Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Question
safechner 12:44 PM 02-26-2010
I have a 4 year old dcg for two years now. I started to watch her since she was 2 years old. That is very strange that she almost never took a nap for two years. I would say she probably take two or three times a year. Is this normal?? I spoke to her mother to see what time she normally go bed and she said she goes to bed around 9pm to 10pm and wake up around 7am. She asked me if she have taken a nap in here and I told her nope she almost never. She think it was strange, too. She said she didn't complained being tired when they picked her up from my home. I always have so busy with our activities everyday with the kids.
mrs.meg 01:24 PM 02-26-2010
Sounds strange to me. All of my kids from 5 and under still take naps. Some people say that some kids do not require as much sleep as others. I am not sure, I guess if this is normal for her after all this time, it must be fine. I think, too it depends on how she acts, is she grumpy and tired and miserable, or is she pleasant to be around?
Persephone 01:39 PM 02-26-2010
On another website almost half of all the mothers say that their child does not take a nap. I think about age 2 they stopped. I think it's crazy but I guess if they want to deal with it, so be it.
mac60 02:03 PM 02-26-2010
I think that is odd too. Even my kindy's take a nap and I have to wake him up many days. If a 2 yr old is not taking a nap, I would say they rule the roost in their home, which is not a good thing. At my house everyone naps if unless your a full day school kid.
originalkat 02:50 PM 02-26-2010
Once in awhile I have had a kid who just NEVER naps. This hasnt happened to me in my home daycare but when I worked in a center out of a class of 12 I usually had 1 who never slept (I had 4 year olds). The rest were pooped though. I always made them rest on their cots anyway.
GretasLittleFriends 03:07 PM 02-26-2010
My son basically quit napping when he was not quite 2, he's 5 now. He does not rule the roost either. He usually goes to bed between 9 and 10pm and typically sleeps in until between 8:30 and 9:30. When he was in daycare she would make him rest, but he didn't sleep. He just lied there staring at the ceiling most of the time. There are days when he seems a little more tired than others, but he's very respectful even during naptime here about keeping quiet.
momma2girls 06:26 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I think that is odd too. Even my kindy's take a nap and I have to wake him up many days. If a 2 yr old is not taking a nap, I would say they rule the roost in their home, which is not a good thing. At my house everyone naps if unless your a full day school kid.
I do the same thing, children need their naps!!
Lucy 11:42 PM 02-26-2010
Sometimes I think Providers count on nap time as their break time, so they make a rule that EVERYONE has to take a nap. Not all kids are the same. Some just don't require as much sleep. It's somewhat rare, but it happens. There are adults that get by just fine with 4 hours of sleep every night for their whole adult lives. I think it's wrong to force naps on kids who don't need them. I'm not saying let them be pushy and get their own way when it comes to not wanting a nap.... I'm not saying that at all! I just feel that some grow out of it earlier than others. I think it's optional at around 3 yrs old. You have to know the kid to know if their body requires it or not. The majority of kids I've watched DO take naps at least till age 5, but I have had some who didn't.

What I do, is that if I have one of those kids who never falls asleep during their nap, I will have them just lay down on my couch for a little bit. Depending on the kid, maybe 30 min, maybe an hour. It provides them with a little down time, which in some cases is just as good as a nap. I had one from age 3 1/2 to 5, who I would just let her quietly do crafts or read or something. The quiet time without other kids and noise was very rejuvenating for her.
Unregistered 06:17 PM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Sometimes I think Providers count on nap time as their break time, so they make a rule that EVERYONE has to take a nap. Not all kids are the same. Some just don't require as much sleep. It's somewhat rare, but it happens. There are adults that get by just fine with 4 hours of sleep every night for their whole adult lives. I think it's wrong to force naps on kids who don't need them. I'm not saying let them be pushy and get their own way when it comes to not wanting a nap.... I'm not saying that at all! I just feel that some grow out of it earlier than others. I think it's optional at around 3 yrs old. You have to know the kid to know if their body requires it or not. The majority of kids I've watched DO take naps at least till age 5, but I have had some who didn't.

