Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really Lady?
KidGrind 04:20 AM 07-10-2014
A mother is trying to find someone to care for her 2 infants for $75 - $100 per week in the D.C. area.

She wants 9+ hours per day, overnight and weekends (both outside of the 9+ per day).

People (strangers) are suppose to take in consideration her car notes and bills; two car family; one luxury and another new.
midaycare 04:25 AM 07-10-2014
Well, did you share with her your bills?
Luvnmykidz 04:40 AM 07-10-2014
Can't say I'm surprised. I had a parent inquire about daycare for her 16 month old who was not walking talking or eating table food. He didn't have any teeth so she did jar food still. And her 8 yr old son. She wanted care Monday through Saturday from 6-6 for no more than $100 a week. She stated she lived with her parents and couldn't pay more than that. I told her I was insulted that she would even think to contact me or any daycare provider and think that $100 was sufficient or appropriate for what she wanted.
Moppetland 05:41 AM 07-10-2014
This is the way I see it. If these parents really couldn't afford to pay child care, they would be eligible for their state's assistance. They have to know or been told about it. I'm thinking that they know they aren't eligible, because they know they bring in enough income. But they pull that "whoa is me" with providers and think they'll get away with it, because they don't WANT to pay child care costs.

But they may find a provider who is desperate enough to do it.

I know that bills need to be paid. But child care costs are part of those bills, and it supersedes some bills, because if they can't get anyone to care for their children, then they can't go to work. Providers have bills too, no matter if we're in our home or in a center.
LysesKids 05:48 AM 07-10-2014
OMG... I had my 2 oldest in daycare in Rockville/N Bethesda and I couldn't get away paying those fees 20 years ago; The DC area is not cheap, but you all are getting the same kind of requests I get here in a lower $ area ( Outside of Knoxville). That is crazy

I had one mom ask me last night if she got promoted did she still have to pay the same fee for a rotating schedule... I told her, the hours she was now requesting fell under the higher rate and she looked at me as though I had 2 heads... they both have new cars and very good paying jobs and were asking for hours outside of my norm... don't take the promotion if you don't want to change the rates lol
sally 06:05 AM 07-10-2014
I'm in Iowa and not long ago I had a lady contact me for 50+ hours of care, for 2 boys, including nights and weekends (which I don't do) and only wanted to pay $50.00 a week. I literally laughed and hung up the phone.
cheerfuldom 06:34 AM 07-10-2014
people are crazy. I reply that "xyz is the typical rate in this hour. my charge is xyz and is non-negotiable. good luck with your search"

these people often times do fine desperate individuals that will take the money and burn out in three months but these parents arent willing to pay for stability. they usually have no problem daycare hopping.
cara041083 07:29 AM 07-10-2014
I am seeing this a lot on those trade Facebook pages. People will spell out there life story and want drop off to be extremely early and pick up be late but don't want to pay anything. It takes all I have to to go off.
crazydaycarelady 07:33 AM 07-10-2014
I wonder if I share my car notes and bills (neither luxury btw) with the mortgage company if they'll cut me a break?

Maybe Wal~Mart will even give me a break on the groceries!
Leigh 11:31 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I wonder if I share my car notes and bills (neither luxury btw) with the mortgage company if they'll cut me a break?

Maybe Wal~Mart will even give me a break on the groceries!
Tell them you're a single mom. You know that they are entitled to special rates everywhere, right?
Reply Up