Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Troubles
Peaches 12:41 PM 12-16-2015
i need advice, I'm having major trouble with nap time lately. I watch five daycare kids; 2 4.5 yr olds, 2.5 and twin 2 yr olds. Lately the 4yr olds are getting restless/dispruptive during nap so i started having them do other quiet activities during quiet time but then since they are up they think its play time and are even louder. I can bring the 4 yr olds upstairs but cant seperate them further due to my space. Im constantly reminding them to be quiet which is causing the younger ones to wake earlier and earlier. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions are appreciated
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 12-16-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
i need advice, I'm having major trouble with nap time lately. I watch five daycare kids; 2 4.5 yr olds, 2.5 and twin 2 yr olds. Lately the 4yr olds are getting restless/dispruptive during nap so i started having them do other quiet activities during quiet time but then since they are up they think its play time and are even louder. I can bring the 4 yr olds upstairs but cant seperate them further due to my space. Im constantly reminding them to be quiet which is causing the younger ones to wake earlier and earlier. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions are appreciated
Allow them to stay up quietly.

If they are reminded more than X amount of times to be quiet, they should go straight to nap.

"Oh, Billy your ears must be tired because they aren't listening. You'll have to go lie down."

Stay up IS a privilege not a right.
If they can't abide by your rules (playing quietly) why allow them to stay up?

If necessary, nap them separately from each other and/or the others so their restlessness isn't bothersome to the other kids.
Play Care 01:52 PM 12-16-2015
I have yet to find allowing kids to remain up to be a workable option. Kids who can't nap or stay quietly on their mats are not a fit for my program.

Rather than allow them to stay up, I'd rework my nap space to that kids are out of sight of each other (I move my play kitchen and shelving around for this), there is a loud fan (or 2) for white noise, and windows are in blackout. Infants and young toddlers nap in PNP's in a separate room (also in black out with fans) so that's one less thing to worry about.

Children would be reminded to lay quietly once.
Children who are quiet can have a book or soft toy on their mat.
I've also been known to give rewards to quiet children after nap
Mom2Two 03:57 PM 12-16-2015
Would they watch a dvd? I have some kids that won't sit and watch, but my nappers are upstairs and are heavy sleepers.
Ariana 04:39 PM 12-16-2015
I would also take away privileges so books taken away or send them to bed type of thing. If they aren't able to play quietly or stay up quietly then they need to lay down and "go to sleep".
KSDC 11:06 AM 12-17-2015
My kids under age 5 are required to lie quietly for 30 minutes. If they are still awake after that time, they are allowed to get up and play with quiet toys or color.
I don't start timing until the child is actually lying still and not wiggling all over their sleep mat.

I find that most of my kiddos will fall asleep in that time.
And if they don't, they nappers will be sound asleep after 30 minutes and a little quiet play in the other room doesn't wake them.
rosieteddy 06:24 AM 12-18-2015
Everyone here takes a nap.They all lie down ,sleeping bags dark room.I have the tv on a music station everyone falls asleep within 20 min.They usually do not wake up until I shut the music off.If infants are in the other room the same music is on.
daycarediva 11:23 AM 12-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have yet to find allowing kids to remain up to be a workable option. Kids who can't nap or stay quietly on their mats are not a fit for my program.

Rather than allow them to stay up, I'd rework my nap space to that kids are out of sight of each other (I move my play kitchen and shelving around for this), there is a loud fan (or 2) for white noise, and windows are in blackout. Infants and young toddlers nap in PNP's in a separate room (also in black out with fans) so that's one less thing to worry about.

Children would be reminded to lay quietly once.
Children who are quiet can have a book or soft toy on their mat.
I've also been known to give rewards to quiet children after nap

Tags:naptime issues
Reply Up