Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Overreacting??
PitterPatter 06:17 PM 04-02-2011
My son wanted to get his hair cut tonight. It's after 6 but we are close to Walmart at that minute so I take him. The lady sits him in the chair and he's scooting back into the seat wiggling like. She asked if he was dancing he said no and stopped. She leans over getting the clippers from the drawer. DS started scooting back again. She said yes "u are liar". GRR I thought what the heck that is so not appropriate to say to a 9 yr old child! You don't call a child a liar!! Then I thought ok take it easy It wasnt said in a mean tone she is just not kid friendly and doesnt know how to talk to them and just has a lousy sense of humor.

So She's cutting his hair with clippers and she runs them over around his ear and he cringes a lil. She says "sit still" sternly. He said it hurts. She barks at him "if you would sit still it wouldnt hurt". Grr again but stay calm she's just rude. She gets the right side done and DS picks up a piece of hair from his lap and is just rubbing it between his finger and thumb. She barks at him again "QUIT"! OK biting my tongue and thinking this is MY son not yours if he wants to play with a piece of his hair he can! She then says "if u want to play with hair theres a whole can over there you can go play with it when you are done." OMG what is wrong with her?? THEN she did it! She says "You know, we give out suckers but if you aint good you aint getting one" OMG #%^#$(*#% My eyes got so big they hurt, my jaw is on the floor! I want to pull him out of that chair, smack her in the head and walk out! I cant think of anywhere else to take him places are closed and his hair is 1/2 done. I don't know how to do his cut.

I walk over to my Mom by the door and tell her she needs to come listen in case I go off I have a witness when i rip her head off. We go back and I stand there staring at her with an angry look! The lady must have heard me tell my mom I was going to pull her head off because she's nicer now but still not very kid friendly. She finishes and asks if its short enough I said yes and walked over to pay. She comes and tells me $11. I pay her no tip either and ask for the reciept because I intend on reporting her. At this point I kept my mouth shut, it's over and didnt want to give a heads up so she cant come up with a cover or back up plan. I called when I got home and asked to speak with the manager praying it wasn't her. The guy said she leaves at 5 wont be back until 10am tomorow so guess what I will be doing at 10:01 am. UH HUH!

Oh and she never did give my son a sucker so I was worried he may think he was bad because he didnt get one. I asked him about it and he said "no I know I wasnt bad I sat still I just think they are liars." Nice rep she just gave the company in the eyes of a child.
youretooloud 07:18 PM 04-02-2011
Well, since he's nine, it's ok to say "she was AWFUL!! Didn't you think she was mean?" At age three, he wouldn't understand, but at nine he knows she was a bit of a freak.

And, even if she wasn't mean... "aint"? Really?

I'd be awake half the night being mad at her. I'm so glad you didn't tip her.
cheerfuldom 07:42 PM 04-02-2011
I would say something to her boss but after that, just let it go. There are too many other important things to stew and fret about one rude person.
youretooloud 08:23 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would say something to her boss but after that, just let it go. There are too many other important things to stew and fret about one rude person.
This is true.. you don't want to get her fired. You just want her to know that she handled herself inappropriately. It sounds like your son was fine with it... but, it's really hard to watch someone that is so unprofessional handle scissors next to your son's head.

Obviously you won't be going back.. and she needs to know why. But, please don't get her fired over this one incident. If she's had other problems at work, that's one thing.. but, if you go off on the manager, she might lose her job... collect unemployment insurance, and food stamps.
PitterPatter 09:08 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
This is true.. you don't want to get her fired. You just want her to know that she handled herself inappropriately. It sounds like your son was fine with it... but, it's really hard to watch someone that is so unprofessional handle scissors next to your son's head.

Obviously you won't be going back.. and she needs to know why. But, please don't get her fired over this one incident. If she's had other problems at work, that's one thing.. but, if you go off on the manager, she might lose her job... collect unemployment insurance, and food stamps.

