it it lays flat) the one side buldges out and the the front is odd, top heavy too. I seen kids like this that are even worse.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have kid with a misshapen head. And you know why, because he was left all the time laying in his carseat, or the stroller or the bouncer, so now the back of his is so flat (I can take a book it it lays flat) the one side buldges out and the the front is odd, top heavy too. I seen kids like this that are even worse.
I've had lots of kids with funky shaped and even large heads but the OP said swollen so I think depending on what she really means, this is or isn't a big deal.

I am still curious as to whether the child actually has swollen head or if he is just one of those little guys whose head appears to be out of size context compared to the rest of his body.

To me swollen means puffy, bulging, or distended or not looking at all normal.

Enlarged just means bigger than most kids or big in comparison to his body. If that is the case, it would explain why the doctor (whether the child's own or another) was not alarmed.

I think waiting until the 15th is a loooong time to wait since the OP noticed a large growth spurt in a two week time period of not seeing the child. I also think that we should not assume that the doctor did or didn't addresss the head size since we have no proof of it since mom is the one relaying the info. Maybe the doctor did say something, maybe the doctor is concerned and documenting his suspicions but mom didn't relay that info because IF (and I mean IF, as in worst case scenario) there is some type of medical or abuse situation going on then she can and will blame the provider.

Not to mention that if I were a parent who was maybe shaking my kid, the last thing I would do is bring him to the doctor and say "Look at his head! Isn't it swollen?"

This whole situation is just not sitting well with me. Why would a parent who was asked to pick up theri child from daycare BECAUSE of the head concern bring him to a doctor for a sick child check? If the parent was aware of the exact reason why the child was being sent home, why would THAT not be the reason for a doctor's visit? I mean I don't tell parents to come pick up a puking child so they can bring him to the dentist...kwim?

OP- Please define what is wrong with the child's head? Swollen, just big, flat or whatever? I think that will solve alot of this uneasiness.
sahm2three 08:17 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've had lots of kids with funky shaped and even large heads but the OP said swollen so I think depending on what she really means, this is or isn't a big deal.

I am still curious as to whether the child actually has swollen head or if he is just one of those little guys whose head appears to be out of size context compared to the rest of his body.

To me swollen means puffy, bulging, or distended or not looking at all normal.

Enlarged just means bigger than most kids or big in comparison to his body. If that is the case, it would explain why the doctor (whether the child's own or another) was not alarmed.

I think waiting until the 15th is a loooong time to wait since the OP noticed a large growth spurt in a two week time period of not seeing the child. I also think that we should not assume that the doctor did or didn't addresss the head size since we have no proof of it since mom is the one relaying the info. Maybe the doctor did say something, maybe the doctor is concerned and documenting his suspicions but mom didn't relay that info because IF (and I mean IF, as in worst case scenario) there is some type of medical or abuse situation going on then she can and will blame the provider.

Not to mention that if I were a parent who was maybe shaking my kid, the last thing I would do is bring him to the doctor and say "Look at his head! Isn't it swollen?"

This whole situation is just not sitting well with me. Why would a parent who was asked to pick up theri child from daycare BECAUSE of the head concern bring him to a doctor for a sick child check? If the parent was aware of the exact reason why the child was being sent home, why would THAT not be the reason for a doctor's visit? I mean I don't tell parents to come pick up a puking child so they can bring him to the dentist...kwim?

OP- Please define what is wrong with the child's head? Swollen, just big, flat or whatever? I think that will solve alot of this uneasiness.
I say swollen because it is SOOOOO much bigger than it was before. And the way it has grown is odd. It is very veiny too. What shocks me the most is the forehead. It seems to be pushing the face down, like squashing his little face. Does that make sense? His little face looks so tiny compared to the top and front of his head. Another dcmom who was here the other day (and is a nurse and good friend of mine), I asked her as a nurse, what did she think of the shape and size relation of his head. She didn't find anything terribly disturbing, but hadn't really noticed him much before. So maybe I am just noticing something that isn't there. It isn't squishy like it is retaining fluid like a foot or hand that is swollen. He does seem happier, so maybe I am jumping to conclusions. But when my observations were confirmed by other people like my own kids, my assistant, and my husband, it got me worried. I honestly don't think that there is any abuse going on, the 2 year old rules the roost and I think that they may not discipline enough. So to think they would hurt either one of them....don't think so.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I say swollen because it is SOOOOO much bigger than it was before. And the way it has grown is odd. It is very veiny too. What shocks me the most is the forehead. It seems to be pushing the face down, like squashing his little face. Does that make sense? His little face looks so tiny compared to the top and front of his head. Another dcmom who was here the other day (and is a nurse and good friend of mine), I asked her as a nurse, what did she think of the shape and size relation of his head. She didn't find anything terribly disturbing, but hadn't really noticed him much before. So maybe I am just noticing something that isn't there. It isn't squishy like it is retaining fluid like a foot or hand that is swollen. He does seem happier, so maybe I am jumping to conclusions. But when my observations were confirmed by other people like my own kids, my assistant, and my husband, it got me worried. I honestly don't think that there is any abuse going on, the 2 year old rules the roost and I think that they may not discipline enough. So to think they would hurt either one of them....don't think so.
Thank you for clarifying. I just really want to make sure this will not come back to bite you in some way or other later. Maybe take a picture of him every few days or so and just keep it in file until he sees his doctor on the 15th.

I have had a child in care who had such a huge head that mom had to cut open the neck of all his shirts or they wouldn't fit over his head so I kinda know what you mean. My dck though had documentation from the doctor that they were monitoring his head growth so I felt comfortable.

As I said, I am only concerned for you (well an obvioulsy the child too but..) I just want to make sure you aren't ever put in a bad position..kwim?
Unregistered 10:58 AM 09-01-2011
A friend of mine has a son like this and there's actually nothing wrong with him, just that his head is huge and forehead is huge, otherwise, he's perfectly healthy. It's probably just some sort of birth defect or something.
Tags:swollen head
Reply Up