Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Knock Out!
mrsnj 10:15 AM 04-03-2014
Yes. Happy Thurs to me!

Got music on. Kids dancing. One turns and trips and falls right into the corner of a kid sized wooden table set on the side! She gets up stunned and starts to cry. There is some light blood. Nothing big. So I pick her up and start cleaning her up. Slight little nip on her lower lip but nothing major...till one of the kids says something is on the floor. Its her FRONT TOOTH! I go back and lift her upper lip up and there is a nice little gap. Lordy give me strength! Seriously!!

I clean her up. Child was actually not doing bad. Little blood. It was a clean knock out. But we did the whole gauze and cold ice water etc. I put the tooth in the milk and called mom. Now most dentists now a days just leave it if its a baby tooth but I cannot make that decision for mom. I spend an hour and half calling. No one answers. About two hrs later mom calls and says leave it. Ok. No biggie. Child is playing and eating lunch at this point in time. I get ready to bag it for her to take home to the tooth fairy.

Then she calls back to say she called the dentist and the dentist wants ME to reinsert! Oh -ell NO! First it should be done at a dentist. Second I am NOT doing it. So mom says she is on way to do it herself. Hey. Whatever!!

Mom gets here and attempts. I think she is trying to insert it backwards but there is little time to debate as the child is freaking out. Mom attempts a second time and.....drops it down the childs throat.

Ends up leaving her here totally upset cause she thought she was going home. Mom has to go back to work. I put the kids down for naps and her and I had some icecream. I think we deserved it!!

Seriously. Can the day get any better????
CraftyMom 10:22 AM 04-03-2014

I had a dcg hit her mouth and was so afraid she had knocked a tooth out but didn't. The feeling of thinking she knocked a tooth out was horrible, I can't imagine how you felt when you saw the tooth missing!

Accidents happen! I wouldn't want the responsibility of trying to put it back in either. Shouldn't mom have taken her to the dentist when she couldn't do it herself? Or had it been too long at that point?
llpa 10:25 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
Yes. Happy Thurs to me!

Got music on. Kids dancing. One turns and trips and falls right into the corner of a kid sized wooden table set on the side! She gets up stunned and starts to cry. There is some light blood. Nothing big. So I pick her up and start cleaning her up. Slight little nip on her lower lip but nothing major...till one of the kids says something is on the floor. Its her FRONT TOOTH! I go back and lift her upper lip up and there is a nice little gap. Lordy give me strength! Seriously!!

I clean her up. Child was actually not doing bad. Little blood. It was a clean knock out. But we did the whole gauze and cold ice water etc. I put the tooth in the milk and called mom. Now most dentists now a days just leave it if its a baby tooth but I cannot make that decision for mom. I spend an hour and half calling. No one answers. About two hrs later mom calls and says leave it. Ok. No biggie. Child is playing and eating lunch at this point in time. I get ready to bag it for her to take home to the tooth fairy.

Then she calls back to say she called the dentist and the dentist wants ME to reinsert! Oh -ell NO! First it should be done at a dentist. Second I am NOT doing it. So mom says she is on way to do it herself. Hey. Whatever!!

Mom gets here and attempts. I think she is trying to insert it backwards but there is little time to debate as the child is freaking out. Mom attempts a second time and.....drops it down the childs throat.

Ends up leaving her here totally upset cause she thought she was going home. Mom has to go back to work. I put the kids down for naps and her and I had some icecream. I think we deserved it!!

Seriously. Can the day get any better????
First, I went then at the " dropped it down child's throat" part.. I sorry , it just made me lol.... But I am totally sorry for your crazy day! You deserve way more than ice cream. And can you imagine what mom would say if YOU dropped the tooth down her throat!?!?
mrsnj 10:33 AM 04-03-2014
RIGHT!? I thought the same thing! Imagine if I put it in wrong or I dropped it! No way!

I was more shocked cause I didn't even notice it was out!! It looked like she hit her lower lip. I couldn't see the upper! I was shocked to see it gone! I wouldn't have bothered myself. At that point in time it had been two hours. I would have gone to the dentist or let it go. I SURE wouldn't attempt it myself even if it was my kid! The gum was still raw. The hole closing from it going down. And you are trying to jam and spiky tooth BACK IN? NOOOOOOOOO But whatever.

I told the DCG the tooth fairy would now have to tickle her tummy to get that tooth! LOL! Listen...what are ya gonna do. If it is was my school age kids I would have freaked out. It was a baby tooth. Is what it is. Can't place the kids in bubble wrap....although sometimes I think I should!
taylorw1210 10:35 AM 04-03-2014
Poor girl and poor you! Ice cream was definitely well deserved.

I want to know why the heck a dentist would tell the mom to tell you to put the tooth back in!?
llpa 10:45 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
RIGHT!? I thought the same thing! Imagine if I put it in wrong or I dropped it! No way!

I was more shocked cause I didn't even notice it was out!! It looked like she hit her lower lip. I couldn't see the upper! I was shocked to see it gone! I wouldn't have bothered myself. At that point in time it had been two hours. I would have gone to the dentist or let it go. I SURE wouldn't attempt it myself even if it was my kid! The gum was still raw. The hole closing from it going down. And you are trying to jam and spiky tooth BACK IN? NOOOOOOOOO But whatever.

