Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Logged Out, What Do You Do
Unregistered 11:36 AM 09-20-2011
Logged out for privacy.

I am having a great time being a SAHM and having a daycare. But, nap time is awful. I have a 1 yo and a 2 yo who wont sleep and I have tried everything including talking to the parents.

When you have a child who wont sleep do you..
a) just let them be awake and play in the play area
b) cry in their pack n play
c) terminate
D) any thing else I havent thought of???

I dont know which one is the right answer. I now I am not the only one who has ever had children that just wont sleep!!!

So what do you do?
PitterPatter 11:52 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logged out for privacy.

I am having a great time being a SAHM and having a daycare. But, nap time is awful. I have a 1 yo and a 2 yo who wont sleep and I have tried everything including talking to the parents.

When you have a child who wont sleep do you..
a) just let them be awake and play in the play area
b) cry in their pack n play
c) terminate
D) any thing else I havent thought of???

I dont know which one is the right answer. I now I am not the only one who has ever had children that just wont sleep!!!

So what do you do?
Been there. In my experience it was because the children had NO schedule what so ever at home. How long have the kids been in your care? Have you tired white noise? Laying down beside them to help soothe them? Music maybe? It took a month to get mine on track. 1st was being stern letting them know it was nap time and they had to lie down. Once they accepted that then I tried the previous ideas I mentioned. Usually lying beside them will help. Maybe brush the hair behind the ear, rub their back etc. I wouldn't term over it. I also am not a fan of letting them cry it out at that age (or any age for that matter I'm a softie) Perhaps allowing a small stuffed animal to help comfort them.

Sometimes kids just dont get tired enough. Maybe have more active play before nap to wear them out. Another problem may be the parents putting them to bed really early so they have too much sleep. I have had that problem as well.

I hope maybe I have given an idea or 2 that may help. Good luck to you!
cheerfuldom 05:12 PM 09-20-2011
I let them CIO. It has worked for every kid that I have had that is here consistently (part timers are tough!). I feel fine doing that with a 1 and 2 year old. Eventually they start napping or they just roll around/babble/play in their pack n play which is fine too. Usually takes 1 or 2 weeks of consistency to see progress. I do darkened rooms, lovey items if they have them, white noise. I tuck them in and thats it until nap time is over. The only exception is if I smell a dirty diaper (then change and back to bed) or if something crazy happens like the 2 year old that poo'ed in the pack n play this week (after pulling her pants off!) I do peek in on them but nothing else is offered as far as rocking or laying down with them or anything.
Meyou 03:38 AM 09-21-2011
I let them cry it out. They are too small to go without naps so they need to learn to nap here.
Tags:part time care, won't sleep
Reply Up