...And then end up on my doorstep for free daycare lol

Thanks guys! Just double checking I wasn't overreacting. A guy friend thought I was but he doesn't have children.
PitterPatter 09:10 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Oh yeah I am fine now but I do think she needs to learn how to talk to children. maybe this will open her eyes a lil when I discuss it with the manager.
Unregistered 03:31 AM 04-03-2011
If a child is ever spoken to like that - or hurt! - it is your responsibility to say something. You have to speak up! I would never let a person talk to my children like that.
QualiTcare 05:43 AM 04-03-2011
maybe your guy friend was right.

i'm just remembering the post from the other day where you were so upset that a daycare parent told your son to stop picking up toys for her child after you had already told him to stop and he didn't listen.

boys have to be STILL when they get their hair cut. it's hard for them to do and it's hard for women to know how to make them be still. this is why my son has been going to a barber shop since he first started getting haircuts. it's an old man that cuts his hair and it looks like he's being rough, but he's being SAFE. one unexpected move could cause a cut.

it sounds like he doesn't like being told what to do and has probably picked up on the fact that you don't like anyone telling him what to do. that's a dangerous combination for a little kid.
PitterPatter 07:12 AM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
maybe your guy friend was right.

i'm just remembering the post from the other day where you were so upset that a daycare parent told your son to stop picking up toys for her child after you had already told him to stop and he didn't listen.

boys have to be STILL when they get their hair cut. it's hard for them to do and it's hard for women to know how to make them be still. this is why my son has been going to a barber shop since he first started getting haircuts. it's an old man that cuts his hair and it looks like he's being rough, but he's being SAFE. one unexpected move could cause a cut.

it sounds like he doesn't like being told what to do and has probably picked up on the fact that you don't like anyone telling him what to do. that's a dangerous combination for a little kid.

Excuse me?? My child was sitting still the WHOLE time until she scraped the clippers around his ear and he cringed! My son DOES usually listen. Where do u get off ASSuming he doesn't like being told what to do? AND that I don't like ANYONE telling him what to do? IF he had been squirming it is fine for a barber to tell him to sit still but he wasn't squirming!

I didn't want that parent telling him what to do because she was the type that couldn't correct her own child so she certainly had no business correcting mine. And for u to assume this happens on a regular basis and put my son down is just rude in my opinion. I mentioned my son not listening ONCE and u create this whole personality for him?? It would be dif if I was here posting many times my son won't listen etc.

As for everyone else here I thank u for your opinions and appreciate your input.
QualiTcare 04:10 PM 04-03-2011
why ask if you're overreacting if you're only going to accept people who tell you that you weren't?

why would the lady ask him to be still repeatedly if he wasn't moving? that just makes absolutely no sense. just because he wasn't waving his arms and legs around doesn't mean he wasn't moving enough that the person holding his head/cutting his hair could feel it.

if you think the lady at the beauty shop was mean, wait til it's time for some dental work. this is the exact reason most dentists don't allow parents in the room.
Unregistered 04:21 PM 04-03-2011
why ask if you're overreacting if you're only going to accept people who tell you that you weren't?

why would the lady ask him to be still repeatedly if he wasn't moving? that just makes absolutely no sense. just because he wasn't waving his arms and legs around doesn't mean he wasn't moving enough that the person holding his head/cutting his hair could feel it.

if you think the lady at the beauty shop was mean, wait til it's time for some dental work. this is the exact reason most dentists don't allow parents in the room.
Nope, most dentists will ask parents to leave if the kid is freaking out, because the kid quits putting on a show for the parents. Once the parents leave, the dentist has a gentle way of letting kids help, etc, and calms them down. It's not so he can jerk the kids around and be mean. Some people just don't have any idea how to handle kids.

I would have spoken up and I would be calling the manager in the morning. If the manager doesn't deal with it, I would also tell everyone I know what bad service you got.
PitterPatter 04:57 PM 04-03-2011

I would gladly accept people telling me that I overreacted had they bothered to actually READ the post. LOL Where did I say she "repeatedly" asked him to sit still? She TOLD him "Sit still" ONCE, as in 1 time, as in UNO. Get it? It was said sternly and when he explained why he moved (she hurt him with the clippers) she barked back at him again. Was that clear enough for u this time?

I am not going to sit here and argue however I will point out of that whole post the only thing u pick to comment on is the fact that my son moved ONCE (when he was hurt)! I had already stated that he WAS sitting still. I mentioned having talked to him he even knew he was sitting still so why did u just take that 1 "cringe" and run with it?