I told the DCG the tooth fairy would now have to tickle her tummy to get that tooth! LOL! Listen...what are ya gonna do. If it is was my school age kids I would have freaked out. It was a baby tooth. Is what it is. Can't place the kids in bubble wrap....although sometimes I think I should!
I agree!! My grandson (5) fell getting out of the car and knocked his front tooth out. Of course mama freaked but the dentist said honestly it isn't worth the hassle of putting it back. He was a pediatric dentist. So they took him at his word lol and he is just fine. But you still deserve a treat
CraftyMom 10:47 AM 04-03-2014
How old is dcg?
sally 10:53 AM 04-03-2014
My dd was 5 when she was riding her bike and thought it would be cool to let go of the handle bars with both hands. She smacked her face on the pavement (the helmet doesn't protect the mouth) and knocked 1 of her baby teeth out (first tooth too). I cleaned her up and call the dentist the next morning. He wanted to see her but only to make sure she didn't damage anything else and had to watch the teeth next to it for a few days to make sure they didn't turn dark from any unseen damage. Everything turned out fine. Kids are so resilient.
preschoolteacher 11:26 AM 04-03-2014
I have NEVER heard of trying to put a baby tooth back in. Can it really go back? How would it even stay??? That is beyond weird to me. They are meant to fall out eventually... crazy!
SilverSabre25 11:36 AM 04-03-2014
poor sweetie! That's so nice of you to give her ice cream. Well deserved for BOTH of you!
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 04-03-2014
I'm sorry but that is hilarious...

But, I am not understanding the re-insert it part...

Why would a dentist tell the DCM to put it back in? What is going to make it stay put? The root is already broken so I don't see how it would stay in...

My DS had a bottom front tooth knocked out when he was about 4. The dentist had us just leave it out. He said the only thing to watch for was sometimes the jaw bone will grow over the hole the tooth left if it was knocked out too far before the adult tooth is forming underneath and if that happened, the bone would need to be cut away or the adult tooth that needed to come in would find an alternate route...like through the side and my DS would have a really crooked tooth.

It never happened so it worked out ok but when teeth get knocked out, it freaks me out.

I would have issue with the mom not being reachable though for 2 hours... what if it was an emergency or the tooth could have been put back by the dentist.... by the time 2 hours passed, a lot of clotting happens so that window of opportunity may have passed.

I'd also have had an issue with DCM coming and not taking the DCG with her... poor little gal. She obviously thought the same thing. I also would have felt better had she brought her to the dentist just in case. kwim?

Sorry you had such a crazy afternoon! Let's hope the rest of today and Friday are so awesome that it more than makes up for it!
sahm1225 11:44 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I have NEVER heard of trying to put a baby tooth back in. Can it really go back? How would it even stay??? That is beyond weird to me. They are meant to fall out eventually... crazy!
I had a similar situation w a clean knocked out tooth. It was nap time and dcb 2 wouldn't sleep. He was running & fell face first into one of plant pots (the cute clay type ones. I can't remember what they're called). The amount of blood was horrible! I kept cleaning his mouth & it kept coming. I thought he cut his tongue but then I saw the tooth. The dcm took him to the dentist & they just xray to make sure the whole tooth was out and that there was no nerve damage.

I think your dcm was following a 'friends' advice & not her dentist. Because honestly, why would someone inexperienced put a tooth back in??
Crazy8 11:50 AM 04-03-2014
sorry you had such a rough day!! I have never heard of trying to reinsert the tooth??? what the heck would hold it in place??
melilley 12:03 PM 04-03-2014
Oh my word!
I've never heard of putting a baby tooth back in either, that's interesting.
Hope you have a better afternoon!
CraftyMom 12:08 PM 04-03-2014
I have heard of putting a tooth back in but for a permanent tooth, not a baby tooth. I'm questioning whether or not mom actually spoke to the dentist. It's likely the dentist would have said bring her in to be sure there was no other damage to the gums, etc
TwinKristi 02:01 PM 04-03-2014
I just texted my BFF who's a pediatric dental assistant. She works in a really high end office and worked in a ghetto office before so either way she'll know! LOL

First, ouch!! Poor DCG!!
Second, put it back in?? I'm with you... Oh hell no!
Third, TGIT!! which means tomorrow is Friday!!
Unregistered 03:47 PM 04-03-2014
I worked for a pediatric dentist for years. You can reinsert a baby tooth if the root is still attached and if it is within an hour of the accident. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible for a parent or caregiver to accomplish this because it is very painful and really requires numbing the area. In our office we would leave it up to the parent to decide. Most would choose to leave it out but that is a tough decision especially if it is a 2yr old. Those permanent teeth usually don't come in until 6yrs old so that is a long time to look toothless. There is an option of placing a partial to replace the tooth. They actually look real and are not removable so can be a good solution.
Sorry that happened today! Stressful!!
TwinKristi 04:25 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I worked for a pediatric dentist for years. You can reinsert a baby tooth if the root is still attached and if it is within an hour of the accident. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible for a parent or caregiver to accomplish this because it is very painful and really requires numbing the area. In our office we would leave it up to the parent to decide. Most would choose to leave it out but that is a tough decision especially if it is a 2yr old. Those permanent teeth usually don't come in until 6yrs old so that is a long time to look toothless. There is an option of placing a partial to replace the tooth. They actually look real and are not removable so can be a good solution.
Sorry that happened today! Stressful!!
Yeah I asked my friend who's the Ped DA and she said adult teeth this is more common but baby teeth are rare. She recommended to put it in milk and get to dentist ASAP!!
mrsnj 10:47 AM 04-04-2014
Mom was scheduled to take her today but canceled it. I don't blame her. It was not broken off. The only thing I would worry about is any damage to surrounding teeth n if there is it won't show for a while. Right now they look heathy n tight. I wouldn't put her through anymore.

On the other hand I know she didn't take her cause work is more important which is why mom wanted me to insert in the first place! She didn't want to leave work *rolling eyes*
Reply Up