Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Ever Had to Give Term Notice In Person?
Countrygal 03:42 PM 12-11-2012
How did it go?

I would love to just email them, unfortunately they don't have email. I feel a text would be cumbersome.

So my only option is mail or in person.
daycare 03:50 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
How did it go?

I would love to just email them, unfortunately they don't have email. I feel a text would be cumbersome.

have you ever just typed up a letter sending that home. I have done it certified mail before.

I would talk to them in person first and see if its something that we could fix. If they don't seem to be on board with fixing the issue, I would then tell them that I just don't feel that its going to work out anymore and that you will be terming their care. I would then type something up for them to sign.
lovemykidstoo 04:02 PM 12-11-2012
I have never termed by email or text. I have always done it face to face. I've only termed twice in the past 12 years. I think that it really is something that shouldn't be done over an email unless things are soo horribly wrong that there is a concern about safety.
SunshineMama 04:05 PM 12-11-2012
I handed them a letter at pick up, and said to read it when they got home and call me with any questions.

They were peeved they were being termed but we kept it amicable for ther last 2 weeks.
sharlan 04:36 PM 12-11-2012
The only terms I have done have always been in person. I've never termed by text, email, or even phone.
Heidi 04:37 PM 12-11-2012
I believe in doing it in person when possible.

In your case, I know you're due money. So, taking their cash and then saying "oh, by the way" would be very akward.

When I termed that family last year, it was really akward because it was over behavior. I felt like I was essentially saying "your kids are just too awful to come here'. So, I didn't say much, just that after careful consideration, I'd decided that our arrangement needed to end. THen, I handed her the letter in an envelope, which gave no reason, just the business side.

When she pressed for a reason, I just said "There is nothing I can say to make this easier for you, so I am not going to explain it. We've already talked through everything, and I have no desire to rub salt in the wound".

She was mad, but she tried to maintain a professional demeanor the last 2 weeks. In her job, I'm sure she has to do that all the time.
Countrygal 05:40 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
have you ever just typed up a letter sending that home. I have done it certified mail before.

I would talk to them in person first and see if its something that we could fix. If they don't seem to be on board with fixing the issue, I would then tell them that I just don't feel that its going to work out anymore and that you will be terming their care. I would then type something up for them to sign.
I've talked til I'm blue in the face. We've even had a sit down meeting about the issues. The trial period has gone on for four months and the issues remain unchanged.
Countrygal 05:44 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:

In your case, I know you're due money. So, taking their cash and then saying "oh, by the way" would be very akward.

When I termed that family last year, it was really akward because it was over behavior. I felt like I was essentially saying "your kids are just too awful to come here'. So, I didn't say much, just that after careful consideration, I'd decided that our arrangement needed to end. THen, I handed her the letter in an envelope, which gave no reason, just the business side.

When she pressed for a reason, I just said "There is nothing I can say to make this easier for you, so I am not going to explain it. We've already talked through everything, and I have no desire to rub salt in the wound".

She was mad, but she tried to maintain a professional demeanor the last 2 weeks. In her job, I'm sure she has to do that all the time.
I'll probably do it this way.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It's my first term and I think I've gone out of my way to try to make it work with no favorable results. If and when they come back (I've told them I need *** amount of money before they do - one weeks worth paid in advance since they refuse to pay on time) I'll hand them the letter in an envelope and tell them that it just hasn't worked out.

Thanks all!
brookeroo 05:48 PM 12-11-2012
I would then type something up for them to sign.
I see people doing this all the time. Why do you have them sign a termination? At that point I would think they would be so peeved that they would refuse to do anything for you. Like one more thing to argue or battle about. It just seems like you already have a contract that they signed so why not just give them the termination letter and be done with it?

Not judging just trying to understand...Maybe it's something I will change to if it seems necessary.
daycare 05:49 PM 12-11-2012
got it...it is easier than you think.....

have you documented that past NO/late payments?

If so, I would just tell them at drop off. I am really sorry, but this is just not working out. I hate to have to cut ties with your family, but I have decided that this is what is best for all of us. I will really miss daycare kid, but friday will be his last day. I really hope that you understand that this is not personal and I made this decision from a business perspective. It really is what is best for the daycare at the end of the day.

