Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathroom Rules
Josiegirl 02:19 AM 03-06-2016
I'm a firm believer of one at a time in the bathroom but it's become kind of a gray area lately. I've got 3 who are potty training, 2 potty chairs and a toilet. So to speed things along during our day I bring them all in and help them all through the process.
What is your normal routine when many young ones are needing the bathroom?
It's such a timely process, between pottying and washing, it can really cut into our day. Plus I think positive peer pressure can be a good thing.
Just curious how others do it?
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm a firm believer of one at a time in the bathroom but it's become kind of a gray area lately. I've got 3 who are potty training, 2 potty chairs and a toilet. So to speed things along during our day I bring them all in and help them all through the process.
What is your normal routine when many young ones are needing the bathroom?
It's such a timely process, between pottying and washing, it can really cut into our day. Plus I think positive peer pressure can be a good thing.
Just curious how others do it?
For me; one at a time in the bathroom......Even when training. Part of the training process is learning to hold it when necessary.

I have one toilet, one potty chair and a toilet ring to choose from but still only allow one at a time in the bathroom.

I understand the thinking behind positive peer support but in my honest opinion, toileting is the one place it just isnt necessary.
jenboo 11:37 AM 03-06-2016
I do one at a time because I don't use potty chairs. In all the cente's I have worked in its been multiple at a time with no privacy until 4yrs old at one center and school age at another.

I honestly think either is fine.
MissAnn 12:35 PM 03-06-2016
Boys can go in with boys and forks go in with girls. If a boy is washing hands, another boy can go in to potty. I,am outside bathroom door entertaining the other kids waiting their turn while supervising bathrooming.
racemom 01:03 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Boys can go in with boys and forks go in with girls. If a boy is washing hands, another boy can go in to potty. I,am outside bathroom door entertaining the other kids waiting their turn while supervising bathrooming.
Miss ann why do you let forks go in with girls? Lol
Controlled Chaos 01:41 PM 03-06-2016
I usually have 1 going potty while another is washing hands. The 4s and 5s get privacy. Occasionally I'll have one on the little potty chair and 1 on the toilet but typically one at a time. I don't think its a big deal, but once they are older teaching and allowing for some privacy is good
MissAnn 03:30 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
Miss ann why do you let forks go in with girls? Lol
Stupid Siri!
mamamanda 03:45 PM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Stupid Siri!
hahaha
mamamanda 03:50 PM 03-06-2016
Now that I've been working with the 2 and under crowd, we all go in together. I change diapers and the ones who show an interest in the potty get a chance to sit on it during their diaper change and then they wash their hands and wait for the next child's turn. They are all very into encouraging each other at this point. So and so sat on the potty...yay! When I had preschool aged kids (typically 3 and up) I have them go in one at a time. I don't think its a big deal either way, but I just like to encourage them to give each other their privacy. Plus they are so interested in what their friends are doing that I find I avoid some uncomfortable situations this way.
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 03-07-2016
Thanks all for your input! I will continue to do it like I've been; I was just hoping I wasn't doing something terribly wrong with the privacy issues. But really, it feels as if they all go in separately, we'd be in there all day long and there is so much more in the day that needs to be done...

In the near future I'll be getting one of those combo adult-toddler toilet seats and I can get rid of the potty chairs, so it won't be an issue. Hopefully by then some of these kiddos will be primarily trained.
KSDC 09:08 PM 03-07-2016
I'm a lot like PPs. While potty training is still on-going, one might be going potty while another is washing hands.

The child gets privacy once they are fully trained and don't need assistance/supervision.
Tags:bathroom - proceedures, rules - bathroom
Reply Up