Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents and Doctors
Baby Beluga 03:59 PM 02-16-2016
Why are parents so put off by having to take their children to the doctor?

I have two children in my care who have wet coughs.

Child A has had the cough for 6 days now (including weekend). Cough sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. When DCK's nose is blown, her chest rattles but nothing comes out. Told DCP that if cough is still present at the end of the week I will be requiring a doctor note before DCK returns. Dad says "well we took DCK to the doc about a week and a half ago and she was cleared for strep." Well, that's great. But she is still coughing. I am not a doctor and neither are you. Take your kid to the doc.

Child B: Noticed cough yesterday. Was worse today. Cough also sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. Child has also been snoring the past few days during nap time. Mentioned cough to DCP at pick up. DCP says "oh yeah, I noticed that too. DCK seems to cough when waking up too." I mention that perhaps a doctor visit is in order and DCP says he can't take DCK tonight because "it's just him and the kids." (btw, at no point in time did I say go today or I will need a note tomorrow. I mentioned going to the doc because your child is presenting abnormal symptoms and neither myself nor the DCP's are doctors..)

Both parents said "well, maybe it's allergies..."

I live in the SW. It is warm and everything is already in bloom so it is possible that it's allergies. But guess what - they make allergy medicine for kids!! Take your child to a doctor, confirm that it is allergies and give them an allergy medicine. But don't let them just cough all day and night. How fair is that to the kids?
Thriftylady 04:28 PM 02-16-2016
I agree with you it isn't fair to the kiddos, and even if it is allergies they should be seen. I have to wonder though if the cost of going to the doctor is the issue. Our copay to our regular family doctor is $40, and sometimes that is a problem for us. It isn't so bad for say a 3 or 6 month check of medications that I know is coming. Some weeks it is an issue if something else pops up. Like when I had another bout with what I know now is eczema, and had 5 visits in a little over a month.

Either way that doesn't make it right, you gotta do what you gotta do for your kids. Just wondering is all.
midaycare 06:15 PM 02-16-2016
My dcf's are the opposite. They take the kids when they don't need to go. One single cough and it's doctor time!
Leigh 07:22 PM 02-16-2016
I have a little boy who is on Medicaid-I've told both of his parents for months that he needs to be seen. He appears to have a nasty sinus infection. He's been coughing for 2-3 months and has scratches all around his eyes (he digs on them in his sleep). Runny nose off and on for a while, but the cough never goes away. He LOOKS like he has sinus infection (redness around the eyes, puffy). I just don't get why a parent won't take their kid in for a FREE appointment to help them feel better!
lovemydaycare0912 07:58 PM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have a little boy who is on Medicaid-I've told both of his parents for months that he needs to be seen. He appears to have a nasty sinus infection. He's been coughing for 2-3 months and has scratches all around his eyes (he digs on them in his sleep). Runny nose off and on for a while, but the cough never goes away. He LOOKS like he has sinus infection (redness around the eyes, puffy). I just don't get why a parent won't take their kid in for a FREE appointment to help them feel better!
smh pure laziness
Thriftylady 05:01 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
In that case where it has been months, especially when you know they have good medical coverage, I may have to consider making a call for neglect.
Blackcat31 05:25 AM 02-17-2016
I think I have parents that are both. Some see the Dr for everything while others rarely even mention the word Dr when discussing anything medical.

I guess I don't pay too much attention to it as I have my own method of addressing illness so their general parenting choices/approaches in this subject have no bearing on my policies.

For example, if I have a child that has a cold that over the following few days gets worse and begins to effect their day at daycare, I will send them home but I send them home WITH a medical statement.

They cannot return to care without the completed form.
Form must be completed by an actual Dr.

Rinse and repeat.

It solves any issues for me in cases where a parent maybe wouldn't bring them into the clinic and it eliminates the "hinting" game that a lot of providers do when they want a child to be seen by a Dr.
Baby Beluga 05:31 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with you it isn't fair to the kiddos, and even if it is allergies they should be seen. I have to wonder though if the cost of going to the doctor is the issue. Our copay to our regular family doctor is $40, and sometimes that is a problem for us. It isn't so bad for say a 3 or 6 month check of medications that I know is coming. Some weeks it is an issue if something else pops up. Like when I had another bout with what I know now is eczema, and had 5 visits in a little over a month.

Either way that doesn't make it right, you gotta do what you gotta do for your kids. Just wondering is all.
It's a good point to ponder. Without going into details, I know that both of these families are very well off.
Cat Herder 05:49 AM 02-17-2016
I have to put off going to the doctor, myself, because I have private insurance. In order to keep my family plan affordable I had to raise my deductible to the point I really can't afford to go unless I truly cannot function.