What I do, is that if I have one of those kids who never falls asleep during their nap, I will have them just lay down on my couch for a little bit. Depending on the kid, maybe 30 min, maybe an hour. It provides them with a little down time, which in some cases is just as good as a nap. I had one from age 3 1/2 to 5, who I would just let her quietly do crafts or read or something. The quiet time without other kids and noise was very rejuvenating for her.
I think this is a good point, but I wanted to mention how this could apply in our daycare. We use nap time as clean up. The only time we can really do any good sweeping of floors, mopping, sanitizing, lunch clean up, dish washing, etc is during nap time. With 14-16 children each day, there's no other time for it. I do consider it somewhat of a break, though, just because it's quieter, and doesn't require so much physically or mentally as caring for the children. So far out of all the children, only one of them will actually lay quietly if she doesn't sleep. If ANY of the others stay awake on a particular day, they make so much noise, or talk to each other so much, or even to themselves, that they wake the others up, also. Plus, if we try to provide a quiet activity for a certain child who hasn't gone to sleep, any children who wake up early see them doing something besides sleeping, so they soon learn that "If I refuse to go to sleep, I get to do something special". and from then on we've got two awake, the next time three, and so on. If there's more than one awake, they talk too much and get too loud and wake the other's up. So my point is, if even one child doesn't go to sleep, the others don't get to sleep either, and we don't get to clean at all because we're too busy trying to keep the non-nappers quiet and on their cot.
Former Teacher 03:40 PM 02-28-2010
Ok with all due respect I must disagree with you guys lol

Growing up, I was that kind of child. I would almost NEVER nap. My mother, at that time a single mother so my oldest sister raised me, would come home from work late at night around 11:30 and see me wide awake because I did actually have a nap that day. The rule was if I didn't sleep by 12, I had to stay awake.

My mother, too, thought I was odd She kept on taking me to the family doctor sometimes crying because I wouldn't be taking naps, therefore at times she wouldn't get her rest. The doctor explained that I was indeed "normal". However there will come a day in my life where all I would want to do IS sleep. That day was the first day of Kindergarten.

Once I started Kinder, that's all I wanted to do was sleep. Even now 30 odd years later HAHA!
Lucy 10:40 PM 02-28-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think this is a good point, but I wanted to mention how this could apply in our daycare. We use nap time as clean up. The only time we can really do any good sweeping of floors, mopping, sanitizing, lunch clean up, dish washing, etc is during nap time. With 14-16 children each day, there's no other time for it. I do consider it somewhat of a break, though, just because it's quieter, and doesn't require so much physically or mentally as caring for the children. So far out of all the children, only one of them will actually lay quietly if she doesn't sleep. If ANY of the others stay awake on a particular day, they make so much noise, or talk to each other so much, or even to themselves, that they wake the others up, also. Plus, if we try to provide a quiet activity for a certain child who hasn't gone to sleep, any children who wake up early see them doing something besides sleeping, so they soon learn that "If I refuse to go to sleep, I get to do something special". and from then on we've got two awake, the next time three, and so on. If there's more than one awake, they talk too much and get too loud and wake the other's up. So my point is, if even one child doesn't go to sleep, the others don't get to sleep either, and we don't get to clean at all because we're too busy trying to keep the non-nappers quiet and on their cot.
Well, I was clearly talking about home Daycare. I have no experience with centers.
mac60 03:18 AM 03-01-2010
Well, I was clearly talking about home Daycare. I have no experience with centers.
It really doesn't matter if a home daycare or a center, we have basically the same responsibilities as far as care and cleaning, etc, only a home daycare is on a smaller scale, and there is only "one" of us doing all the work.

