Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>crying
cara041083 07:56 AM 03-19-2014
I have a 3 year old that at home she gets what ever she wants. The second this girl is around her parents, she turns into a 16 year old teenager with attitude and I mean eye rolling and everything lol. The mom is at her wits ends and the dad says "she just needs a extra love and understanding. Ok so when she is here, I nipped it in the butt from day one and so far have had no problems. She crys at the drop of a hat and I always ask whats wrong and most of the time she tells me nothing. So I normally make her go to the pouty corner (its just a spot away from everyone so she can calm down) and after about a min shes good and calmed down and that's that. Well the last few days, she has started and when I asked if she needs to sit in the pouty corner she has wanted to go and she will scrams bloody murder and won't stop. Today it lasted 45 min. This week so far it has no effect on here at all. There is nothing wrong with her, she is one of those kids that if you look at her wrong she crys or gets pissed off. Any advise on a plan to get her back on track? I thought maybe she didn't feel good but she has been fine.
ihop 08:01 AM 03-19-2014
No real advice. But I have this kid. Its very frustrating and I can definitely sympathize. In my childs case, she learned that by being upset, her parents would come up with fun things or treats to calm her down. Recently she started crying more and after about a half hour she would just start saying "I need something" but could never tell me what it was. She wanted me to come up with something for her. Its completely manipulation. I ignore it and it gets a little better everyday. I hope it does for you too.
llpa 08:09 AM 03-19-2014
If a child doesn't calm down within a certain time, I call parents to pick up. For me it's 45min. If it's truly a tantrum I call for parent pick up. Of course, making sure there isn't anything obviously wrong w her. This also doesn't apply to a new child just getting used to the dc. You could also remove her to a place where you can keep an eye on her but she can't see the others or watch them play. I don't give any attn to tantrums. They are on the crying rug and thats it until they are done. It is just a rug, no pillows etc. Once they are calm, then I talk with them to see if we can figure out a way to not react like that next time. I always tell them crying is a great way to let it out but she is being excessive. Maybe she is just pushing her limits w you to see if you will give in after a while. But it's really unfair to the others in your care to be exposed to her crying for that long.
Tags:active ignore, screamer, tantrums
Reply Up