Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Projects But No Snow
kcnjason 08:12 PM 11-28-2011
We live in Montana and we do not have snow. It is almost december and the majority of ideas for this time of year are polar bears, snowmen, snow, anges, christmas, etc....it's very hard to get into these crafts without snow. I know their are some people that NEVER recieve snow but this is very unusual to us. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what we could do???? (I'm sure it will snow now!!! lol
SilverSabre25 05:09 AM 11-29-2011
Well, you could always make snowflakes out of paper..."since we don't have any snow outside, we're going to make our own in here!"

Then make all sorts of snowy decorations and move on with your ideas as usual. You don't have to go out in to the snow, but the kids can still get excited about polar bears and christmas even without snow on the ground.
MarinaVanessa 08:42 AM 11-29-2011
Yes, what Silver says. I'm one of those that never gets snow so we have to make our own winter wonderland. We hang paper snowflakes from everything, make cotton snow men etc.

I'm in southern CA and it's 8:40am and already a nice and wintery 74 degrees. If I can get into the spirit of winter then I KNOW you can get into the spirit of winter even if there is not snow
momofsix 09:07 AM 11-29-2011
We've had snowball fights with cotton-balls before, a huge hit!
BigMama 09:17 AM 11-29-2011
You could do a pre-winter theme...such as how animals prepare for and handle winter (gathering, migrating, hibernating, etc.) We are currently doing bird watching as it is the perfect time of year to see birds without all of the pesky leaves on the trees ! If you "do holidays" in your program a fun non-snow project/theme for this time of year is gingerbread/gingerbread people.
Michelle 09:38 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
We've had snowball fights with cotton-balls before, a huge hit!
cool!
we make snowballs with paper and masking tape and have snowball fights outside...
Sugar Magnolia 10:16 AM 11-29-2011
As a Floridian, I can't help but laugh, sorry! Lol! We wrap palm tree trunks w Xmas lights, have fake snow spray for the windows, inflatable snowmen and (gasp) sometimes have to wear pants. Yep, still mosquito spray season here. Nothing to get you in the Xmas spirit like mosqitos.
heyhun77 05:07 AM 12-01-2011
I'm in North Dakota and we had planned all the snow activiites as well. We just moved them to January and planned out a Christmas around the world theme for December. There is plenty of winter coming up to do all the winter/snow stuff. :-)
kidkair 03:12 PM 12-01-2011
Most of the snow we get comes in Feb and March so that's when I like to focus on snowmen and snow stuff. It's also getting warmer out about then and makes it more enjoyable. Currently we are having fun with learning how to pile on the layers since it's been in the 20s all week. Curriculum wise we focus on the lack of daylight hours, baking, celebrations/gift giving, the cold and how to stay safe in the cold, and ice.
Tags:projects, projects - winter, winter
Reply Up