Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy On Holding Spot for Baby On the Way
Unregistered 06:30 PM 06-22-2016
Curious what other providers do/charge for holding a spot for a baby that is on the way (3 months till due, 3-6 months till possibly wanting care). Holding fee? Full rate for time desired to enroll? 1/2 fee? etc.

And what are your opinions on accepting a toddler PT now and then the new baby PT in 6 months or so (new client)? Newbie here. :]
Ariana 07:24 PM 06-22-2016
It really depends on your business and what others in your area do. A spot is a spot so you should charge the full rate or they will have to take their chances that the space is available when baby comes. Many providers have been screwed over by holding spots that parents never take and losing out on thousands in income. Can you afford to do that?
LysesKids 07:32 PM 06-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Curious what other providers do/charge for holding a spot for a baby that is on the way (3 months till due, 3-6 months till possibly wanting care). Holding fee? Full rate for time desired to enroll? 1/2 fee? etc.

And what are your opinions on accepting a toddler PT now and then the new baby PT in 6 months or so (new client)? Newbie here. :]
I talk to parents that are expecting, but hold off on interviews until baby is born - no, I DO NOT hold spaces until I meet the baby; I will hold a space for 2 weeks if already open once we meet, and up to 6 weeks if a space is expected to be opening, but only with a deposit & SIGNED contract with start date. Parents have 24 hours to decide (and pay) once we meet otherwise I keep interviewing. Been screwed once (or two, three, four) to many time to hold spaces even at half fee
AmyKidsCo 07:56 PM 06-22-2016
For me it depends on when I have the opening.

If the opening isn't available until they're ready to start I don't charge anything to hold it (because there's no spot to hold) but would charge the enrollment fee, first week's care and last two week's care.

If the opening is available now I'd charge them full price to hold it (on top of enrollment, first and last week's fees).

If they're hesitant I would hold it at no charge, but wouldn't stop advertising. If another family became interested I'd tell the first family they had to pay to hold it or lose the spot.
Unregistered 04:59 AM 06-23-2016
so would any of you take the toddler PT now? and see what happens for the baby coming? or?
KSDC 05:20 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
so would any of you take the toddler PT now? and see what happens for the baby coming? or?
If I did PT and had the opening, I would take the toddler now.

For the baby, I would do the same at AmyKidsCo: "If the opening isn't available until they're ready to start I don't charge anything to hold it (because there's no spot to hold) ... If the opening is available now I'd charge them full price to hold it."

But, I am in an area with very high demand for daycare and I have a great reputation with a wait list. I never have openings. I might have a different opinion if I had a hard time filling my spots.
Tags:holding spot, holding spot policy
Reply Up