Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Watching Judge Judy?
lovemykidstoo 04:23 PM 12-01-2014
Just watching Judge Judy and a provider is suing a mother because the woman said she was going to get state aide for her kids. Come to find out, the lady didn't get qualified. The state of California was paying $11 per child and the woman had 2 kids, so $22 an hour!! Holy cow!! That is a crazy amount. I want to live there!!
midaycare 05:24 PM 12-01-2014
Sign me up! I get $2.40.
sharlan 05:27 PM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Just watching Judge Judy and a provider is suing a mother because the woman said she was going to get state aide for her kids. Come to find out, the lady didn't get qualified. The state of California was paying $11 per child and the woman had 2 kids, so $22 an hour!! Holy cow!! That is a crazy amount. I want to live there!!
I sure don't get $11 an hour, more like $135 a week.
SignMeUp 08:07 PM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Sign me up! I get $2.40.
I'm here
Thriftylady 08:12 PM 12-01-2014
It seems outrageous, unless you have ever really been to CA. I have been to LA a few times, and honestly was appalled at the cost of things. I saw bottles of water for $5 each. I knew a family that lived there that sold the house they had only been paying on for six years or so, paid off the mortgage moved to the middle of the country and paid over $30,000 towards their house there from what they got out of the CA house, and the new one was twice as big. So factoring all that in, it likely isn't all that much more money than we make per child.
jenboo 09:11 PM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
It seems outrageous, unless you have ever really been to CA. I have been to LA a few times, and honestly was appalled at the cost of things. I saw bottles of water for $5 each. I knew a family that lived there that sold the house they had only been paying on for six years or so, paid off the mortgage moved to the middle of the country and paid over $30,000 towards their house there from what they got out of the CA house, and the new one was twice as big. So factoring all that in, it likely isn't all that much more money than we make per child.
Born and raised in San Diego. Moved away 2.5 years ago because I got married and couldn't afford to live there
mom2many 09:36 PM 12-01-2014
I live in Silicon Valley & yes, it's crazy expensive! My hubby & I were just talking about the cost of things & he reminded me that it's not like this in most places in the United States!
I hate thinking about retiring someplace else, but that may need to happen for us to afford it!
Our home is just 1500 square feet and was appraised at $800,000 recently. A rental down then street with an identical floor plan is $3000/mth.
Controlled Chaos 10:31 PM 12-01-2014
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I live in Silicon Valley & yes, it's crazy expensive! My hubby & I were just talking about the cost of things & he reminded me that it's not like this in most places in the United States!
I hate thinking about retiring someplace else, but that may need to happen for us to afford it!
Our home is just 1500 square feet and was appraised at $800,000 recently. A rental down then street with an identical floor plan is $3000/mth.
Wow! The house I am renting is 1700 square feet and is $1060 a month! And it's a nice suburb. I love the cost of living in Utah!
midaycare 04:35 AM 12-02-2014
That is crazy! We just bought a 2400 sq ft home on 7 wooded acres, less than 1 mile from Lake Michigan and some of the best beaches in the US (according to the travel mags). We paid $195,000. But there is that pesky thing called winter ...
lovemykidstoo 05:57 AM 12-02-2014
Oh definately know how expensive things are in California. I've had friends that have moved there years ago and it's insane. We just listed our house for sale. It's just under 2,700 sq ft and we're asking 239,900. My friend that lives in Canada said that our house would go for 3 times that where she lives. Thinking of moving it hahaha!
Kimskiddos 06:14 AM 12-02-2014
Wow, I'm in Austin Tx and it is BOOMING here, the property values have really increased. But my 1500 sf house would sell for $245,000! We paid $89,000 nearly 30 years ago (will have it paid off next year, whoo hoo).

Retire to central Texas, it's really beautiful, the weather is mostly nice and you could get a fabulous house for that kind of money.
Reply Up