Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed CA home daycares & owning a dog rules?
mandy2552 09:53 PM 03-30-2015
Hi! I am opening a home daycare in the few months. I can't find anything on the CA licensing website about rules and regs about owning a dog. I am going to be separating my dogs 100% of the time from the children just to be safe but what are the rules? If I have them in a dog run is that sufficient? Or do they needed to be crated in another room? In a separate yard divided by a fence?
My friend said CA requires you to build two gates for dogs to be separated. Is this true?

I have sweet dogs, I am just trying to follow all the rules and be as safe as I can be!

Thanks and any advice is appreciated!
spedmommy4 10:15 PM 03-30-2015
I'm in California too. I have read the entire regulations manual and there is nothing in it about pets. I have dogs and my licensing analyst loved them. She didn't ask to see shot records or the dog run. (And she was very thorough)

My dogs are super sweet, but I do keep them separated from the kids. You never know how they'll react to an over zealous tail yank.
mandy2552 10:17 PM 03-30-2015
Oh good! I am happy to hear that! I wasn't sure how strict they were about how you kept them separated! Thanks
daycare 10:24 PM 03-30-2015
I'm in CA and you won't run in to issues with licensing regarding pets. you will with your liability insurance and home owners once they find out you have a daycare and kids.

My liability insurance has zero dog policy while my home owners has limited dog breed. It all depends on who you choose to purchase your liability insurance from.
mandy2552 10:39 PM 03-30-2015
Ok thank you! I'm assuming they also have to dog licenses? I need to make sure mine are updated on licenses
Crystal 07:14 AM 03-31-2015
The only requirement is that they have their rabies vaccinations.
Starburst 07:21 AM 03-31-2015
I used to work at a home daycare in CA where the owner had a dog who was free range all day during daycare hours (black lab; my boss even took the dog with her to the salon and bank and they would always give her treats). As long as the dog wasn't what they consider an 'aggressive breed' (pitbulls, rottweilers, etc.), up to date shots you don't need to separate them; though that might be more for if you plan on getting daycare insurance. Dven some homeowner insurances won't cover certain breeds of dogs.
sharlan 07:42 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
The only requirement is that they have their rabies vaccinations.
correct answer

You will find a lot of misinformation. You do not have to double gate the dogs.
Daycare Insurance 02:37 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I used to work at a home daycare in CA where the owner had a dog who was free range all day during daycare hours (black lab; my boss even took the dog with her to the salon and bank and they would always give her treats). As long as the dog wasn't what they consider an 'aggressive breed' (pitbulls, rottweilers, etc.), up to date shots you don't need to separate them; though that might be more for if you plan on getting daycare insurance. Dven some homeowner insurances won't cover certain breeds of dogs.
When it comes to dogs and insurance Starburst is correct. Every insurance company is different but our policy for example will not cover an injury relating from a bite of "Vicious" breeds such as pit bulls, dobermans, bull mastiffs, Akitas, German Shepards etc. If that dog is owned by you. However, if you were out with the children say walking to the park and a stray vicious breed came out of no where and bit a child, you would have coverage.

We know that most household pets and most breeds are loving animals but every animal can be provoked unbeknownst to the child. Dog bites can result in pretty substantial liability claims.
mandy2552 06:40 PM 03-31-2015
Ok Thanks everyone!
I want to separate them, just because you never know regardless of the type of dog/breed. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to have 1 on the premises!
Reply Up