Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sample Schedule For 5 Month Old??
janell999 09:12 AM 06-02-2017
I have had this baby here at daycare since he was 3 months old. The mom said she has never been a very good napper. he usually takes 15-30 minute cat naps every 2 hours and eats 4 oz. bottles every 2 hours. i told her I would keep his schedule until he got a bit older and got used to being here. well, he's 5 months now and his mom still only feeds him 4 oz. bottles every 2 hours and his naps are the same. I'd like to get him on a better schedule such as 6-7 oz. bottles every 4 hours and 3 good longer naps a day(at least 1-2 hour stretches). I think he gets so hungry he can't stay asleep.
He was staying with his grandparents this week while his parents were out of town and so his 2 hour schedule got messed up while they were watching him so today I decided since he was already messed up, i would try a new schedule with him to see what happens. I gave him a 6 oz bottle and a half hour later I put him down for a nap. Well it's been an hour and he's still sleeping so I might be onto something

I'm curious what other 4-6 month old sleep/eating schedule are like at daycare?? Care to share?

I might try to talk his mom into letting me adapt his schedule. by the way, she is a first time mom and has admitted several times that she doesn't really know what she's doing and I can let her know if something i'm doing is working better. so I feel like she will listen if I talk to her about it.
Pestle 09:25 AM 06-02-2017
Yeah, that's an unacceptable napping schedule if you have more than one child to care for. You need to let her know that he's got to transition to longer naps so that the other kids are able to participate in the program fully--those little catnaps interrupt meals, outdoor time, etc.

Is she feeding him until he's sated?

If she makes a big bottle, how many ounces does he eat until he's done?

If she gives him only a 4oz bottle, when he finishes it, is he still pulling hard on it or has he slowed way down? If she offers him a second bottle very shortly afterward, will he take it?

That's how I'd figure out if it's enough food.
trix23 01:06 PM 06-04-2017
I don't know about other kids schedules but I can speak from experience with my own kids and we have an 8 month old baby of our own. I was feeding him four ounce bottles when he was about 4 months old (after I stop breastfeeding) and then he would nap for a good two hours each time- once in the morning and once in the afternoon. If she's exclusively breastfeeding and the baby keeps falling asleep while nursing, have her try to wake the baby up a little bit if they start falling asleep or unlatch the baby, sit them up a little bit, play with them and then back to feeding. try to have it be where either breast or bottle is kind of a business time what the child is awake and then have sleep be something different entirely.

I can definitely see how her being a first-time mom is affecting this. Babies need have a full tummy if they're going to sleep long stretches. See if she will pump if breastfeeding or offer maybe A5 or 6 oz bottle at a feeding and then try napping at home and see how that goes.
janell999 11:21 AM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Yeah, that's an unacceptable napping schedule if you have more than one child to care for. You need to let her know that he's got to transition to longer naps so that the other kids are able to participate in the program fully--those little catnaps interrupt meals, outdoor time, etc.

Is she feeding him until he's sated?

If she makes a big bottle, how many ounces does he eat until he's done?

If she gives him only a 4oz bottle, when he finishes it, is he still pulling hard on it or has he slowed way down? If she offers him a second bottle very shortly afterward, will he take it?

That's how I'd figure out if it's enough food.
he almost always wants more milk after he finishes the 4 oz. he cries when I take the empty bottle away. He is not breastfed. occasionally I will give him another 2 oz because i feel like he's still hungry. The naps are the hardest part though. He just doesn't stay asleep. I have two 3 year olds as well so his eating/sleeping schedule does interfere quite a bit.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:41 AM 06-05-2017
I would be doing probably 5-8 ounces every 3-4 hours.
(general, as some babies eat more or less)

7 am - arrives fed and awake (top off food if you think she doesn't give him enough)

8:30-10 - nap

10 am - feed 6 +/- ounces, play and wake time

11:30-1:00 - nap

1:00 - feed, play

2:30-4 nap

4 pm - feed, play, send home

This will vary based on how much they eat, but the idea is that mom goes home, does an evening cat nap if needed, but feeds at 7ish and puts to bed at 8/8:30. During the day, I wake them to feed. At night, they sleep till they wake naturally, feed, right back to bed. As for naps, depends on how you feel, but I let them self soothe and nap is not over until I feel it is time. Like, if the next feed is 4 and they wake at 3:30, we get up and play and I feed a bit early if they are fussy, otherwise wait till closer to 4. If they only sleep 15 min, they lay are allowed to lay in bed and fall back to sleep. Hope that helps!
hwichlaz 04:13 PM 06-05-2017
I'd offer 6 ounces....and put him down in a pack n play at 10 am and 2pm for nap. Don't get him out for an hour. Rub his back or pat him for a few min when he wakes up before the hour is up so that he knows he's not alone...but don't pick him up. Then if after an hour he's awake, get him up and try to keep him awake until the next nap time.
janell999 01:06 PM 06-07-2017
i have adapted a new schedule for him the past few days and it seems to be working great.
8am-6 oz bottle
8:30-10:30-nap
12:00- 6 oz bottle
12:30-2:30 nap
4:00-6 oz bottle
Tags:infant - schedule
Reply Up