Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Let Parents Send Potty Training Kids In Underwear?
Lorna 05:25 PM 11-16-2014
Just curious with what others are doing. So far I've told parents the kids need to be peeing on the toilet before they come in underwear. Do you ask that the child go so many days without a wet pullup before they come in underwear? I know that I don't have time during the day to be cleaning up accidents. And I know what they do at home isn't always what they do at daycare. So what do you all do. I have several children toilet training now. It just a matter of weeks or months before they are fully trained.

Thanks
Reply
Unregistered 05:35 PM 11-16-2014
Kids can come in underwear when they go a week without accidents and show that they will ask when they need to go.
Reply
Lorna 05:41 PM 11-16-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Kids can come in underwear when they go a week without accidents and show that they will ask when they need to go.
A week at daycare with no accidents?
Reply
Patches 05:41 PM 11-16-2014
Two weeks accident free before they can come in underwear here
Reply
Meeko 06:26 PM 11-16-2014
Two weeks clean and dry WITHOUT being prompted by me. When they are telling me they need to go and are doing it unaided, I consider them potty trained.

I have this outlined in my handbook, but of course I still get parents who think one pee in the potty after sitting there for 30 minutes means their child is potty trained and should come in undies.......
Reply
NeedaVaca 06:27 PM 11-16-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
Two weeks accident free before they can come in underwear here
Same here (2 weeks) but I don't count naps. Some kids need pullups during nap even though they are potty trained. From what I have read on here 2 weeks is pretty standard.
Reply
Lorna 07:11 PM 11-16-2014
I'll have to write out a policy for this. I hadn't covered it in my handbook. The mom thinks that having the pullup on she will just pee in it. I told her I would try tomorrow but if she has an accident I have to put her in a pullup.

Do you agree with having a pullup on that she will just pee in it? I don't know.
Reply
jenboo 07:15 PM 11-16-2014
Originally Posted by Lorna:
I'll have to write out a policy for this. I hadn't covered it in my handbook. The mom thinks that having the pullup on she will just pee in it. I told her I would try tomorrow but if she has an accident I have to put her in a pullup.

Do you agree with having a pullup on that she will just pee in it? I don't know.
I have one child that will do this. You put underware on him and he won't have any accidents and will tell you when he has to go every time. You put a diaper/pull up on him and he will pee in it all day
Reply
ColorfulSunburst 09:48 PM 11-16-2014
I just start potty training by stopping use diapers and starting use underwear. The parents do same home. The first week - 2 accidents, the second week - 1 accident, the third week - no accident here. A boy is 2.3 y.o.
Another boy (same age) had 1 accident during a first week and no accident during next two weeks.
Tomorrow 3 y.o. boy will come without diapers.
During nap time all of them are wearing diapers. Most of the times they are dry.
Children are wearing long thick pants. Even if they have an accident - my floor and area rugs are dry.
Now I need to change diapers only for 20 m.o. boy.
One 3 y.o. is completely trained. 3 others boy go to potty all together after my words "it's time to pee".
I forget about changing diapers
If I would wait when parents start potty training and when children would have 2 weeks without an accident here I would change diapers at least 6 months more. I'm lazy to do that
Reply
Cradle2crayons 10:01 PM 11-16-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Two weeks clean and dry WITHOUT being prompted by me. When they are telling me they need to go and are doing it unaided, I consider them potty trained.