I also had to drop my prescription med last year. Hopefully I can continue to manage my condition by diet and avoiding heat/stress.

My friends and family think I am well off.
Thriftylady 05:59 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
It's a good point to ponder. Without going into details, I know that both of these families are very well off.
I have known some people who seem well off but aren't. Sometimes the people who are (or should be) well off are the worst with their money. I remember my DD a couple of years ago saying "they must have a lot of money" about a neighbor family. I told her "no they have a lot of debt". These were the people who go all out for every birthday party for the kids, I know the oldest has three different gaming systems in his room (DD has been there they are loose knit friends), get new vehicles every three or four years, the whole nine yards. While they do make good money, I know they are living above their means.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 02-17-2016
In my experience, those that "appear" to be well off are the ones that have crappy or little to no insurance.

The ones that are low income get fantastic coverage.

In my state there are tons of free or rapid clinics that see children for little or next to nothing because they are kids.
Thriftylady 06:06 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my experience, those that "appear" to be well off are the ones that have crappy or little to no insurance.

In my state there are tons of free or rapid clinics that see children for little or next to nothing because they are kids.
That depends. We are low income, DD still get medicaid. But DH and I don't qualify. DD has great coverage. DH and I not so much. We have high co pays, and have to pay for all labs and such at 100% until we each hit our $5000 deductible. Hopefully we won't touch that. The new structure with the government, if you can't afford much you are almost paying for nothing. We used to have a free clinic in our area, but it was hard to get into you had to wait outside in a line for hours some days. But they closed it down when Obamacare passed, because they said since everyone is insured now it was no longer needed.
Baby Beluga 06:06 AM 02-17-2016
I think I have parents that are both. Some see the Dr for everything while others rarely even mention the word Dr when discussing anything medical.

I guess I don't pay too much attention to it as I have my own method of addressing illness so their general parenting choices/approaches in this subject have no bearing on my policies.

For example, if I have a child that has a cold that over the following few days gets worse and begins to effect their day at daycare, I will send them home but I send them home WITH a medical statement.

They cannot return to care without the completed form.
Form must be completed by an actual Dr.

Rinse and repeat.

It solves any issues for me in cases where a parent maybe wouldn't bring them into the clinic and it eliminates the "hinting" game that a lot of providers do when they want a child to be seen by a Dr.
Would you mind PM'ing me this form please?

I have in my illness policy that after 5 days of coughing children will be excluded until seen by their doctor and can return when a diagnoses and treatment plan is in place.

I do understand children get allergies and allergies here can get bad. BUT I know from experience that when you "get" allergies here they make you feel like you have the flu. I also know from experience that allergies can cause sinus and other infections. I however am not a doc, nor do I claim to be one But since I spend 10 hours a day with these children, I know what is normal for here at least and what is not. I don't think parents always realize that.
Thriftylady 06:08 AM 02-17-2016

I have in my illness policy that after 5 days of coughing children will be excluded until seen by their doctor and can return when a diagnoses and treatment plan is in place.

I do understand children get allergies and allergies here can get bad. BUT I know from experience that when you "get" allergies here they make you feel like you have the flu. I also know from experience that allergies can cause sinus and other infections. I however am not a doc, nor do I claim to be one But since I spend 10 hours a day with these children, I know what is normal for here at least and what is not. I don't think parents always realize that.
DD and I both suffer from severe allergies. You are right, it can cause things like ear infections and such. When it gets bad and our normal stuff isn't working (DD is on one OTC med and one prescription med), we go to the doctor. There is so much they can do now.
Ariana 06:08 AM 02-17-2016
I'm in Canada so it's 'free' for everyone and we still get this behavior. I am like BlackCat in that I exclude for symptoms and a wet cough that is keeping them awake is grounds for exclusion. i also don't allow back until a note from the DR confirms it is not contagious and is being treated.

I have a dcg who is constantly stuffed up. Doesn't breath out of her nose at all. Unfortunately none of this is in my contract as an exclusion and she functions fine with the stuffiness. I have mentioned it to mom several times but I am always met with the classic blank stare.
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
That depends. We are low income, DD still get medicaid. But DH and I don't qualify. DD has great coverage. DH and I not so much. We have high co pays, and have to pay for all labs and such at 100% until we each hit our $5000 deductible. Hopefully we won't touch that. The new structure with the government, if you can't afford much you are almost paying for nothing. We used to have a free clinic in our area, but it was hard to get into you had to wait outside in a line for hours some days. But they closed it down when Obamacare passed, because they said since everyone is insured now it was no longer needed.
OP isn't asking the parents to see a Dr.

