Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rest Time Question/Advice
SimpleMom 11:34 AM 07-30-2009
This is the first day in weeks that all of my dc kids have slept or really used a good down time. I am so glad, because I am finding myself burnt out by Tuesdays let alone 2pm.

Today it is a great relief. It's just so nice to have it totally quiet for a little while to regroup my mind and body for the rest of the day.

Does anyone else have non-nappers at their home facility? How do you work it out so that the younger ones still get their much needed rest and the older ones can get some quiet time and quiet play time in? I get my paperwork done during a 20 minute span of time during the early part of rest time even when the older kids are up. I just get them occupied with activities, but it doesn't keep the room very quiet or give me time to regroup. That's where I'm stuck.

At centers I had time to take a break and go to the bathroom and such. At a home daycare it's not so easy. I just need some uninterrupted time in the afteroon to regroup so that I don't burn out.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
mac60 01:22 PM 07-30-2009
All children in my care during nap time must lay down and have quiet time. No exceptions. While the older ones (5/6 yr olds) do not have to actually sleep, they do have to lay down and be quiet and not disturb others. If they don't cooperate, they will be removed from the room and given a nice kitchen chair to sit in. This is my time to eat lunch, clean up the lunch mess, work on activities for the next days, get daycare laundry done, clean up daily messes, etc. I have tried the "letting the 6 yr old stay up and sit in the kitchen and color or other so called quiet activity", and it just doesn't work. So, there are no exceptions here. Everyone lays down. As a provider who works from 6:30 to 5:30 each day, I totally understand how important this little bit of quiet time is for us to wind down from the day, catch up on work, etc.

Now if it is school age kids, I would maybe let them take turns bringing a video, or suggest they bring a book or hand game to play. Something where they can sit quietly and do their activitity during naptime. If a school age child did not cooperate I would probably give them a spot to sit and reflect on as to why they are sitting there in a chair. Since I don't know what ages you are actually referring to, it is hard to give an answer. There is no reason even a school age child needs to be on the go all day long.
seashell 01:33 PM 07-30-2009
I have just the opposite problem . . . my kids nap a solid 2 and a half hours and I have to wake them up so that they won't sleep away the day!

I have had non - nappers before. I ask that they lay on a cot and watch a video of their choice while the others nap. If they disturb the other children, the video gets turned off.
Unregistered 05:40 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
All children in my care during nap time must lay down and have quiet time. No exceptions. While the older ones (5/6 yr olds) do not have to actually sleep, they do have to lay down and be quiet and not disturb others. If they don't cooperate, they will be removed from the room and given a nice kitchen chair to sit in. This is my time to eat lunch, clean up the lunch mess, work on activities for the next days, get daycare laundry done, clean up daily messes, etc. I have tried the "letting the 6 yr old stay up and sit in the kitchen and color or other so called quiet activity", and it just doesn't work. So, there are no exceptions here. Everyone lays down. As a provider who works from 6:30 to 5:30 each day, I totally understand how important this little bit of quiet time is for us to wind down from the day, catch up on work, etc.

Now if it is school age kids, I would maybe let them take turns bringing a video, or suggest they bring a book or hand game to play. Something where they can sit quietly and do their activitity during naptime. If a school age child did not cooperate I would probably give them a spot to sit and reflect on as to why they are sitting there in a chair. Since I don't know what ages you are actually referring to, it is hard to give an answer. There is no reason even a school age child needs to be on the go all day long.
I am sorry but I do not agree with your statement that if a child in your home daycare does not nap they are placed in a chair. Whether it is a "nice kitchen chair" or not. That sounds to me like a time out for not sleeping. All because you want to eat, go to the bathroom, clean up (things that CAN be done while the children are still up, you just have to work around it) etc. It just seems cruel to force them to sit in a chair with nothing to do. Again its just my opinion.

I understand that you work a long day. So do the parents. No maybe we aren't watching children (which I agree is a hard job but there ARE harder jobs in this world) , however we are working just as hard as you do. Our days are just as long as yours is.
mac60 03:34 AM 07-31-2009
I personally see nothing wrong with having a 5/6 yr old, who is not cooperating and being disruptive at nap, to sit at the kitchen table and look at a book or play with a quiet activity. If they continue to be disruptive at the table with the quiet activity, it will be taken away and they will have nothing to do. Why is it that some are so afraid to be the adult and discipline children. It isn't like the child is put in a corner, they are being sat at the kitchen table, and if they are quiet there they can sit and do an activity, if they are not quiet, the consequence is no activity. Providers understand that you can not allow 1 child to totally disrupt naptime.

