Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Say Something?
justgettingstarted 12:41 PM 02-27-2013
DS started preschool at a small center about 6 weeks ago. DH drops him off in the mornings. We've been having trouble with potty training at the school and decided to bring his little potty in last week. DH asked the teacher that was out front if he should just put it in the bathroom and she said yes and told him where. He wasnt really thinking and just wandered back to the bathroom and was surprised when he saw a couple little girls on the toilets. He quickly put down the potty and left feeling very awkward and a little ticked that the teacher told him to go back there unsupervised. Obviously he isnt a child molester or anything but felt very uncomfortable about it and now we both feel uncomfortable that the school doesnt seem to have a policy to escort parents in the school. Its not something we thought about until now. I would not let a parent enter my bathroom alone if others kids were in there but Ive never dealt with a center and dont know if this is a big deal. Would you say something to the director, sort of a heads up that this happened and that we're uncomfortable that there is no policy?
Reply
butterfly 12:50 PM 02-27-2013
If you feel uncomfortable about it, I'd say something to the director. I personally don't feel it's that great of an issue. I do understand where you are coming from and your concern, but I probably would have never gone that direction with my thoughts as a provider or a parent.
Reply
DaisyMamma 12:51 PM 02-27-2013
It kind of sounds like the person who told him to go put it in the bathroom didn't know there were children in there.
Reply
Cat Herder 12:55 PM 02-27-2013
The "teacher" at the front desk most likely expected that your husband would have entered the classroom and made contact with an adult before entering the restroom.

Was there no "teacher" in the classroom where the girls were in the restroom?

THAT would have been the issue for me, personally.
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 01:10 PM 02-27-2013
I don't let parents enter ANY room where children might be without me there as well. I would definitely not allow them to go in the restroom. I would put the potty there myself. But, I don't even go into the restroom with the potty trained children! They do their business privately.

I would say something.
Reply
justgettingstarted 02:47 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The "teacher" at the front desk most likely expected that your husband would have entered the classroom and made contact with an adult before entering the restroom.

Was there no "teacher" in the classroom where the girls were in the restroom?

THAT would have been the issue for me, personally.
Theres one big bathroom for the whole center, its isnt in a classroom. So he did check with the teacher outside before entering.
Reply
snbauser 02:52 PM 02-27-2013
I would say something. It may be that it is something they hadn't thought of but even so, it is a safety issue.
Reply
justgettingstarted 02:55 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If you feel uncomfortable about it, I'd say something to the director. I personally don't feel it's that great of an issue. I do understand where you are coming from and your concern, but I probably would have never gone that direction with my thoughts as a provider or a parent.
I agree that it isnt that big of an issue because MY DH was the one entering the bathroom. But I dont know any of the other parents or family members that are coming and going everyday apparently totally unsupervised. I just find it hard to believe that they would allow a parent to enter an area alone with others kids where they are undressing completely unsupervised. They are so strict about checking IDs at the door, signing in and out, calling for a tiny bump or bruise.
Reply
justgettingstarted 02:57 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I would say something. It may be that it is something they hadn't thought of but even so, it is a safety issue.
Thank you, this is what I was thinking, not complaining but maybe suggesting they look at their policies and talk to staff.
Reply
Tags:potty training, toilet policy
Reply Up