She's wanting the kid(s) to be seen.

What you explained... IS my point.... parents may not have the best coverage but kids usually always have options.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 02-17-2016

Absolutely! They are VERY clear and explain EXACTLY what needs to be done BEFORE being readmitted to care.

I will go PM them to you now.
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 02-17-2016
I wish we had that here. Those clinics turn parents/patients with insurance away here.

The ones who still take insurance are often "not currently accepting new patients" or have a two-six month wait for appointments. When your date rolls around, they cancel due to a "scheduling error".

Sick care? Forgetaboutit..... "Maybe you should just go to the ER, Ma'am" We have mostly satellite offices here. Great for their tax write offs, but not their priority...

The health department used to be great about cash service, but even that has changed.
Cat Herder 06:22 AM 02-17-2016
OP, I bet if you simply exclude for symptoms and tell them that you need a doctors note on all productive coughs, they will find a way.
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I wish we had that here. Those clinics turn parents/patients with insurance away here.

The ones who still take insurance are often "not currently accepting new patients" or have a two-six month wait for appointments. When your date rolls around, they cancel due to a "scheduling error".

Sick care? Forgetaboutit..... "Maybe you should just go to the ER, Ma'am" We have mostly satellite offices here. Great for their tax write offs, but not their priority...

The health department used to be great about cash service, but even that has changed.
My state is pretty well known as a VERY "helpful"-type state.

People move here because of the number of "helpful programs available.

i.e. I can tell you some stories of the "help" available here that would seriously make you cringe.
Thriftylady 06:31 AM 02-17-2016

i.e. I can tell you some stories of the "help" available here that would seriously make you cringe.
Yeah ours isn't helpful either. And many of our programs that used to help low income people, now require insurance. And I know people that don't have it, they still can't afford it. The whole insurance thing is a huge mess. Kids here in Ohio have a higher rate and can get medicaid, but that doesn't stop people over that limit from not getting insurance. And they will send you to the ER here also, which most insurance doesn't cover unless you are actually admitted. But I guess my point is, that if it is me, I may suffer for awhile. But when it is my child, I will make a way. KWIM?
Cat Herder 06:32 AM 02-17-2016

I don't doubt that. Here, the more you work the less the help.

I remember the CDC having pamphlets available for free to childcare providers to handout to parents that had a flowchart of WHEN to take your child to the doctor. I just searched my pdf's and I lost it. I don't have time to search their endless site right now.

Do you have one? It may help everyone.

I think it was published 2012 or so... during the SARS scare, Bird flu, Swine flu or Unicorn dust crisis grant period It was awesome though.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't doubt that. Here, the more you work the less the help.

I remember the CDC having pamphlets available for free to childcare providers to handout to parents that had a flowchart of WHEN to take your child to the doctor. I just searched my pdf's and I lost it. I don't have time to search their endless site right now.

Do you have one? It may help everyone.

I think it was published 2012 or so... during the SARS scare, Bird flu, Swine flu or Unicorn dust crisis grant period It was awesome though.
CDC free downloadable flyers for parents/providers about pretty much everything... lol! LOTS of great info available for downloading though!!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/d...ds.html#Flyers
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 02-17-2016
Here is the comparison chart too so parents/providers can see the difference between a common cold or the flu

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/symptoms.htm

I had a handy little printable chart but have no clue where it is. Well I know where it is but dont know how its filed so I'll probably never find it.
Cat Herder 06:59 AM 02-17-2016
Thanks! I am horrible at adding links.

If not for the facebook share button, my clients would rarely get anything digital from me.
LysesKids 07:54 AM 02-17-2016

See in Tennessee the state didn't expand the Medicaid under Obamacare; I'm still not covered @ won't be until age 60 - Why? because my income after taxes showed I was so poor that the waiver kicked in; I can't even afford the lowest plan offered without literally starving or not paying bills. So yeah, low income doesn't mean good insurance.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See in Tennessee the state didn't expand the Medicaid under Obamacare; I'm still not covered @ won't be until age 60 - Why? because my income after taxes showed I was so poor that the waiver kicked in; I can't even afford the lowest plan offered without literally starving or not paying bills. So yeah, low income doesn't mean good insurance.
I will clarify again, I am speaking about my state.
I know NOTHING about coverage options in other states and I am/was mostly referring to options/coverage for children.

I know NOTHING about coverage for adults under medicaid or Obamacare.....other than the "scam" going on for those over 55 again in MY state.

I am sorry there are so many of you that have trouble accessing good medical care. In today's day, medical coverage shouldn't be something anyone struggles to get/receive.
childcaremom 08:53 AM 02-17-2016
Why are parents so put off by having to take their children to the doctor?