Then hand her a list of your local R&R. Tell DCM I printed out a copy of the local R&R, they will provide you with a list of childcare homes/facilities for you to look at. They might even be able to help you find out if you qualify for help making your payments. I really do wish you the best of luck.

I have done it over the phone, which I don't recommend, because I feel people will say more than they would if you were face to face. Same goes for emails.
Countrygal 05:53 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
I see people doing this all the time. Why do you have them sign a termination? At that point I would think they would be so peeved that they would refuse to do anything for you. Like one more thing to argue or battle about. It just seems like you already have a contract that they signed so why not just give them the termination letter and be done with it?

Not judging just trying to understand...Maybe it's something I will change to if it seems necessary.
I was wondering the same thing - other than to prove they got it, which I'm not sure you'd have to prove, just document.....
Countrygal 05:54 PM 12-11-2012
got it...it is easier than you think.....

have you documented that past NO/late payments?

If so, I would just tell them at drop off. I am really sorry, but this is just not working out. I hate to have to cut ties with your family, but I have decided that this is what is best for all of us. I will really miss daycare kid, but friday will be his last day. I really hope that you understand that this is not personal and I made this decision from a business perspective. It really is what is best for the daycare at the end of the day.

Then hand her a list of your local R&R. Tell DCM I printed out a copy of the local R&R, they will provide you with a list of childcare homes/facilities for you to look at. They might even be able to help you find out if you qualify for help making your payments. I really do wish you the best of luck.

I have done it over the phone, which I don't recommend, because I feel people will say more than they would if you were face to face. Same goes for emails.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I decided to do, but I like the verbage you use here! Thanks for the suggestions! Oh, and I give out weekly statements, so all payments are documented on the statements ( or lack thereof )
daycare 05:56 PM 12-11-2012

I make them sign a document that says that should they decide to stay at the daycare after receiving notice of termination that they agree to continue to follow all of the rules of the daycare.

I have them sign it, so that it can't go back and forth saying NO you did not term me, you did not tell me yada yada yada.

In the term letter/notice it also states how much they will owe and when their last day is. This way we are fully understanding each other...
Chatter Box 06:13 PM 12-11-2012
that's interesting, I will have to change to that.
daycarediva 07:12 AM 12-12-2012

I have a termination letter that is generic. I can check a reason, but I usually don't unless it's obvious. I have the parent sign. I sign and date and that's that. It usually protects my butt when they try to take me to court (happened once) and I pull out a paper stating that they were termed, their fees due at that time (or refund, etc). I have NEVER had a parent not sign it, and I have had a couple of VERY BAD terminations.
daycarediva 07:14 AM 12-12-2012
Childcare Letter of Termination

This letter is to inform you ________________________that as of ________________________I will no longer be able to offer childcare services to:

Child Name: ____________________

[ ] I will continue to provide child care services until____________________.

[ ] Care is terminated effective immediately.

I am Terminating the childcare contract for the following reason(s).
Reason given:

[ ] Violation of contract or parent handbook by parent.

[ ] NSF check

[ ] Failure to pay fees in accordance to the contract

[] Parent/Provider differences

[ ] Child behavior
[ ] Other _________________________________________________________________
In accordance with my Policies and Contract, you are required to pay for my services up to the last day of services provided.

Amount due at this time: $________________due on Friday________________.

Provider Signature __________________________Date_____________

Parent Signature ___________________________Date______________
MarinaVanessa 07:39 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have never termed by email or text.
Neither have I ... well I have never termed in text and I have sent an email but it was a copy of the termination letter that I had already given them in person.

My personal opinion: We are business owners and even though this business is very personal because we get to know children and their families I believe that a certain level of professionalism should be maintained. To me even though I accept texts and emails as forms of communication it's only used for things that aren't very important like to remind them they are low on supplies or to notify me that their chid will be absent for the day.