It only take one to upset the whole nap routine, that is why naps are not optional here.
mac60 03:31 AM 03-01-2010
It really doesn't matter if a home daycare or a center, we have basically the same responsibilities as far as care and cleaning, etc, only a home daycare is on a smaller scale, and there is only "one" of us doing all the work.

It only take one child to upset the whole nap routine, that is why naps are not optional here.

I just did a report for my psychology class about napping. Did you know that many countries have nap rooms for their employees, because they found that napping improved productivity. Sleep deprivation accounts for over $18 billion loss with businesses per year. I could safely guess too that sleep deprivation accounts for the bad behavior of many young children too.
safechner 05:04 PM 03-01-2010
Well, every kids are different, I guess. Usually, I noticed she has some bad mood most of mornings when her mother dropped her off here. After that, she was fine all day here like she really enjoyed being here with me.

Today, she finally fell sleep during nap time so it was so nice to have a break once a while.
Lucy 10:25 PM 03-01-2010

It only take one to upset the whole nap routine, that is why naps are not optional here.
Well, the difference is I nap them in my 4 bedrooms. (Actually 3 and an office.) So the kids can sleep all at the same time and not bother each other, and also not be bothered by anyone who needs to stay in the living room on the couch laying down or reading, or at my dining room table doing quiet activities. Works out great for me. I still get my quiet time to catch up on cleaning and whatnot, but I'm flexible enough that if I have a non-napper they can stay up. That's why naps ARE optional here. When I say "optional", I don't mean the kid chooses. Holy cow - no! It is through careful thought and discussion with the parents and I as a team making the decision that this kid is one of those who just doesn't benefit from being forced to fall asleep in the middle of the day. Especially if they're not going to fall asleep. Quiet time is absolutely sufficient for some.

I remember taking one of my required education courses one time early on (I've done home Daycare for over 15 years) and they talked about how everything we do for the kids should be for their benefit, not ours. I feel like naps fall into that category. If I have to sacrifice ME time, I will. I can clean for a couple min here and there throughout the day and leave the bulk of it for the evening.
Unregistered 05:18 AM 03-02-2010
A lot of providers are open from 6 to 6, I'm only open from 7:30 to 6, but I still need a few minutes during the afternoon to regroup if I'm going to be my sweet rational self by the time 5:55 rolls around and I still have 2 or 3 darlings with me.
Part of my service to the children is taking care of myself so I'm not some bitter shrew who is watching the window on Friday so I can peel them out of the duct tape before the parents walk through the door.

During the summer I don't take a break. So 10.5 hours where I'm going all day. I take kids up to 12 and we do summer-school bridge work during nap time. I'm pretty much useless by 4:30. Don't even want the kids talking to me so we spend all the time after snack outside, "go play" being my mantra. Oh Lord help us all if it's raining. It sucks and I couldn't, I CANNOT, do it all year.

During the school year I have to keep it going until my after school kids leave. I NEED my break in the middle of the day. That's the way it works for me and as far as * I * am concerned a break for me is * for their benefit *. If parents don't agree, then their children need to be somewhere else.
I do the martyr thing with my family, not my business.
originalkat 07:23 AM 03-02-2010
A lot of providers are open from 6 to 6, I'm only open from 7:30 to 6, but I still need a few minutes during the afternoon to regroup if I'm going to be my sweet rational self by the time 5:55 rolls around and I still have 2 or 3 darlings with me.
Part of my service to the children is taking care of myself so I'm not some bitter shrew who is watching the window on Friday so I can peel them out of the duct tape before the parents walk through the door.

During the summer I don't take a break. So 10.5 hours where I'm going all day. I take kids up to 12 and we do summer-school bridge work during nap time. I'm pretty much useless by 4:30. Don't even want the kids talking to me so we spend all the time after snack outside, "go play" being my mantra. Oh Lord help us all if it's raining. It sucks and I couldn't, I CANNOT, do it all year.