I have two children in my care who have wet coughs.

Child A has had the cough for 6 days now (including weekend). Cough sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. When DCK's nose is blown, her chest rattles but nothing comes out. Told DCP that if cough is still present at the end of the week I will be requiring a doctor note before DCK returns. Dad says "well we took DCK to the doc about a week and a half ago and she was cleared for strep." Well, that's great. But she is still coughing. I am not a doctor and neither are you. Take your kid to the doc.

Child B: Noticed cough yesterday. Was worse today. Cough also sounds wet and chesty and is disrupting child's nap time here. Child has also been snoring the past few days during nap time. Mentioned cough to DCP at pick up. DCP says "oh yeah, I noticed that too. DCK seems to cough when waking up too." I mention that perhaps a doctor visit is in order and DCP says he can't take DCK tonight because "it's just him and the kids." (btw, at no point in time did I say go today or I will need a note tomorrow. I mentioned going to the doc because your child is presenting abnormal symptoms and neither myself nor the DCP's are doctors..)

Both parents said "well, maybe it's allergies..."

I live in the SW. It is warm and everything is already in bloom so it is possible that it's allergies. But guess what - they make allergy medicine for kids!! Take your child to a doctor, confirm that it is allergies and give them an allergy medicine. But don't let them just cough all day and night. How fair is that to the kids?
I am in Canada, as well. It costs nothing but time to take your child to the doctor so I still see this occasionally. I just continue to exclude and will suggest a doctor's visit to rule anything serious out.

If it ever got to a point where I was concerned for the child's wellbeing, I would do as others have suggested and require a doctor's note. I have it in my policies that from time to time I may require a doctor's note.
LysesKids 09:58 AM 02-17-2016
I will clarify again, I am speaking about my state.
I know NOTHING about coverage options in other states and I am/was mostly referring to options/coverage for children.

I know NOTHING about coverage for adults under medicaid or Obamacare.....other than the "scam" going on for those over 55 again in MY state.

I am sorry there are so many of you that have trouble accessing good medical care. In today's day, medical coverage shouldn't be something anyone struggles to get/receive.
I understood that... Some states have crap coverage for kids too unfortunantly
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 02-17-2016
I understood that... Some states have crap coverage for kids too unfortunantly
That breaks my heart.

One would think that living in the "most" powerful country in the world that basic medical coverage for our youngest generation would be a focus of importance.

Im sorry if my post sounded snarky to you... I am apparently being misunderstood all over the board today so again, I apologize if I sounded 'snarky" in ANY way!

I am sooooo not feeling snarky today!
Annalee 10:09 AM 02-17-2016
I am in Tennessee and we just received a form to present when we have our taxes done as proof of insurance. There is a large penalty for persons that do not have insurance...I think the penalty is like $695. I understand the insurance debate because one of my brothers has a heart condition and has struggled to get insurance .......but it doesn't stop him from having to pay the penalty...
Annalee 10:12 AM 02-17-2016
That breaks my heart.

One would think that living in the "most" powerful country in the world that basic medical coverage for our youngest generation would be a focus of importance.

Im sorry if my post sounded snarky to you... I am apparently being misunderstood all over the board today so again, I apologize if I sounded 'snarky" in ANY way!

I am sooooo not feeling snarky today!
Most kids I know in my area of the state have some form of insurance or can go to the health dept. Many pharmacies here even offer immunizations for a small price as well. You are right, you would think ALL CHILDREN would be covered!
Thriftylady 12:41 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Most kids I know in my area of the state have some form of insurance or can go to the health dept. Many pharmacies here even offer immunizations for a small price as well. You are right, you would think ALL CHILDREN would be covered!
I agree that they should, but it depends where you live. I was worried this year that DD would loose hers, because if we make another $400 or so a year, she will loose it. We barely qualify. Not sure how much it would cost to add her to the plan DH and I have, but that isn't even the thing. The thing is she would loose nearly all her coverage. Our plan covers next to nothing until we pay out the high deductible. And it doesn't cover dental or vision. So it always makes me wonder if parents just can't afford a doctor. I know two of my kids right now have no coverage. They are just above the cut off. Mom having just got her job in Jan is hoping she can afford what her job offers for the family now. The whole insurance thing is just a mess.

ETA: Our health Dept doesn't do any medical but they are the only place to get immunizations unless you want to pay full price. They do a sliding scale fee for them. The doctors offices won't even do them for those with insurance, because even the best plans here only pay $10 per shot according to our doctor. Many doctors here won't even stock them. You can get the flu shot at the pharmacy and a couple of others though.
Tags:neglect, parents - are clueless, parents - neglect kids
Reply Up