On a side note, I really wish people had to register to post. People hide behind "unregistered" and post rude and nasty comments about others.
seashell 05:51 AM 07-31-2009
I personally see nothing wrong with having a 5/6 yr old, who is not cooperating and being disruptive at nap, to sit at the kitchen table and look at a book or play with a quiet activity. If they continue to be disruptive at the table with the quiet activity, it will be taken away and they will have nothing to do. Why is it that some are so afraid to be the adult and discipline children. It isn't like the child is put in a corner, they are being sat at the kitchen table, and if they are quiet there they can sit and do an activity, if they are not quiet, the consequence is no activity. Providers understand that you can not allow 1 child to totally disrupt naptime.

On a side note, I really wish people had to register to post. People hide behind "unregistered" and post rude and nasty comments about others.

Mac,

You didn't mention in your original post that the kids have activities while sitting at the table. I think she just misunderstood your post.
mac60 06:22 AM 07-31-2009
I edited her post, as there were some rude comments made.

It states in my handbook that all kids who are here during nap time will lay down and have quiet time. I normally do not make exceptions to that rule. I have occassionaly let a 6 yr old sit at the table and do a quiet activity, at her request. If she becomes disruptive she will have to go lay down, disruptive there, and you will sit in a chair doing nothing. Rules are put in place for a reason, without them, it would be total caos.

My kids have a lot of fun here, and when nap time comes, most are ready to lay down and nap, on the days where you have the one that is being disruptive, you just have to take care of the situation, as you can't have 1 child disrupt the whole group.
Unregistered 02:42 PM 07-31-2009
I edited her post, as there were some rude comments made.

It states in my handbook that all kids who are here during nap time will lay down and have quiet time. I normally do not make exceptions to that rule. I have occassionaly let a 6 yr old sit at the table and do a quiet activity, at her request. If she becomes disruptive she will have to go lay down, disruptive there, and you will sit in a chair doing nothing. Rules are put in place for a reason, without them, it would be total caos.

My kids have a lot of fun here, and when nap time comes, most are ready to lay down and nap, on the days where you have the one that is being disruptive, you just have to take care of the situation, as you can't have 1 child disrupt the whole group.

I did NOT make rude comments. I was stating my opinion as you continually overstate yours on this board. As Seashell posted, you did not claify your "rules". It was just a shame that you had to get to my post first and be the one to edit out my "opinion" on your business. You didn't like it so you deleted it. So if anyone here is rude and nasty, its certain moderators who cant respect other peoples opinions.
mac60 03:24 PM 07-31-2009
Opinions are one thing, but making direct negative statements and accusations about someone and how they may and may not do things is not right, and I am not going to let those kinds of comments be out in the open when they are attacking to me, just like I am sure others would not want that done to them. Thank you. I hope it stops here.
Former Teacher 03:36 PM 07-31-2009
Opinions are one thing, but making direct negative statements and accusations about someone and how they may and may not do things is not right, and I am not going to let those kinds of comments be out in the open when they are attacking to me, just like I am sure others would not want that done to them. Thank you. I hope it stops here.

Fine, as always, you are right and you have the final last word. It's over.
Unregistered 06:57 PM 07-31-2009

Personally I agree with this! Children in this day need disciplining! They need to learn consequences! Thats whats wrong w/this world today IMO...I do not take school agers any more for a lot of reasons....when i did, they had to lay down and watch tv/movie. whether its a 5yr or a 10yr old. quiet time is just that! for me as much as it is for them. sleeping is not a requirement but being quiet is. if a child is always disruptive i have to decide if this child is a fit for my daycare or not.
GretasLittleFriends 07:47 PM 07-31-2009
My son age 4 doesn't nap. I also have another 4yr old boy who doesn't nap. During nap time these two sit/lay on the couch and watch a movie quietly. The nappers are in bedroom with the door closed. It's what I've found to work best. There has been a time or two the boys get a little rambunctious in which case the movie gets turned off and they're each told to lay still and quiet.

P.S. If this site required you to be registered to post (WHICH IT SHOULD) you could then take your unhappiness with each other to private messages as opposed to airing dirty laundry...
SimpleMom 03:28 PM 08-02-2009
Thank you for the advice. I used to use movies the last time I had non-nappers. I am going to go back to that. I really want time to rejuvinate and be ready to tackle the last few hours of the day. I found that with that quiet time in mid-day I wasn't close to burning out by Tues. eves.

I am back to about 60 hours a week plus a fairly full house again. I have a few more openings that I need to fill. I just wanted to make sure I am balancing everything out.

Thanks so much!!
melissa ann 08:34 AM 08-03-2009
My 4 yr old doesn't nap. Occasionally she will, if she's tired. But she helps with the dishes, and with the cleaning up. when we are done, she usually sits at the kitchen table and does her leapster, while I crochet or do some other relaxing activity while the children sleep.