I would personally never use email (and deffinetely not text ever) as the only form of communication when terminating a family. Even when giving them a written term letter the letter only briefly summarizes and puts in writing that they are terminated because I want to keep something in writing in their file but I only hand it to them after talking to them in person. The only time that I would ever simply mail them a termination letter without talking to them in person would be if the I could not personally speak to them and if they were unreachable by phone. I just think from a parent's perspective and I feel like I'd be really upset if I was terminated and wasn't given notice personally.
MarinaVanessa 07:46 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I do it in person too. My termination letter can depend on the reason for termination. When it comes down to behavior (the child's or the parent's) then I tend to leave it very generic as to "not salt the wounds" as Heidi put it. If it has to do with late/non payment, breaking policies etc. then I will list the reason why but I don't delve into it. I talk to them personally and then just list the reason why.
wdmmom 07:49 AM 12-12-2012
I termed on the spot once. It went over like a screen door on a submarine!

I termed because DCD was way too comfortable. He tried bogarting my staff assistant right in front of me!! He asked how much I was paying and he offered her more money if she'd quit and go to work for him directly!!! Lucky for her dedication to me and her wonderful sense of humor, she told him that he couldn't afford her!! After that incident, I told the family they were on probation and if something like that happened again, they'd be termed on the spot. The next week, DCD had enough nerve to not only ask my staff assistant again but said he liked her watching the kids better than me!! Termination letter was drawn up and they were sent packing that day. DCM picked up s she got the noticed and cussed me out all the way to the car. She told me she didnt like the kids coming to my place anyway. Funny because they never missed a single day!!!

ThEN...dcd shows up at my house after hours!!! Apologizing. I thanked him for his apology and closed the door. Well...dcd must have thought an apology meant we were resuming our working relationship because he showed up the next day!!!!! I didn't answer the door or my phone.

He left only one message that said something along the lines of...I thought since I apologized we were good. Now you're not answering the door. Whatever man, Merry Christmas!
crazydaycarelady 07:53 AM 12-12-2012
I have only termed twice but they have both been in person. One of them turned into dcm screaming at me in the driveway about how I was handling the situation all wrong. I met her in the driveway because I did not want a fight in front of the dckids inside, she wanted to come inside.
Play Care 07:59 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
How did it go?

I only would term in person. I sometimes think that we put way more thought/worry/care into ending a professional relationship than there needs to be. So we agonoize over doing it just the right way or saying just the right thing. All that needs to be said is "I wanted to let you know that it's been a pleasure to care for Susie but as of x date, I will no longer be able to provide care for your family." I have a form letter that I also include with the verbal notice that gives several options as to why I am letting the family go. I make sure to cominicate honestly with clients so nothing is a surprise. If a parent is going to be upset, they are going to be upset no matter what. The only thing we can do is behave as professionally as possible to contain any fall out.
Good Luck!
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I only would term in person. I sometimes think that we put way more thought/worry/care into ending a professional relationship than there needs to be. So we agonoize over doing it just the right way or saying just the right thing. All that needs to be said is "I wanted to let you know that it's been a pleasure to care for Susie but as of x date, I will no longer be able to provide care for your family." I have a form letter that I also include with the verbal notice that gives several options as to why I am letting the family go. I make sure to cominicate honestly with clients so nothing is a surprise. If a parent is going to be upset, they are going to be upset no matter what. The only thing we can do is behave as professionally as possible to contain any fall out.
Good Luck!
Welcome to the forum! Your status has been upgraded so you can post without moderation
allsmiles 09:15 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I termed on the spot once. It went over like a screen door on a submarine!

I termed because DCD was way too comfortable. He tried bogarting my staff assistant right in front of me!! He asked how much I was paying and he offered her more money if she'd quit and go to work for him directly!!! Lucky for her dedication to me and her wonderful sense of humor, she told him that he couldn't afford her!! After that incident, I told the family they were on probation and if something like that happened again, they'd be termed on the spot. The next week, DCD had enough nerve to not only ask my staff assistant again but said he liked her watching the kids better than me!! Termination letter was drawn up and they were sent packing that day. DCM picked up s she got the noticed and cussed me out all the way to the car. She told me she didnt like the kids coming to my place anyway. Funny because they never missed a single day!!!

ThEN...dcd shows up at my house after hours!!! Apologizing. I thanked him for his apology and closed the door. Well...dcd must have thought an apology meant we were resuming our working relationship because he showed up the next day!!!!! I didn't answer the door or my phone.

He left only one message that said something along the lines of...I thought since I apologized we were good. Now you're not answering the door. Whatever man, Merry Christmas!
TERRIBLE..
Reply Up