Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>At What Age?
blueclouds29 09:24 AM 07-06-2011
What age do you start telling them no dessert if you don't eat your veggies or your lunch? I have a 17 month old that's not a veggie eater, is it right to not give him dessert? Does he understand? Advice please....
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 07-06-2011
Here we are not allowed to do it at all.

Food cannot be used as punishment OR reward.
blueclouds29 09:49 AM 07-06-2011
I totally agree with you.. Thank you Catherder!
familyschoolcare 11:55 AM 07-06-2011
As for day care kids I can not and will not use food as a punishment or reward. As an authority figure in the child's life I think it sends the wrong message food is not a reward or a punishment. Food is something we eat because our bodies need nutrients not something we eat because we earned it.

Now with that said for my own children (non day care meals) I serve them some of everything (very small amount if it is something they really do not like). The rule is that before you can have seconds you have to eat all of your first. Then you can have a much of whatever you want that is being served that meal. If you are not hungry and do not eat all your first that is alright. No desserts if you do not eat your first because we do not eat if we are not hungry. I started these rules with my children when they we 18 months old or so, and now that they are teenagers everyone eats their first and sometimes they ask for seconds on vegetables. Dessert is not always served and when it is it is not renouncement ahead of time and is usually not for a hour or so after dinner. The only exception is that if you do not eat you dinner then when dessert is served you suddenly are hungry then you may have all the fruit you want but no dessert.
heyhun77 12:27 PM 07-06-2011
I don't do desserts at meals for daycare, ever, and we only have dessert on Sunday dinners for our family meals. For meals I except each child to try one bite of everything offered and since I serve family style I help them to remember that they should eat what they take so we don't waste food.
meganlavonnesmommy 12:52 PM 07-06-2011
I dont do desserts. Our USDA food program allows us to serve 2 sweets per week. I usually do fridays, donuts for breakfast and cookies for snack in the afternoon.

I do say no if they ask for a second serving of fruit if they havent eaten their veggie. But if they eat the rest of their food, then they can have more fruit.
grandmom 12:54 PM 07-06-2011
I put all food on the plate at the same time. No seconds until everything is gone from the plate. So I would add a small cookie (whatever) and then stick to my policy. This child is plenty old enough to understand that rule.
blueclouds29 02:33 PM 07-06-2011
Thanks for your replies! I only feed three kids 2 and under. My one 18 month old is a picky eater so i've been having trouble with him eating veggies. I guess just give him everything even though he never touches his veggies. Just wanted some input and ideas! Thanks
cnieno 09:25 AM 09-23-2011
Hi, I thought I would give you some advice about feeding your picky eater. When you make meals try adding the vegetable in with spaghetti or if its macaoroni try adding peas to it to see if it helps. I did that to one of my kids and I was very pleased with the outcome. Her mom was very surprised that I was able to get her to eat peas. I added peas with her spaghetti and kinda mashed it up and she at it just fine. She thought it was the funniest thing!

Tags:food - age appropriate, rewarding - food
Reply Up