I, too, agree that registering should be required to post. Normally, I pay no mind to the "guest" replies because most of them are negative.(against the daycare provider)

For the person who said that they work long hours too. That may be, but we work longer. Ex. parents of the children I watch work 7 -4. But I have the kids from 6-5. The parents work 9 hrs and I work 11.
SimpleMom 02:58 PM 08-03-2009
Gosh, I did the movie thing today and it worked out good. The older children had a chance to rest a bit, the younger ones got their naps in, but I am totally exhausted...still.

I just can't seem to catch up and keep up. I am at about 7 kids per day on most days. It's a lot more work to say the least, but they are great kids. I have one more starting in Sept. and two that go to school in the Fall.

I just wish I could get enough rest or even me time to FEEL rested. I think I am a little overwhelmed. It's been almost a year and a half since I've had this many children (by choice).

I have been working since 6 am and just got done and didn't get any me time as of yet. I worked last night for 2 hours to catch up on paperwork as well. I am not trying to sound ungrateful for the additions. I love the kids and I love what I do. It would be a little easier keeping the numbers around 6, but the pay here won't allow for that if I want to continue in this field.

How do you gals get your quiet time or just plain me time to relax and enjoy a life as well as work? Does anyone else have this dilema? I only added on three children, but it feels like I added on about ten (as far as how much energy I use up in a day)...
Unregistered 04:23 AM 08-04-2009
I agree with you! I have found that 6 is my magic number, once I added even 1 more child, the dynamic in the group subtly changed. With 2 more children, there was a stronger shift, and with 3 more, I had great difficulty in managing. This is why I got an assistant. Not only is she wonderful to the children, she is just a doll and very helpful to me all around. Although I do lose out financially by having to pay her a decent salary ( I do want to keep her here and happy!), I have found that parents feel better knowing that there are 2 of us, and that I am not alone.
ConcernedMotherof2 10:11 AM 08-04-2009
As far as having time to yourself, any working mother goes through this. (did that make sense?) I realize that I do not own a daycare (simply because that line of work is just not something I am cut out for), but I work full time, go to school full time and have two children... Somewhere between bringing home the bacon, cooking it, cleaning it up, my home work and theirs (and lets not forget QUALITY family time), I have to find time to sleep and most days that can be rather difficult. Getting those little angels on a regular napping schedule will definitely do you a world of good. Unfortunately, those of us with experience with children know that there will be days when this just does not happen for you.

On the days that you do not get your much-needed afternoon chill time, is there any way that you can get a half hour in the evening that is all yours? Have hubby take care of your kids (just because you stay home all day doesn't mean that you haven't been working yourself to the point of exhaustion) or send them to Grandma for an evening... And spend that time doing something for yourself--not planning activities for the next day or catching up on paperwork.

I wish you the best of luck.
SimpleMom 11:19 AM 08-04-2009
At this time EVERYONE is resting...aaahhh. Can't tell you what a relief THAT is, nor can I believe it. Yesterday, I worked 6am -5:15pm with not much of a mental or physical break. I can tell you that right after I blogged my last post, I completely crashed on the couch for two straight hours!

My husband had my youngest grocery shopping with him and my parents have my oldest for the week. It did me a lot of good. I can't say I am completely out of the woods in the overwhelmed category, but it's a nice break from it and gave my some more energy for the rest of the day.

To the 'concerned mother of 2'. You do have a lot of work on your shoulders. THank you for sharing your story and for the advice. I used to be a single parent of one and I went to school FT and worked three PT jobs. I know that school, work, and parenting are a lot of work right there. I think the only difference I feel now is the noise level being pretty constant and sometimes very loud. It's like the fingernails on the chalkboard for me after awhile

I started home daycare right after I married, so maybe some of it is the being a wife and mom thing.
tymaboy 12:10 PM 08-04-2009
When I have older children I have quite time for them that they can play or watch a movie but they must be quite, if they are not then I do like Mac06 does & take everything away. At the moment I have all little ones, my oldest is 18 months so I am working on getting all the little ones on the same schedule. Some days are better then others. I personaly do not like taking older children, I find that I enjoy (& have better luck) with the young ones.
SimpleMom 11:50 AM 08-05-2009
Has anyone had a screamer? This little one will screach and scream when she doesn't get their way. They do it until they get their way or in this case until they can calm themselves down enough to get their way. I usually have tried talking first, am calm and use short words to direct them or let them know what the answer is. I've tried redirection to no avail (as of yet).

It may be that she is misunderstood or misunderstanding, but it's definately LOUD and goes on and on. I makes the ears ring. The little one is a year and a half old and is on day three at my facility.