During the school year I have to keep it going until my after school kids leave. I NEED my break in the middle of the day. That's the way it works for me and as far as * I * am concerned a break for me is * for their benefit *. If parents don't agree, then their children need to be somewhere else.
I totally agree. I need my "break" at naptime too so I am rejuvinated and fresh for the afternoon. All the kids nap because that is what everyone does. Period. (Plus they need it). At home parents/kids have the luxury of creating and catering to their own unique schedule. However, in group care they must "conform" to a prescribed schedule determined by me and what is best for me and my business. Sorry, but that is just part of life IMO.
misol 07:28 AM 03-02-2010

I agree 100%.
momofboys 10:05 AM 03-02-2010

I agree with you 110%. I don't work as many hours as you but still from about 7:15-5:00. That is a long time to always be "ON" with no break. All my kids rest, even if they don't nap. I use that hour to two hour (if I am lucky) time to pick up, do dishes, clean the kitchen floor, disinfect toys, etc. Rarely do I get much of a break for ME but if it works out I will put my feet up & read for 15-20 min & I need that time to refresh my spirits.
Lucy 09:50 PM 03-02-2010
Couldn't disagree more. You're putting yourself before the kids. That being said, let's agree to disagree or we'll go round in circles on this.
mac60 03:11 AM 03-03-2010
Couldn't disagree more. You're putting yourself before the kids. That being said, let's agree to disagree or we'll go round in circles on this.
And this is the big reason we have children with the issues they have today. Some adults cater to their every whim, refuse to tell them no, cave in on most things, and let the child "run" the family structure. And I have read many articles, and they all say that "an adult must put their health and well being first, in order to take care of loved ones, families, etc. Because if the adult is not healthy and mentally fit, it will do no good for the rest.
momofboys 06:40 AM 03-03-2010
Wow, you think it is okay to not have a 15 min break? Certainly if one of my kids was up I'd tend to their needs. But I see nothing wrong with allowing them to play on their own (under my supervision of course) while I sit & have a short break for 15 min.
momofboys 06:42 AM 03-03-2010
And this is the big reason we have children with the issues they have today. Some adults cater to their every whim, refuse to tell them no, cave in on most things, and let the child "run" the family structure. And I have read many articles, and they all say that "an adult must put their health and well being first, in order to take care of loved ones, families, etc. Because if the adult is not healthy and mentally fit, it will do no good for the rest.
Agree with you whole-heartedly!!! If the caregiver is not getting a rest time or tending to their needs first how in the heck can they provide adequate care? It's the whole put the oxygen mask on your face first then get the child's!
Carole's Daycare 11:03 AM 03-03-2010
I desperately need a break during my 11&1/2 hr day. For a parent to assume it is wrong and putting yourself before the kids is downright appalling. I'm entitled to sit on the toilet for at least 5 mn in peace, eat something without having a kid whine and demand a bite of my food, do some cleanup and recordkeeping so my workday isnt 15 hs long... put a bill in the mailbox, de-stress my brain for a few minutes and prepare for the afternoon-.I really don't care if a parent thinkstheir little precious doesn't need a nap. Besides- some parents lie- and do indeed have an ongoing bedtime struggle/authority issue- and arent exactly going to admit that is the source of the problem. Somehow they think if their child doesnt nap they'll get so tired they'll sleep at home for them in absence of a decent bedtime routine and parental discipline. Bull-hockey. I play classical music/elevator music during nap, and have for the last several years- and without fail after a few weeks- every child in my care, even the most recaltricant, ends up taking nap and adhering to my schedule. Children who arent falling asleep may be disturbed by the noises of the other children, accustomed to a pillow or special blanket, or be "thinking" and not allowing themselves to relax enough to sleep. None of that bodes well for that youngsters health in the long term. If a child can't fall asleep, I expect them to rest quietly and allow everyone else to fall asleep, and stay that way until they naturally awake or I wake them. If they fail to do so I consider it a lack of respect to me, and a lack of concern and empathy for the other children in care, who, without nap are more irritable, likely to fall etc. That lack of respect results in a big fat X on the behavior chart- that has negative consequences of its own.
