Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phone Interviews...
Angelwings36 07:09 AM 04-12-2012
When you conduct a phone interview what kind of questions do you ask. I am thinking I will do phone interviews before I meet in person and I need some advice on what to ask.

Thanks.
wdmmom 07:14 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
When you conduct a phone interview what kind of questions do you ask. I am thinking I will do phone interviews before I meet in person and I need some advice on what to ask.

Thanks.
Age of child/ren
Days per week they are needing care
Drop off time
Pick up time

If this works within your hours, I continue on with:

Whereabouts do you work and live?
Is the child in care now?
Reason for leaving?

Then I go into a little detail about how I run my daycare.

I then ask if they are interested in setting up a time to meet.

If so, they have to contact me the day of the interview to confirm they are still coming. I then give them my address.

I decided to laminate a copy of my handbook. It is the copy that they can review while they are here.

If they choose to set up a second interview and pay the deposit, I provide them with their own copy. I've found that this has cut down cost a lot!

MrsB 07:29 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Age of child/ren
Days per week they are needing care
Drop off time
Pick up time

If this works within your hours, I continue on with:

Whereabouts do you work and live?
Is the child in care now?
Reason for leaving?

Then I go into a little detail about how I run my daycare.

I then ask if they are interested in setting up a time to meet.

If so, they have to contact me the day of the interview to confirm they are still coming. I then give them my address.

I decided to laminate a copy of my handbook. It is the copy that they can review while they are here.

If they choose to set up a second interview and pay the deposit, I provide them with their own copy. I've found that this has cut down cost a lot!

I do just about everything wdmom does but I always ask where and what hours they work first and then ask when they were needing care. Kind of gives me a heads up to their priorities. KWIM?

Laminating is a good idea! I always email them a copy of the handbook after the phone interview so they can review it before they come. Seems to cut down on me having to read and explain each and every item during a tour.

I also tell them they have to confirm with me between 8-11am on the morning of the interview or else it will be cancelled. TOO MANY NO SHOWS!
wdmmom 07:46 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I do just about everything wdmom does but I always ask where and what hours they work first and then ask when they were needing care. Kind of gives me a heads up to their priorities. KWIM?

Laminating is a good idea! I always email them a copy of the handbook after the phone interview so they can review it before they come. Seems to cut down on me having to read and explain each and every item during a tour.

I also tell them they have to confirm with me between 8-11am on the morning of the interview or else it will be cancelled. TOO MANY NO SHOWS!
Sorry..I do also ask what the parents work and the hours they are needing care.

I don't work for families that "pad" their daycare hours.

Kind of like I explained in an earlier week post:

I had a DCM that was a teacher interview. She didn't tell me she was a teacher until the day of the interview! She worked clear across town but lived nearby (which to me meant an additional hour per day of daycare), and DCD worked 2pm to 10pm. Can you tell me again why you are needing daycare from 7am to 4pm when DCD is home until 115pm?!
MrsB 08:01 AM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Sorry..I do also ask what the parents work and the hours they are needing care.

I don't work for families that "pad" their daycare hours.

Kind of like I explained in an earlier week post:

I had a DCM that was a teacher interview. She didn't tell me she was a teacher until the day of the interview! She worked clear across town but lived nearby (which to me meant an additional hour per day of daycare), and DCD worked 2pm to 10pm. Can you tell me again why you are needing daycare from 7am to 4pm when DCD is home until 115pm?!
Oh I'm sorry, I didnt mean to insinuate that you do allow to pad their hours! I was trying to say that I found it easier to weed out the "padders" by asking what their work hours are first and then ask what hours they need. It didnt come out that way after I read it back!
frugalmama4 08:21 AM 04-12-2012
Good Morning,

Angelwings36, I have a form I just typed up for myself...if you pm me your email I will send it over.

I have put it to use twice now...and got to really good interviews so far.

Good Luck!
Canadianprovider 09:00 PM 04-12-2012
What's a padder?
Reply Up