Was it not possible for u to say somthing like "I do agree she was rude but maybe..." Nope u just felt the need to point a finger! You didn't mention anything else. Let me guess it was wrong for my son to use his fingertips to play with a clump of hair too right? lol

For your info my son has been to the dentist and SAT STILL there too thank u very much! AND All parents are permitted to sit along side their children in our offices. Never had a problem.

This is not the 1st time I have seen negative/rude posts from u towards other posters and I am sure it won't be the last so from now I will will simply pass your entries up. Have a nice day.
Live and Learn 05:16 PM 04-03-2011
Tygerluv,
There is a way to block the responses of "certain" people that irritate you.
You might use that. It only blocks from view if you are logged on though.
QualiTcare 05:17 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I would gladly accept people telling me that I overreacted had they bothered to actually READ the post. LOL Where did I say she "repeatedly" asked him to sit still? She TOLD him "Sit still" ONCE, as in 1 time, as in UNO. Get it? It was said sternly and when he explained why he moved (she hurt him with the clippers) she barked back at him again. Was that clear enough for u this time?

I am not going to sit here and argue however I will point out of that whole post the only thing u pick to comment on is the fact that my son moved ONCE (when he was hurt)! I had already stated that he WAS sitting still. I mentioned having talked to him he even knew he was sitting still so why did u just take that 1 "cringe" and run with it?

Was it not possible for u to say somthing like "I do agree she was rude but maybe..." Nope u just felt the need to point a finger! You didn't mention anything else. Let me guess it was wrong for my son to use his fingertips to play with a clump of hair too right? lol

For your info my son has been to the dentist and SAT STILL there too thank u very much! AND All parents are permitted to sit along side their children in our offices. Never had a problem.

This is not the 1st time I have seen negative/rude posts from u towards other posters and I am sure it won't be the last so from now I will will simply pass your entries up. Have a nice day.
maybe your friend who said you were overreacting didn't read the post either.

it makes no sense that you ask if you were overreacting and then get upset when i say you were. don't ask the question if you already know the answer.

you said, "Was it not possible for u to say somthing like "I do agree she was rude but maybe..." Nope u just felt the need to point a finger! You didn't mention anything else."

of course it was possible, but the fact you're telling me how i should've responded goes to show once again that you didn't ask the question to get any opinion other than your own.

i didn't think you needed to be coddled, but now i see why such trivial things are such a big deal to you.
PitterPatter 05:21 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Tygerluv,
There is a way to block the responses of "certain" people that irritate you.
You might use that. It only blocks from view if you are logged on though.
Oh cool thank u very much!! I haven't had any problems until now. Everyone has been very nice here even when they didn't agree with me. That's why I came here, to learn from others but in a respectful way.

I'm still learning my way around here. I try to stay logged in as I have forgotten my new password once already. Could u tell me how to go about using that feature please? TIA!
Live and Learn 05:31 PM 04-03-2011
Under the "user cp" (upper left hand corner on the blue bar) scroll down to settings and options ....see where it says "edit ignore list"?....click on that and then you can enter the user name of the person whose opinions you could live without.

.....edited to add that if the person that irritates you is a moderator ....ironically, you can't block them......hmmmmm....good luck!
Unregistered 07:47 PM 04-03-2011
Oh cool thank u very much!! I haven't had any problems until now. Everyone has been very nice here even when they didn't agree with me. That's why I came here, to learn from others but in a respectful way.

I'm still learning my way around here. I try to stay logged in as I have forgotten my new password once already. Could u tell me how to go about using that feature please? TIA!
I used to log on all the time but now as of the last week I don't because I have found many unfriendly comments pointing the finger. I have asked for advice and all I get is what I did wrong. Ok. Fine, I was wrong but I am asking for advice not for you to condemn me and point fingers. Just get off your high horses and answer a persons questions. Jeesh.
QualiTcare 08:41 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I used to log on all the time but now as of the last week I don't because I have found many unfriendly comments pointing the finger. I have asked for advice and all I get is what I did wrong. Ok. Fine, I was wrong but I am asking for advice not for you to condemn me and point fingers. Just get off your high horses and answer a persons questions. Jeesh.
i cant speak on that because i don't know what threads you're referring to.

as to this situation there's no "finger pointing" because there was no wrong doing.

there was a simple question - "am i overreacting?"

let me rephrase my answer - "yes."
QualiTcare 08:50 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Nope, most dentists will ask parents to leave if the kid is freaking out, because the kid quits putting on a show for the parents. Once the parents leave, the dentist has a gentle way of letting kids help, etc, and calms them down. It's not so he can jerk the kids around and be mean. Some people just don't have any idea how to handle kids.

