Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hate Waiting....
Brooksie 03:17 PM 06-18-2013
.... for late interviewers! Supposed to have someone here at 6:00 and now its 6:15 and I have no one... I have so much to do this evening and I hate sitting around. Normally I'd say after 15 min I'd just run but I was really needing this family. I know I know if they're late for the interview is it REALLY a family I want (late pick ups and no call no show possibility). I just hate the effort put into getting ready for an interview and a great phone interview and then no show. Its disrespectful. What do I do? Leave and put a note on the door? "Sorry potential family, interview was at 6:00. I left at 6:20 for the grocery store since you never showed" ?
LaLa1923 03:25 PM 06-18-2013
I know just how you feel!! I have one for 6:30, we'll see how it goes.I always confirm the day of the appointment. I'd call them and see where they are!
daycare 03:27 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
.... for late interviewers! Supposed to have someone here at 6:00 and now its 6:15 and I have no one... I have so much to do this evening and I hate sitting around. Normally I'd say after 15 min I'd just run but I was really needing this family. I know I know if they're late for the interview is it REALLY a family I want (late pick ups and no call no show possibility). I just hate the effort put into getting ready for an interview and a great phone interview and then no show. Its disrespectful. What do I do? Leave and put a note on the door? "Sorry potential family, interview was at 6:00. I left at 6:20 for the grocery store since you never showed" ?
depending on how bad I needed the business, I would just let it go. I won't chase anyone. If they need me, they know how to get in touch with me.

NOw I have called when it was a few minutes past and would ask just wanted to make sure you didnt get lost..... If they did, great let me help you, if they didn't then I will make note of that and just move on.

I also hate it. For awhile there I had 3 in a row and it was driving me NUTS!!!!!
Brooksie 04:17 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I know just how you feel!! I have one for 6:30, we'll see how it goes.I always confirm the day of the appointment. I'd call them and see where they are!
They have a "voice mailbox that is not set up yet". Couldn't leave a message... I left around 6:30 and just got home with my groceries. Forget it. lol I don't have time for that crap. Hope your interview went well!
jenn 06:29 PM 06-18-2013
I had a no show today. She scheduled the appointment and basically said they already knew based on referral that their daughter would start next Monday. The meeting in person was just a formality. No call, no show. Rude!
LaLa1923 10:45 AM 06-19-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
They have a "voice mailbox that is not set up yet". Couldn't leave a message... I left around 6:30 and just got home with my groceries. Forget it. lol I don't have time for that crap. Hope your interview went well!
Thank you! It went very well! She is checking out my references so I'm crossing my fingers she chooses me!
Starburst 11:15 PM 06-19-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I had a no show today. She scheduled the appointment and basically said they already knew based on referral that their daughter would start next Monday. The meeting in person was just a formality. No call, no show. Rude!
Obviously they don't understand that the interview is also for YOU to see if are willing to accept their child in your program.
coolconfidentme 05:56 AM 06-20-2013
I quoted a price a family of 4 & mom scheduled an interview. She was a no call, no show. Fast forward 6 months.., she called again & inquired about daycare. Something inside said to give her a break. I did. Turns out she was trying to get out of an abusive marriage & was looking for a way. (He wouldn't even let her work.) She had packed her 4 kids in a two bedroom trailer & worked a crappy job looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. She wanted a better life for her kids so I helped her with a resume & interviewing skills. Last week she moved into a better home & next week she starts a better, rewarding job. The kids went from being negative, disruptive monsters to open, friendly little huggers!

The book cover doesn't always tell the story...
TheGoodLife 09:13 AM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I quoted a price a family of 4 & mom scheduled an interview. She was a no call, no show. Fast forward 6 months.., she called again & inquired about daycare. Something inside said to give her a break. I did. Turns out she was trying to get out of an abusive marriage & was looking for a way. (He wouldn't even let her work.) She had packed her 4 kids in a two bedroom trailer & worked a crappy job looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. She wanted a better life for her kids so I helped her with a resume & interviewing skills. Last week she moved into a better home & next week she starts a better, rewarding job. The kids went from being negative, disruptive monsters to open, friendly little huggers!

Great story!
My3cents 10:22 AM 06-20-2013
After learning the hard way, I wait fifteen minutes and if no show I go on with my day or evening. If they show up I decide if I want to reschedule or not, or even answer my door at that point.

When I first started out I was beyond excited to get my first interviews and then the let down began. Now I don't let it get to me and I move on. I don't want to work with a parent that doesn't respect me enough from the on site to pick up the phone and call and say they are not going to make it or can I reschedule. No big red flag.
My3cents 10:25 AM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:

I so agree with this...... and to the other side of this. I had a parent come and interview with me and I thought they are never going to go with me because they are way out of my league. Wrong..... so wrong was I. Love this family.
coolconfidentme 10:09 AM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by my3cents:
i so agree with this...... And to the other side of this. I had a parent come and interview with me and i thought they are never going to go with me because they are way out of my league. Wrong..... So wrong was i. Love this family.
yay you!!!
wdmmom 10:18 AM 06-21-2013
I don't provide my physical address until 1 hour before the interview time. If they don't call or email me for it, I don't stick around.

I also tell them that in he event of a no call, no show not to call me back for daycare. My time is precious and I don't set up interviews and give them a second chance.

I also watch the clock like a hawk! Timing is everything! If they are punctual or even 5 minutes early, GREAT! If they are late, I don't tend to have much interest in working for them. And if they are more than 10 minutes late, I send them packing. I've done it twice! 6pm means 6pm, not 610pm.
MarinaVanessa 01:43 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I don't provide my physical address until 1 hour before the interview time. If they don't call or email me for it, I don't stick around.
I do this too.
BABYLUVER21 05:12 PM 06-21-2013
I had a dcc who cancelled appts 2x on me, both by not showing up or calling, but she DID take my calls and give me her "reasons" which at the time I thought were "yeah right" ones . The 3rd time, she said she'd be there by 1pm but instead of HER being late, I was just a few minutes late because I had a dr appt that ran just a hair longer than I thought and I didn't have a cell at the time, and got there by 1:08 and she had been "waiting" she called me and said "You were late" and sounded upset, but insisted that we meet anyway and she turned around and came back. I really did not think that she'd choose me. lol

She and I actually ended up getting along and had same ideas on care, etc. We let bygones be bygones and agreed to a trial run of things.

Had the kid for 5 years before they moved

Sometimes things just happen and neither person means for it to happen. That said, I generally do not give extra chances if a person does not call me and I also tried NEVER to be late or schedule appointments just after personal appointments. She was one in one million, for sure.
Tags:interview - late, interview - no show
Reply Up