Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Keep Old Forms?
KSDC 08:18 AM 11-08-2017
So, I have been a provider for 11 years now. I have every form that any parent has ever filled out for me, and all the paperwork that I have filled out, in my files.
(Contracts, food program, medical forms, annual inspections, etc)
How many years do you keep them before they can be shredded and trashed?
storybookending 08:22 AM 11-08-2017
My old boss at the center told me 7 years as she used to do hom daycare before taking on our director position. I am unsure if this is a licensing thing or a taxes thing as I’ve only been at this 1.5 years and haven’t needed to look into it yet.
284878 08:24 AM 11-08-2017
My state says 4 years from departure date. Tom on the other hand told a story on one of his webinars about a dck suing DCP once he turned 18 for an injury that occurred during care 16 years ago. The provider had retired from DC for ten years, when he sued her.
So personally, I would make electronic copies of all forms before I trashed the paper ones. Then keep them forever.
MarinaVanessa 08:27 AM 11-08-2017
My state says 3 years so I get rid of any state paperwork for that long and then throw out. For tax purposes I keep all tax forms for 7 just in case of an audit. This includes attendance records, meals, payment records, bills etc.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 11-08-2017
I thought it was 2 years, but once I put them in manila binders as "Disenrolled" and take them up to the attic filing cabinets, I don't bring them back down.

So, to be succinct: Forever. Or until we move.
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 11-08-2017
My state (MN) requires me to keep children's files until I am no longer in business. I believe it's 5 yrs..
I can't remember but I know it's atleast until I am no longer in business.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=245A.041
hwichlaz 03:51 PM 11-08-2017
daycare records for 3 years, tax records for 7.
Second Home 07:07 AM 11-09-2017
In MD we need to keep all children's files for 2 years . Check with licensing in your area to see what they require.
Mom2Two 12:12 PM 11-09-2017
I think state's rule is six years after disenroll, but I can't remember for sure. I've just kept all mine so far. I guess I'll look it up when I feel like i need to get rid of some.
Tags:forms
Reply Up