My child is older and just finished a copy-cat routine of this screaming I was getting them ready for rest time. I don't allow my own kids to do that. It's hard and I feel like a big meanie, but I won't let it happen to their benefit. It's harder yet, because I know they just learned it from someone elses child and now I have to discipline my child for the lack of discipline of anothers' child. (I know it's gone the other way where my child has taught another's child something that's not ok to do either.)

I've tried a lot of different things to be proactive or calm them down. It is a little stressful at times for me and for the other children in my care.
Anyway, I would love to see this work out. It's two full-time children and the parents are really nice and willing to work with me on the issue.
ConcernedMotherof2 12:39 PM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
I started home daycare right after I married, so maybe some of it is the being a wife and mom thing.
Hang in there, sunshine, that was my point... the wife and mom thing is *taxing* and when you add to it the constant noise (not just literal noise... constant motion and so forth) of multiple "other people's children," you can get bogged down. Was just trying to commiserate with you, as there are a lot of similarities between being a working parent and being a working parent who's occupation happens to be running a daycare. I guess I was frustrated from reading some of the other posts in other threads and got to thinking maybe I could, somehow, bridge the gap that seems to be there? Apparently, this is *not* the place.

I am glad to see things are going well for you at rest time and that you're actually getting some rest! Best of luck to you
Unregistered 01:48 PM 08-07-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
Has anyone had a screamer? This little one will screach and scream when she doesn't get their way. They do it until they get their way or in this case until they can calm themselves down enough to get their way. I usually have tried talking first, am calm and use short words to direct them or let them know what the answer is. I've tried redirection to no avail (as of yet).

It may be that she is misunderstood or misunderstanding, but it's definately LOUD and goes on and on. I makes the ears ring. The little one is a year and a half old and is on day three at my facility.

My child is older and just finished a copy-cat routine of this screaming I was getting them ready for rest time. I don't allow my own kids to do that. It's hard and I feel like a big meanie, but I won't let it happen to their benefit. It's harder yet, because I know they just learned it from someone elses child and now I have to discipline my child for the lack of discipline of anothers' child. (I know it's gone the other way where my child has taught another's child something that's not ok to do either.)

I've tried a lot of different things to be proactive or calm them down. It is a little stressful at times for me and for the other children in my care.
Anyway, I would love to see this work out. It's two full-time children and the parents are really nice and willing to work with me on the issue.
I'm right there with ya!! When my lil 2.5 yr old just screams and throws a fit, I just make her sit on the couch until she's done. Then I talk to her about that we use nice words and we don't scream at people to get our way, that isn't nice. It's exhausting!

How long do ya'll have nap time for?
SimpleMom 05:33 AM 08-10-2009
The nap time is allotted from 1:00-3:00. Usually, the children sleep (when they sleep) for about 1-2 hours.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:53 AM 08-10-2009
our nap is from 12 - 2 and they all sleep. Even the older ones. My own 11 and 8 yr olds, and the dog as well. We start early here,.. Im up at 4 kids start coming at 5 and everyone is up and moving by 530. I work 5a to 6 p. By 11 lunch is a calm relaxed heaven and by nap they are all exhausted, full and sleepy. I do turn on BORING TV,.. the green channel (recycling), HGTV, the science channel,.. lol. something learning,.. but boring and thats whats on during nap. The older ones can watch that or sleep, but I do not turn on cartoons for the children. That is a special cartoon treat saved for our once a month cartoon time. I suppose some may say thats mean but I dont consider the tv a daycare item. We dont watch videos, or cartoons,.. I did tape a special on Disney world for a child who was going once,.. and we do watch if there is something corresponding to our preschool lesson on a channel but not"kids programming". My parents know this and they also know I require a rest time each day. But I also have had the same routine, every day for 19 years.
mac60 05:01 PM 08-14-2009
Laundryduchess....you hit it when you said having the same routine everyday, for 19 years. That is definately the key. Routine routine routine, makes for a much better day for everyone.
AmandasFCC 12:34 PM 08-24-2009
I've finally just decided last week that not insisting on nap or laydown time is not conducive to my environmeny. I have 2 babies here, a 2, 3, and 4 year old. When the babies are napping, before it would be just WAY too loud, no matter how hard I tried to get the kids to play quietly, they would start wrestling or hitting each other or otherwise making noise. So enough is enough. Now they lay down, whether or not they sleep is up to them, but they have to lie down at least until the babies wake up. It was suggested to me to use TV as well, and I found that yes, they would be quiet for a little while, but I don't agree with TV being used as a crutch in daycare either. Then the kids get used to it, expect it, and throw fits when it gets shut off! not good lol
Unregistered 06:52 PM 09-01-2009
Of course there's always the problem of the nappers finding out that the non-nappers are watching TV during nap time - now there's NO nappers because they all want their TV fix.....tee hee - it never ends!
Tags:nap time, non-nappers, won't sleep
Reply Up