Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bed Bugs
AllDeezBabies 10:06 AM 01-17-2012
I was watching a show called Infested! and there was an episode of a family that had a bedbug infestation. It had me thinking about a time when our home was invaded by the "vampire bugs". I know these shows don't show the complete experience but I hated that the commentary provided made it seem like it was so easy to get rid of.

I'm not the type of person that opens my home up to anyone but this one weekend I decided to host a sleepover for my daughters. After that 4 day weekend was over my babygirl started having "mosquito bites" on her back and legs. At this time it was too cold for this so we thought it was a spider.

One day I was cleaning my girls room and I saw what I thought was a roach. I stomped and squished and this mf would.not.die. I had to run to get paper towels to beat this bastard to death. Looked it up online (flat bug shaped like an appleseed) low and behold it was a damn bedbug. We spent over $1500 in pest control services that next weekend we thought were cool. NOPE them mfkers came right back. Biting our feet, neck, legs, fingers...I started saying up in the middle of the night with a flash light to catch these bastards. I decided to do some research of getting rid of them. We purchased a wet/dry vac (like the ones you see being used in the auto repair shops) a high powered steamer, we purchased some Diatomaceous Earth (insecticide) and two other types of insecticides from our Orkin Man. We put everything in trashbags and sat it in the garage(extreme heat/cold kills them). Taped up mattresses, threw them out, pulled beds apart, vaccumed, steamed, dusted, and sprayed beds and all the furniture. We slept in a hotel room for 2 weeks, came back did the process all over again and went BACK to the hotel room for another 2 weeks.

A whole 1 1/2 years later of being bedbug free I'm running a home daycare. I pray to good gawd no one has these bugs. They are hell to pay. When they say good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...I guess they say that ish for a reason.

DAMN THAT WAS LONG...You know of any pest horror stories? Any victories? Did you or the person you know that went through this fight the fight or did they move?

What would you do if you experienced a bedbug outbreak in your daycare? How would you alert the parents? What would be the best action plan for you if this were to happen? I love children but I hate bedbugs...
Michael 01:32 PM 01-17-2012
Here are a few threads on providers with bed bugs: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=bed+bugs
greenhouse 01:37 PM 01-17-2012
Bed bugs brought in by a dck has to be my worst nightmare. Dcb brought fleas in recently, that was bad enough.
Oneluckymom 02:57 PM 01-17-2012
So how do you handle the bedding in your daycare? Do you provide the items needed for napping or do you have the parents bring them in? Send them home for washing or wash them up yourself?

That would be a nightmare!!!
squareone 03:09 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
So how do you handle the bedding in your daycare? Do you provide the items needed for napping or do you have the parents bring them in? Send them home for washing or wash them up yourself?

Here I provide all bedding and each child has their own individual cot. The cots and bedding get cleaned weekly unless someone has an accident before then.
countrymom 03:24 PM 01-17-2012
thats why I don't allow things from home, and I supply everything. On a side note, my house is so cold that I can't see things living here, I guess living in canada sometimes does pay off.
AllDeezBabies 03:56 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:

I supply everything. I don't allow anything from home. If they bring a security blanket I wash it in hot water and dry it on the hot temp IMMEDIATELY.
AllDeezBabies 04:02 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
Bed bugs brought in by a dck has to be my worst nightmare. Dcb brought fleas in recently, that was bad enough.
Never had fleas but I heard they bite like bedbugs do. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Happy that you conquered them
MNMum 10:08 PM 01-17-2012
We had scabies here! I think my toddler picked them up from a hotel we stayed in. It was the pits. Possibly one of my dck got it, they treated when I found a similar bump to the ones my son and I had.
Childminder 07:39 AM 01-18-2012
We had fleas here and while they were horrible I would freak with bedbugs. They are almost impossible to get rid of. I saw a program that was filmed in NY city and highrise apts were infested with them. They had to remove anything that would be affected by heat and bring in heaters to heat the room up to 120 degrees (i think) for quite a long time to kill them. YUK! I start itching just thinking about it.
littletots 06:58 AM 09-24-2015
AllDeezbabies - your post was so funny. Had me entertained. I could really visualize the crazy bed bug drama. Oh, me.
Unregistered 10:39 AM 09-24-2015
Bedbugs are hitchhikers and can hide in a coat pocket or even a pair of shoes and hitch its way into your home. Our public library was infested and several families in our area believe they got bedbugs from bringing home library books that had one of the bugs inside.
daycarediva 10:54 AM 09-24-2015
OK seriously JUST posted a thread about a dcb with bites all over him and now my skin is crawling! GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!!!!!!!
Ariana 10:59 AM 09-24-2015
MY BIGGEST NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!

My two biggest nightmares are lice and bedbugs. Oh man that sounded so rough. We rented a cottage in Cape Cod for 2 weeks that was expensive as hell and full of bugs. We ended up leaving early it was so gross. When we got home we noticed my daughter was covered in bug bites. I was SURE it was bedbugs because this cottage was so gross but thankfully it was just mosquitoes. I researched bedbugs and I cannot believe the horror that some people go through to get rid of them **shudder**. Now before we stay anywhere I look to see if the hotel has been treated for bedbugs. Even really high end hotels are not immune!
hottie8962 12:05 PM 09-24-2015
Ive dealt with lice and bed bugs both are terrible. Bed bugs when I was staying with some one. Lice at my house with daycare .cleaned like crazy did not work at all boys got hair shaved , girls got hair got really short it was terrible kids kept getting it
originalkat 11:10 AM 09-25-2015
You guys this is totally creeping me out! YUCK!!!!!!
KiddieCahoots 12:10 PM 09-25-2015
Has anyone seen the latest reports on "super lice".
They are showing resistance to the products that use to work getting rid of them
I'd swear those were the ones I had to deal with last Oct. But after running the laundry machines non stop for 4 days, spraying, vacuuming, shampoo treatments for the family...etc., ....(spoken in the voice of the borge)....."resistance is futile" ....
Tags:bed bugs
Reply Up