Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Pests That Can Cost You A Bundle
PitterPatter 06:14 PM 09-13-2011
After seeing NannyD mention this is a previous thread it made me start thinking. Do any of you have a policy on things like fleas, bedbugs, roaches etc? Lice would certainly come to daycare on the child (already covered in my handbook) but the others may not if we are lucky. I would like to put a policy in but I don't even know what to say or how to approach it. I don't think the usual client would even admit an infestation of any kind BUT if they do what would you do differently if anything.

Like if they bring diaper bags on a daily basis would you tell them it is no longer permitted and the diapers and wipes must be kept at daycare?

How far would you go if any?
Michelle 06:47 PM 09-13-2011
I had a parent that had roaches so bad at her house that she said she had to turn the knob and kick the door open on her front door before coming in or they would land on their heads. They had them in the fridge,dressers, everywhere!
I had this family for years and I loved them so I just told them they had to buy the diapers from the store and bring them straight to my house.
No bags, no anything from their house. As far as extra clothes, they brought them straight here from the laundromat.
I never got a single bug in my house, but boy was I nervous.
sharlan 06:53 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I had a parent that had roaches so bad at her house that she said she had to turn the knob and kick the door open on her front door before coming in or they would land on their heads. They had them in the fridge,dressers, everywhere!
I had this family for years and I loved them so I just told them they had to buy the diapers from the store and bring them straight to my house.
No bags, no anything from their house. As far as extra clothes, they brought them straight here from the laundromat.
That is one bug that really gives me the creeps. I would have had them give me the money and bought the diapers myself. I would not have allowed anything from home.
morgan24 03:24 AM 09-14-2011
I wish I would of had a policy. I had one dcg last school year. She start back the day after Labor Day and was covered in flea bites. Her cat had them pretty bad. She must of brought a live flea on her. I found a flea on my dog a few days after she started back, didn't think to much of it. A few days later my dog had a couple more. My dog ended up allergic to fleas and just the few that she had made her itch her self raw. I had to get a pill for her that killed the flea when it bit her and she ended up with a steroid shot to relieve the itching. It was quite costly in the end and the shot made her hungry so she gained a few pounds.
mom2many 08:12 AM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Yikes! I have never ever had this problem, but if I had a situation like this, I would definitely implement some changes and do exactly as you had done!
Tags:pests, policy, supplies
Reply Up