I would have spoken up and I would be calling the manager in the morning. If the manager doesn't deal with it, I would also tell everyone I know what bad service you got.
i've always let my husband go back with the kids to the dentist because i know i wouldn't like watching what they HAVE to do to get the job done. i didn't say they "jerk them around" or be mean, but they DO have to be forceful so they can do their job and the kid doesn't get hurt by moving around.

it's perfectly fine to admit you don't like seeing it, can't handle it, don't like it, etc.

but it's necessary for SOMEONE to take control in certain situations -such as when there's a drill in a child's mouth or a blade on their head.
Stacy214 03:32 AM 04-04-2011
I think something needs to be said to the woman, she just handled it very inappropriately...she may have been having a bad day, who knows .... Let us know how the manager handles it.
mac60 04:02 AM 04-04-2011
I don't understand why certain people feel the need to be so rude on this forum, and the fact that they are a moderator, and continue to be, and continue to be rude, is unacceptable. There are ways to say things and be kind about it. It continues to happen all the time and nothing is ever done about it. Michael, why do you continue to let it happen. It causes a lot of hard feelings here. There are much better qualified people here that could be a moderator. It is situations like this that causes people to post unregistered, or to just no longer come here. Posting in this "tone" comes across very negative.
QualiTcare 04:28 AM 04-04-2011
i simply answered a question.

just because my response to the question (which wasn't really a question at all) was different doesn't mean there was any "negative tone" about it.

mac, i will gladly nominate you to be a moderator. trust me - if it comes down to deleting TRULY offensive/inappropriate posts or saying what i think then i will gladly give up the "honor" of deleting posts.

delete spam? say what i think? delete spam? say what i think?

i vote freedom of speech. you do the honors.
momofboys 04:36 AM 04-04-2011
I don't think you overreacted. I would have been equally upset if someone treated my child that way. There are more appropriate ways to get kids to do the things they need to do & it sounds like this lady needed to learn some basic skills before she works with children.
PitterPatter 09:49 AM 04-04-2011
I called and spoke with the manager of the salon and explained what happened. She was very apologetic to me and promised to have a serious talk with the hairdresser because this was completely unacceptable. I told her I'm not trying to cause problems and I certainly don't want to see her fired just that she needed to learn how to talk to people and not be so rude and for no reason. The manager said the hairdresser probably had a bad day and unfortunately she is the type that allows it to carry into her work. Last time it was an elderly lady, now a child what next? She said she probably won't fire her but her attitude will change she guarantees it! She couldn't apologize enough and is mailing me a gift card that I can use at any of their branches but that she hoped she would have the pleasure of having my return business. She also said my son deserves a whole bag of suckers for being treated so poorly and not given a sucker when he was done. I assume she was joking about the bag of suckers but that would be cool!

I'm so glad I called in! Obviously she has been reported before so I wonder how many times she has been rude to people and gotten away with it. I thought me wanting to pull her head off was overreacting but I guess not. Thanks everyone for all the great advise!
PitterPatter 09:59 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Under the "user cp" (upper left hand corner on the blue bar) scroll down to settings and options ....see where it says "edit ignore list"?....click on that and then you can enter the user name of the person whose opinions you could live without.

.....edited to add that if the person that irritates you is a moderator ....ironically, you can't block them......hmmmmm....good luck!

