Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Add Late Pick Up Fees?
Pandaluver21 04:46 PM 11-16-2017
I am so done with this mom... I wish I could loose her without loosing the kid!

So I close at 5:15, mom messages me at 5:13 and says she is stuck in traffic. Signs out at 5:17 without a word and walks to her car.
How do you go about getting late pick up fees? Do you require them at pick up, add it to the next payment, require it before drop off the next day?

This mom has been giving me so many problems lately. After three years she just seems to have given up and is "surprised" when I actually hold her to her contract.

I went over the section in my contract (That she had JUST renewed) and pointed out that payment was due Friday by 5:15 for the following week, and that there is a $10 late fee. A few weeks later she didn't pay friday, and was not here monday, so she would have had a $40 late fee. I wrote her a notice, and said I would waive the first fee (I have done this with all parents and have never had a second offender)
A few weeks after that, she didn't attend Friday, and come monday she got another notice with a late fee of $30. She was mad! Acted like I did this shocking thing that she had no warning of....

Anywhoo... I know it was just 2 minutes, and am grateful she let me know, but I don't want her to think she can just get away with it. What would you do?
Anyone have a spare backbone I can use?
storybookending 05:52 PM 11-16-2017
I think it’s good you stuck to your contract and charged her the late fee the second time payment was late. Does she pay you by check every Friday? Tomorrow morning I would just add “please add $X to tonight’s payment for being late yesterday”. Text it tonight if you want.
Pandaluver21 06:42 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I think it’s good you stuck to your contract and charged her the late fee the second time payment was late. Does she pay you by check every Friday? Tomorrow morning I would just add “please add $X to tonight’s payment for being late yesterday”. Text it tonight if you want.
Every other Friday, tomorrow is not her week to pay.
Sherrihoos 09:19 PM 11-16-2017
Yes what do you do when they send a text saying they are late? Do you still charge? It feels jerky to charge but it’s so annoying!!
HappyEverAfter 09:37 PM 11-16-2017
I've never (knock on wood) had a parent pick up late. My official policy is that late fees are due the next tuition payment. I plan to enforce this should I ever need to.

Definitely let her know that she owes a late fee. It doesn't matter if it was just 2 minutes or not. There shouldn't be a gray area for late fees. Either she was late or not. And she WAS, therefore she owes. Stand your ground.
LittleExplorers 06:07 AM 11-17-2017
When they message you respond, thanks for the heads up, late fees are due tomorrow at drop off. My contract state's before the next day's care.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 11-17-2017
When a parent becomes late, I immediately remove the regular sign in/out sheet and replace it with the LATE sign in/our sheet. It's RED and printed in BIG BOLD letters
LATE SIGN IN ~ OUT

It says "Oops, looks like you are late. Please bring the corresponding late fee at drop off tomorrow or services will be denied and late payment fees attached. Thank you!"

That way parents KNOW they are late, KNOW exactly what the consequences are and what the expectations are.

Also, this DCM is mad you enforced your policies because you let it slide the first time. ANY time a provider does that it sets the stage for ticked off parents when they repeat the behavior and you don't waive the fee again. Next time, don't waive it until AFTER the parent has a great reputation of paying/picking up on time. That way atleast you know they are more than likely good for it or that their word does mean something.

I'm sorry she is being so flakey lately... Hoping she pays you what she owes.
Pandaluver21 09:21 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When a parent becomes late, I immediately remove the regular sign in/out sheet and replace it with the LATE sign in/our sheet. It's RED and printed in BIG BOLD letters
LATE SIGN IN ~ OUT

It says "Oops, looks like you are late. Please bring the corresponding late fee at drop off tomorrow or services will be denied and late payment fees attached. Thank you!"

That way parents KNOW they are late, KNOW exactly what the consequences are and what the expectations are.

Also, this DCM is mad you enforced your policies because you let it slide the first time. ANY time a provider does that it sets the stage for ticked off parents when they repeat the behavior and you don't waive the fee again. Next time, don't waive it until AFTER the parent has a great reputation of paying/picking up on time. That way atleast you know they are more than likely good for it or that their word does mean something.

I'm sorry she is being so flakey lately... Hoping she pays you what she owes.
I love the idea of a different sheet so they know, but all our parents sign in/out through brightwheel :/

This family has been with us for 3 years, the first 2 1/2 were great, but since she came back from summer break she has been really weird. I have ALWAYS waived the first late fee (Parents don't know this until it happens) and have never had someone be late/pay late again. Our "first late fee" states "you did not pay/were late picking up and your late fee would be $___ This fee is waived ONE time. Please understand next time you WILL be responsible for all fees"
Tags:late pick up fee, late pickup letter
Reply Up