TGT09 03:12 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
I desperately need a break during my 11&1/2 hr day. For a parent to assume it is wrong and putting yourself before the kids is downright appalling. I'm entitled to sit on the toilet for at least 5 mn in peace, eat something without having a kid whine and demand a bite of my food, do some cleanup and recordkeeping so my workday isnt 15 hs long... put a bill in the mailbox, de-stress my brain for a few minutes and prepare for the afternoon-.I really don't care if a parent thinkstheir little precious doesn't need a nap. Besides- some parents lie- and do indeed have an ongoing bedtime struggle/authority issue- and arent exactly going to admit that is the source of the problem. Somehow they think if their child doesnt nap they'll get so tired they'll sleep at home for them in absence of a decent bedtime routine and parental discipline. Bull-hockey. I play classical music/elevator music during nap, and have for the last several years- and without fail after a few weeks- every child in my care, even the most recaltricant, ends up taking nap and adhering to my schedule. Children who arent falling asleep may be disturbed by the noises of the other children, accustomed to a pillow or special blanket, or be "thinking" and not allowing themselves to relax enough to sleep. None of that bodes well for that youngsters health in the long term. If a child can't fall asleep, I expect them to rest quietly and allow everyone else to fall asleep, and stay that way until they naturally awake or I wake them. If they fail to do so I consider it a lack of respect to me, and a lack of concern and empathy for the other children in care, who, without nap are more irritable, likely to fall etc. That lack of respect results in a big fat X on the behavior chart- that has negative consequences of its own.
I can't agree more with ALL of this! I think you should write a book Carole. :-) I have 10.5 hour days and on Wednesday's, I have a 15.5 hour day. Granted, I have no children of my own but I still need that "break" during the day to keep my own sanity. And, I totally agree that it IS a benefit for the children. 3 days a week, I do have a kindergartner that I do not force to take a nap but he has to be quiet for at LEAST 30 minutes (most days 45 minutes) before he can watch a movie, color, or another craft. I feel bad that he's forced to sit still all day (at school) and then comes here and almost immediately it's nap/quiet time. I've talked to his Mom about it and she says she knows there is no way around it. However, 4 and under need at least a quiet time....I have the ability of seperating my kids so they don't wake each other up. So I'm TEAM NAP! :-)
momma2girls 04:02 PM 03-03-2010
I don't care how many hours a daycare provider is open, everyone deserves a break!!! Also I even have the older children do a quiet time as well- they must read quietly for 30 min. then they sit quietly and watch a movie. THey have to do this quietly, otherwise they will be seperated!! They have to be quiet so my others younger and babies get their full naps without being woke up!!!!! I am open 9 1/2 hrs. daily!! I used to be open 12 hrs. daily!
Lucy 10:09 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Wow, you think it is okay to not have a 15 min break? Certainly if one of my kids was up I'd tend to their needs. But I see nothing wrong with allowing them to play on their own (under my supervision of course) while I sit & have a short break for 15 min.
I'm totally confused as to how you got that out of what I've said. Where did I say I don't think it's ok for me to take a 15 min break? We are apparently reading different threads here. I'm only talking about forcing children to take naps when they are that rare kid who does not need one. That's ALL I'm saying. And of course I let kids play on their own (under my supervision of course) while I sit & have a short break for 15 min. Quote what I said that made you think I didn't.
Lucy 10:14 PM 03-03-2010
Wow. I don't think you understood me. I do NOT, repeat NOT let ANY child decide whether or not he takes a nap. I said that at least twice. I also said there are the RARE kids who do not need a nap, and I will NOT force one upon them when they have repeatedly shown that they do not fall asleep. I also said it is after careful thought and discussion with the parent.