That's ok I will just skip such posts. Thank u again though in case I ever need it in the future.
daycare 10:07 AM 04-04-2011
I called and spoke with the manager of the salon and explained what happened. She was very apologetic to me and promised to have a serious talk with the hairdresser because this was completely unacceptable. I told her I'm not trying to cause problems and I certainly don't want to see her fired just that she needed to learn how to talk to people and not be so rude and for no reason. The manager said the hairdresser probably had a bad day and unfortunately she is the type that allows it to carry into her work. Last time it was an elderly lady, now a child what next? She said she probably won't fire her but her attitude will change she guarantees it! She couldn't apologize enough and is mailing me a gift card that I can use at any of their branches but that she hoped she would have the pleasure of having my return business. She also said my son deserves a whole bag of suckers for being treated so poorly and not given a sucker when he was done. I assume she was joking about the bag of suckers but that would be cool!

I'm so glad I called in! Obviously she has been reported before so I wonder how many times she has been rude to people and gotten away with it. I thought me wanting to pull her head off was overreacting but I guess not. Thanks everyone for all the great advise!
So glad that it was taken care of the Right way... I still feel bad that your son had to be mistreated by an adult and he is old enough to understand that the woman was being mean.

It was good of you to stand up for your son and I know that he will appreciate that you stood up for him, just like mommy should..

I was going to ask you if the lady was foreign. I am from a different country and I run into a lot of "lost in translation" conversations. Not that I am saying it is ok, but I find it common. EX: the lady at the nail shop is foreign and she will tell me, I think you need to wax your upper lip...." WTH excuse me, I don't have any hair on my upper lip.....lol
It's a rude way to ask, but I think it's the only way she knows how...lol

But this lady just sounded RUDE and I would have reacted just like you did...
PitterPatter 10:57 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So glad that it was taken care of the Right way... I still feel bad that your son had to be mistreated by an adult and he is old enough to understand that the woman was being mean.

It was good of you to stand up for your son and I know that he will appreciate that you stood up for him, just like mommy should..

I was going to ask you if the lady was foreign. I am from a different country and I run into a lot of "lost in translation" conversations. Not that I am saying it is ok, but I find it common. EX: the lady at the nail shop is foreign and she will tell me, I think you need to wax your upper lip...." WTH excuse me, I don't have any hair on my upper lip.....lol
It's a rude way to ask, but I think it's the only way she knows how...lol

But this lady just sounded RUDE and I would have reacted just like you did...
No she was american, bleach blonde type. Just had a chip on her shoulder I guess. Maybe it was close to closing time and she didn't want that last client in her chair who knows.

I try really hard not to overreact in situations like that but I wanted to tell her off sooo bad. I just kept telling myself, let it go she's just rude don't stoop to her level. I have tried to defend a family member before and it ended up in a VERY heated discussion to say the least and had that woman started name calling or getting in my face... I just don't want my child to witness that.

All is well now I can't wait to pass on the apology to my son when he gets home. I won't mention the suckers of course lol
Crystal 12:44 PM 04-04-2011
Personally, I think you UNDEREACTED when she called your son a liar. I would have been all over her for that Nah....you didn't overreact
Kaddidle Care 04:59 PM 04-04-2011
I don't think you overreacted and I give you credit for letting her finish the hair cut.

Good for you that you complained to the manager. That gal might give great hair cuts to adults but she shouldn't be exposed to children talking like that.

It's a shame - some folks are really gifted with kids. We had a guy that did portraits at our Walmart and I went 30 miles out of my way to have my child photographed by him when he moved to a different store.

BTW - they don't do haircuts at the Walmarts around here so we're safe.
MaryPoppins 06:54 AM 04-05-2011
Giving a clipper haircut is very easy. You could save yourself a LOT of money and hassle by buying a good Wahl clipper set and doing it yourself next time.
PitterPatter 10:26 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins:
Giving a clipper haircut is very easy. You could save yourself a LOT of money and hassle by buying a good Wahl clipper set and doing it yourself next time.
He gets a fade type cut though with it longer on top than a usual fade. He has a cow lick in the front and a double crown so it tends to stick up if too short. I have clippers and in the summer sometimes I do his hair myself but for school we keep the fade type cut usually. We have a family salon we usually go to but I kept forgetting to make the apt. so I figured what the heck let him go to Walmart. Maybe I can find someone to teach me
Tags:bad behavior - adult, overreacting
Reply Up