Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop-in Care
TwinKristi 08:31 AM 10-29-2013
How many of you offer drop in care and how do you handle it? I posted an ad on the local Mother's Club and someone with twins (not sure of age but under 5 for sure) is moving and looking for someone to watch her twins while they move. I have taken other kids on a drop-in basis as a backup for another provider but this seems like a one-time thing. I typically charge more for drop-in because I can't really claim them on the food program for 1 day only and never again. All the paperwork they need and immunization records for 2 babies just for 1 day? Ugh... I'll do it because I have the openings, and it would be silly to advertise and then turn people away but I just was wondering how you all do it? I'm going to double check my contract and see what I have for drop-in care and offer a slight sibling discount.
Reply
butterfly 09:18 AM 10-29-2013
I would handle this exactly like a drop in. I still have them fill out the food program enrollment form- for all drop ins, even just a 1 day drop in and then claim them! I don't have to have immunizations for drop in clients, because licensing realizes this is more of an "emergency" type situation.

I require all other paperwork completed - just like full time clients - except for immunizations. I've had many, many clients who started as drop in only turn into full time clients later on, and it was just easier that they had all my handbook info and I had all their contact info, etc.
Reply
TwinKristi 12:10 PM 10-29-2013
So I talked to mom this morning and she just left after picking up my forms. I would love for it to turn into something more! I love twins!!
Reply
melilley 12:16 PM 10-29-2013
Currently I only do drop in for my current part time families. For me to provide care I would have to fill out all the paperwork for the state, give them a licensing handbook, discipline policy, etc... (to do it legally anyways) and everything so it's not worth it for me.

Twins would me neat though!
Reply
Tdhmom 12:33 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Currently I only do drop in for my current part time families. For me to provide care I would have to fill out all the paperwork for the state, give them a licensing handbook, discipline policy, etc... (to do it legally anyways) and everything so it's not worth it for me.

Twins would me neat though!
I have 2 sets of twins that I watch....just turned 3 and almost 5. If one of them is in a good mood, the other one won't be. If one of them likes the food, the other one won't. But they do stick up for each other better than just siblings. You can tell they have a special bond so with that it's pretty neat...everything else...ugh that's about the only word I have for it today lol
Reply
Unregistered 12:14 AM 10-30-2013
I do drop in care for current or past families only. This is a premium $ as I charge per hour with a 4hr minimum. I don't offer sibling discounts. I'm in the bay, just across the bridge and my drop in rate is $12/hr, after 4hrs it's a daily drop in rate of $85/day.
Reply
Laurel 04:08 AM 10-30-2013
I only do it for current siblings or past clients whose children have outgrown my program on a per child basis. In other words, if an older child is a behavior problem (and one was) then I just won't watch them. I try not to watch school aged children anymore but used to do it all the time (as drop in's or for the summer). It is a rare thing for the right child now.

I also do it for my provider friend as a back up situation but that is also rare.

Once I met someone at the bowling alley and watched his granddaughter here and there for a few months. Mostly it is families I already know though.

I charge a higher daily rate and collect it on the morning they come.

Laurel
Reply
BrooklynM 10:30 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
How many of you offer drop in care and how do you handle it? I posted an ad on the local Mother's Club and someone with twins (not sure of age but under 5 for sure) is moving and looking for someone to watch her twins while they move. I have taken other kids on a drop-in basis as a backup for another provider but this seems like a one-time thing. I typically charge more for drop-in because I can't really claim them on the food program for 1 day only and never again. All the paperwork they need and immunization records for 2 babies just for 1 day? Ugh... I'll do it because I have the openings, and it would be silly to advertise and then turn people away but I just was wondering how you all do it? I'm going to double check my contract and see what I have for drop-in care and offer a slight sibling discount.
That sounds like a great idea. Because of the paperwork and stuff I would probably still charge $10 an hour. That's how much my 14 year old daughter makes when she goes to people's homes to babysit! I was thinking about doing this same thing. I go once a month to a cocktail club. It's really just a mom's group that goes out to have a drink. We usually have close to 20 ladies that go, and there are now over 80 ladies on the invite, so I could easily advertise a drop in service! I was thinking about offering date nights and even the day after Thanksgiving care when other providers will be closed!
Reply
MarinaVanessa 11:26 AM 10-30-2013
I handle drop ins like any other client because in my state I'm required to get all of the same paperwork for a child that is with me for 5 years or 1 day. They sign a contract too. You should check with licensing of you are licensed or registered to see what the requirements are in your state. For some reason it's always the day that you cut corners that licensing decides to show up for an inspection
Reply
TwinKristi 11:28 AM 10-30-2013
Yeah I didn't end up offering a discount since really, it's just one day LOL They're here now and super easy babies. They play wonderfully, they are happy and went down for naps after only about 10 mins of on and off fussing. So I'll make a quick $80 and make a new contact and referral person! I will give her some business cards when she picks up today.
Reply
BrooklynM 11:28 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do drop in care for current or past families only. This is a premium $ as I charge per hour with a 4hr minimum. I don't offer sibling discounts. I'm in the bay, just across the bridge and my drop in rate is $12/hr, after 4hrs it's a daily drop in rate of $85/day.
I'm in the bay too- East bay. I think you are right on target with those rates. I think I will use those rates too
Reply
TwinKristi 11:31 AM 10-30-2013
Also, I have twins too who are 16 now but I just adore twins! I would have loved having another set! Having them in daycare is just awesome! I'm sure daycare for 2 infants is hard to find since there is such a limit on twins, basically it would take up your 2 infant spots if you have mixed ages or at least 2 of the 3 if you do 6 kids.
Reply
Tags:drop in care, food program
Reply Up