I in NO WAY cater to the kids' every whim, I NEVER refuse to tell them no, I do NOT cave in on ANYTHING, and I most certainly do NOT let the children "run" my daycare. I get plenty of down time. In fact, I watch a soap opera almost every day. Or at least most of it. The kids have play time that I am not always directly involved in. They need that time to have their kid imaginations run wild without my influence. Obviously, I'm supervising them, but they are playing on their own, and that gives me a great break.

Please tell me where I said I let kids run things, and that I never get any rest because I'm always catering to them. If you knew me, I'm not like that at all, and I don't believe I said anything to elude to that. If I did, quote me and I'll clear things up.
Lucy 10:18 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Agree with you whole-heartedly!!! If the caregiver is not getting a rest time or tending to their needs first how in the heck can they provide adequate care? It's the whole put the oxygen mask on your face first then get the child's!
Not directed at you, but where did this become a "Joyce doesn't give herself a break because she lets the kids dictate everything in her Daycare" thread?

Let me repeat.... my ONLY point was that every now and then you have a kid who does not benefit from a nap, in fact it becomes frustrating to them when you force one on them. After recognizing that a particular kid does not fall asleep repeatedly every day, and is becoming increasingly anxious over my forcing one on them, I will have a talk with the parents, and if we agree, then that kid stays up and does quiet activities at my table (as I mentioned above) and I either do some clean up, or rest on the couch myself.

Please read more carefully, people. This has really turned into something I never said, nor intended to put across.
Lucy 10:24 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Oh. My. GAWD!!! When did I EVER say I didn't give myself breaks? The part about putting your own needs above the kids' ONLY refers to forcing a child to take a nap when they do not benefit from it. The responses were that "all kids must take a nap, no question about it". And "we need that time, so they take one no matter what". I don't agree, and I said so. Where do we get the fact that I'm not getting the things done that I need to, or that I'm not getting the rest that I need??? Please quote me. I'm baffled here. And I don't let a kid not take a nap because the parent thought "their precious didn't need one". It's been my suggestion both times it has happened. Also, there is no issue here of the awake kid making noise and keeping the others awake. I sleep them in separate bedrooms.

I'm sorry to go on and on here, but I hate being misunderstood when I feel I was quite clear. Things were read into what I said, and I'm sorry, but that hit me wrong.
Lucy 10:27 PM 03-03-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I can't agree more with ALL of this! I think you should write a book Carole. :-) I have 10.5 hour days and on Wednesday's, I have a 15.5 hour day. Granted, I have no children of my own but I still need that "break" during the day to keep my own sanity. And, I totally agree that it IS a benefit for the children. 3 days a week, I do have a kindergartner that I do not force to take a nap but he has to be quiet for at LEAST 30 minutes (most days 45 minutes) before he can watch a movie, color, or another craft. I feel bad that he's forced to sit still all day (at school) and then comes here and almost immediately it's nap/quiet time. I've talked to his Mom about it and she says she knows there is no way around it. However, 4 and under need at least a quiet time....I have the ability of seperating my kids so they don't wake each other up. So I'm TEAM NAP! :-)
Now this is more like what I do. A kid who doesn't need a nap has that quiet time on the couch or doing a quiet activity at the table. It's not like they're yelling & stomping through the house. It IS quiet time. I stated above that I feel this rare kid definitely benefits from quiet time vs. being forced to sleep when they can't.

Sorry, I'm done ranting.
momofboys 06:33 AM 03-04-2010
This was what I was referring to Joyce. You don't say who you are replying to since you didn't reference anyone so it was easy to misunderstand what/who you were referring to. No offense intended.
Unregistered 05:23 PM 03-04-2010
Just went back through and saw I missed your reply, Joyce. I am also at a home daycare & Preschool. It's considered a class 2 home, I think. Whichever one allows up to 16 children. There's only 2 of us (myself and the owner) working most of the time. Sometimes during nap and after naps there's only one of us (a few of the children leave by the time nap is over, so we don't always need two adults by that time). Sorry for the miscommunication.
Tags:4 year old, naps, sleep
Reply Up