Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Disclose?
daycare 07:41 AM 11-01-2013
I had an interview on Wed that was a bit odd. The family was nice, but asked some questions I have never been asked before.

The one that got me was................

How much financial coverage do you have on your daycare liability insurance and auto policy? Well I guess this is legit considering I do advertise as FULLY INSURED.

Hmmmmm. I was not sure what to say, I just said enough to make sure each child is covered in the event there was an accident.

I really liked this family, but I can't stop thinking about this. Here is what I am thinking, they are looking to file a claim? IDK, am I being too skeptical?

One of the other questions they asked me was if I was a citizen????

I just looked at them and avoided that question. NO I am not, but I am here legally.
sharlan 07:52 AM 11-01-2013
I really think that I would pass on this family.
Shell 07:54 AM 11-01-2013
Sounds strange...I wouldn't care for that line of questioning. I agree, pass!
daycare 08:08 AM 11-01-2013
glad I am not the only one who is seeing this as a RED flag.

My husband who is my asst at times said that I am over looking it.

I told him that it just didn't sit right with me. He said, well you make the final call.

I think I am going to pass.

I will say that I was more taken back by why they asked if I was a citizen that the insurance. That question to me was a bit offensive.....
butterfly 08:12 AM 11-01-2013
Every time I've went against my gut feeling, it has bitten me. If you feel weird about it (I would too!!), I woudn't sign them on.
sahm1225 08:22 AM 11-01-2013
The insurance question is odd but if you google questions to ask daycares, it's one of the questions you should ask. Or I'm pretty sure it says to ask if you have sufficient coverage..
The citizen question is offensive and I would pass just based on that. I'm guessing you look 'ethnic', but come on, would they ask that of someone who looks what they consider to be American/citizen.,
I wouldn't be able to look past that.

Good lucj!!
daycare 08:25 AM 11-01-2013
I think I look american.......lol with a bit of a funny accent

thanks for all of your input. PASS, NEXT...
Leanna 08:29 AM 11-01-2013
Whoops!
sharlan 08:31 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

I told him that it just didn't sit right with me. He said, well you make the final call.

I will say that I was more taken back by why they asked if I was a citizen that the insurance. That question to me was a bit offensive.....

Haven't you learned to listen to your inner voice over your dh yet? If it doesn't feel right, it isn't.
Leanna 08:31 AM 11-01-2013

I was thinking the same thing! I can sort of understand the insurance questions but what difference does it make if you are a citizen???? Also, more insultingly, did she ask you that because of your appearance? I would have been totally insulted.
daycare 08:32 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Haven't you learned to listen to your inner voice over your dh yet? If it doesn't feel right, it isn't.
to be honest.....I hardly ever listen to what he has to say when it comes to my childcare business. lol

BUT I still always ask for his opinion........that's so bad of me..
JoseyJo 08:40 AM 11-01-2013
The insurance question is odd, but I totally agree the citizen question is offensive!

Parents ask odd questions, that have very little to do with the running of the daycare! We had one last week kept asking why we weren't burnt out and how we could stand all the little kids...
Laurel 09:00 AM 11-01-2013
I had parents that were in the insurance business. I had them for years and years through 2 children. Every year they asked and I gave them a 'certificate of insurance' from my liability daycare insurance company. It tells someone you are covered but not how much you are covered for (if I remember correctly). They were my best parents ever.

As far as being a citizen, I would have to say "Why do you ask?"

In fact, for any question that I consider weird I'd say "Why do you ask?"

That said, I'd go with my gut. Usually guts are always right or pretty darn close....

Laurel
jenn 09:43 AM 11-01-2013
Nope. I wouldn't take them. I can see a very OCD type parent asking if you carry insurance, but wanting the amounts seems like a little much information.
coolconfidentme 09:54 AM 11-01-2013
pass!
TwinKristi 10:17 AM 11-01-2013
I'm not sure how this works state to state, but in CA you don't have to have insurance and it's one of the forms we're required to have signed and on file if we don't carry insurance. Well at a R&R pre licensing class they recommend that you have everyone sign it, even if you carry insurance, and then IF something happens you offer it to parents. Otherwise you open yourself up to fraudulent claims if someone "knows" you have insurance and perhaps makes a claim against you. Even if you're not fully responsible, your insurance company may just agree to pay it to be done with it and avoid any type of litigation. I've had it happen with my renter's insurance over a house fire we had. We weren't responsible but because they couldn't come up with a for sure cause, that left us essentially responsible and they agreed to pay 50% of the claim.

I have been licensed since last Dec and just got insurance in August I believe? A friend of mine's 4yr old dd fell while at daycare and not only broke her arm but ended up having surgery! Just slipped on a rock or something? Her provider is an older career daycare provider and has her DS & DD since 3mos when she went back to work and they're now 8 & 4. So a long time! I don't know how it worked with their insurance companies, usually they try to see if someone else is financially responsible before paying. Anyway, after that happened I got insurance! It really was a wake up call that even if I'm not insured someone could get hurt while here and it's just a smart idea!
daycare 10:35 AM 11-01-2013
I do understand what you are saying, but I transport children as well and as a parent, I would want to know that my daycare had the proper coverage before I let my kid get in the car.

I have two different policies, one is an umbrella that covers auto and any accidents at the home and then a second one that covers abuse, lawyers fees, off-site accidents that could occur while on field trips and other forms of protection that could possibly be used against me.

it is the responsibility of the insurance companies to do an investigation and decide if the claim is reasonable. If it is not found as reasonable and they will not cover it, then the parents will be required to take me to court.

My second insurance policy will then cover all of my lawyers fees should this ever happen.
KidGrind 11:41 AM 11-01-2013
I had an interview on Wed that was a bit odd. The family was nice, but asked some questions I have never been asked before.

The one that got me was................

How much financial coverage do you have on your daycare liability insurance and auto policy? Well I guess this is legit considering I do advertise as FULLY INSURED.

Hmmmmm. I was not sure what to say, I just said enough to make sure each child is covered in the event there was an accident.

I really liked this family, but I can't stop thinking about this. Here is what I am thinking, they are looking to file a claim? IDK, am I being too skeptical?

One of the other questions they asked me was if I was a citizen????

I just looked at them and avoided that question. NO I am not, but I am here legally.

I think asking the amount of liability insurance is a fair question if you mention you are fully insured. You made a claim. The parents are only asking you to back it up.

When I advertise and interview I share that I use farm fresh milk. So, I am not a bit surprised if a parent asks to see it. I get up and show them the milk.

Now as far as asking if you are a citizen is a bit much. Asking if you are legally allowed to work in the United States, Canada, etc. is a fair question.

I'd go with your gut. I recently went with mine. The provider who took in the family is having major issues. She finally decided to terminate. I dodged a major bullet.
jojosmommy 11:43 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I really think that I would pass on this family.
Me too. Seems odd.
cheerfuldom 11:45 AM 11-01-2013
I always think it is strange that parents will ask all of these type of questions and then ask NOTHING about what you do with the children, your experience with children, or offer any info about their child. Its like someone else said, they google "what to ask your daycare provider" and get a wacky list and dont even use common sense in how to apply the list. I have had a couple of weird interviews like this.
renodeb 10:09 AM 11-04-2013
What was I gonna say? Oh yeah Run!!!!!!!!!! I have never had a parent ask that in 10 years of doing dc.
daycare 10:21 AM 11-04-2013
I did pass on this family. They were a bit upset, but I just could not get past the red flags....

thanks for all of your thoughts on this...
MarinaVanessa 10:31 AM 11-04-2013
I'll be the odd one out here but I wouldn't particularly run from this family. The question about asking how much insurance coverage is probably just them making sure that you do have coverage just in case something happens. I've been asked this a few times and although I don't disclose exactly how much I have I show them a letter from my insurance that says that I have liability insurance. When they ask me why I won't disclose the amount I just say that the insurance is there for my benefit, not theirs therefore there is no need to disclose it.

As far as the citizen question, they're probably just asking to make sure it isn't illegal daycare. I would've explained that I wouldn't have been licensed otherwise.

If there are more red flags then perhaps. For example, one of the interviewees that I rejected asked about the amount of my liability insurance but also asked about a lot of other financial questions too. What they asked very little about was about how I run my daycare, activities, discipline etc. They seemed to be more interested in my financial aspect which I flat out refuse to disclose.
daycarediva 10:42 AM 11-04-2013
I would have passed, probably.

I do have a certificate of insurance under my ECE degree, and my state registration, right on the wall for everyone to see. I have been asked if I had insurance a few times, so I just point now.
daycarediva 10:44 AM 11-04-2013
I was asked in an interview if I taught Spanish to the kids. I didn't 'get it' until later (too late to say anything) that because I look Spanish, I must KNOW Spanish. I can swear, that's about it and not what you want me teaching your preschooler. LOL!!!
daycare 11:00 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'll be the odd one out here but I wouldn't particularly run from this family. The question about asking how much insurance coverage is probably just them making sure that you do have coverage just in case something happens. I've been asked this a few times and although I don't disclose exactly how much I have I show them a letter from my insurance that says that I have liability insurance. When they ask me why I won't disclose the amount I just say that the insurance is there for my benefit, not theirs therefore there is no need to disclose it.

As far as the citizen question, they're probably just asking to make sure it isn't illegal daycare. I would've explained that I wouldn't have been licensed otherwise.

If there are more red flags then perhaps. For example, one of the interviewees that I rejected asked about the amount of my liability insurance but also asked about a lot of other financial questions too. What they asked very little about was about how I run my daycare, activities, discipline etc. They seemed to be more interested in my financial aspect which I flat out refuse to disclose.
I advertise as legally licensed DC with my LIC #. I also show them when they walk in all of my LIC Forms that I am required to display, as well as my degree and other certificates earned over my years in DC..

Before this question was asked to me about being a citizen, I did inform them that I would be sending them a monthly invoice/rcpt and that all money collected would be reported to the IRS.

The family was upset at my turning them down. They said that they went to about 12 other places and I was their first choice. I told them that I did not feel that we were a good fit for each other. They asked why and I told them that I did not think that we were all on the same page when it came to my PHB. DCD did not respond to me when I said that.

Who knows if they truly would have been a good fit or not, I just could not get it past my gut feeling that it was not right.....
Reply Up