I have this outlined in my handbook, but of course I still get parents who think one pee in the potty after sitting there for 30 minutes means their child is potty trained and should come in undies.......
same here. I don't do pull ups... I don't do undies over pull ups... I don't do the every 15 minute take them to the potty thing... I don't do hue but they have to be trained in two weeks for preschool crap.... Yadda yadda
Reply
Cradle2crayons 10:02 PM 11-16-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I just start potty training by stopping use diapers and starting use underwear. The parents do same home. The first week - 2 accidents, the second week - 1 accident, the third week - no accident here. A boy is 2.3 y.o.
Another boy (same age) had 1 accident during a first week and no accident during next two weeks.
Tomorrow 3 y.o. boy will come without diapers.
During nap time all of them are wearing diapers. Most of the times they are dry.
Children are wearing long thick pants. Even if they have an accident - my floor and area rugs are dry.
Now I need to change diapers only for 20 m.o. boy.
One 3 y.o. is completely trained. 3 others boy go to potty all together after my words "it's time to pee".
I forget about changing diapers
If I would wait when parents start potty training and when children would have 2 weeks without an accident here I would change diapers at least 6 months more. I'm lazy to do that
Do you take them every x minutes or hour or etc?? Or do you require them to verbalized their need to go?
Reply
Rachel 03:08 AM 11-17-2014
I also potty train my own kids early. I am not a big fan of being in diapers until the cows come home. My youngest is 2 years and almost 4 months. He is just now ready but before he was anti (wans't going to push it of course). He goes out to daycare (here it's required when they are 2), so I am waiting for a weekend when I'm not so crazy to pull off the diapers, but like ripping off a band aide I find quick and dirty is usually the best way to go with kids.
Reply
ColorfulSunburst 06:32 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Do you take them every x minutes or hour or etc?? Or do you require them to verbalized their need to go?
1st week - every 20-30 minutes.
3rd week - around 4-5 times per day.
They are not able to verbalized their need to go yet, but they learn how to control their urination.

for me it is not a potty training, it is weaning from diapers. When we wean a child from pacifier we just take it away. We are not waiting when (s)he will be ready to say " I don't want a pacifier anymore". I think that the using diapers and pacifiers is a habit that are very comfy for ... parents. Especially the first one. Therefore, they do everything a child gets these habits and when the habits stop to be comfy for them they get nervous and do all to rid the child of these habits.
Reply
CraftyMom 06:33 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
same here. I don't do pull ups... I don't do undies over pull ups... I don't do the every 15 minute take them to the potty thing... I don't do hue but they have to be trained in two weeks for preschool crap.... Yadda yadda
I'm in this club
Reply
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
1st week - every 20-30 minutes.
3rd week - around 4-5 times per day.
They are not able to verbalized their need to go yet, but they learn how to control their urination.

for me it is not a potty training, it is weaning from diapers. When we wean a child from pacifier we just take it away. We are not waiting when (s)he will be ready to say " I don't want a pacifier anymore". I think that the using diapers and pacifiers is a habit that are very comfy for ... parents. Especially the first one.
Hmm, seems like a really productive way to look at it.

"Weaning from diapers". I like that.

Giving the time intervals in which you will take the child on week #1, 2 and 3 then gives parents a nice guideline as to what the child must be capable of doing.
Reply
taylorw1210 06:48 AM 11-17-2014
I allow children to attend in underwear once they are accident free for 2 weeks and regularly initiating potty trips on their own.
Reply
Rockgirl 06:59 AM 11-17-2014
I prefer the thick training undies with plastic pants, vs a pull-up. It seems when we switch to those, most kids train quickly, and I do believe it's because they can actually feel the wetness. When they've kept those dry most of the time, they can come in regular undies.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by Lorna:

Do you agree with having a pullup on that she will just pee in it? I don't know.
I've heard of lots of providers that recommend having the child wear undies UNDER the Pull up so that the underwear is against the skin.

That way the child still feels the wetness but you don't end up with pee all over your floor.
Reply
e.j. 12:04 PM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've heard of lots of providers that recommend having the child wear undies UNDER the Pull up so that the underwear is against the skin.

That way the child still feels the wetness but you don't end up with pee all over your floor.
I've done this and it has worked well for me. The kids who were truly potty trained never had an accident even with the pull-up on over the underwear. After 2 weeks of staying completely dry, I stopped requiring the pull-ups.
Reply
Lorna 06:12 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I prefer the thick training undies with plastic pants, vs a pull-up. It seems when we switch to those, most kids train quickly, and I do believe it's because they can actually feel the wetness. When they've kept those dry most of the time, they can come in regular undies.

That is actually what they sent her in. She didn't have any accidents but was only here for a short day.

I have 2 daycare kids that are wearing pullups and I put them on the toilet every time I do a diaper change. Sometimes one will pee, the other one doesn't at all. The boy is now 3 and the other going to be 3 soon. It has been weeks of this. I don't think the parents are consistently putting them on the toilet. Otherwise they would probably be trained by now. Frustrating that I seem to be doing all the work at daycare. One of the kids has to start school in the fall. He honestly just doesn't care. He is like this with everything. Anything you want him to do he won't do just because you want him to. Or he might do it once and then not again. He deons't seem to understand the idea that he has to go to school soon. The mom says she tries at home and he hit her when she puts him on the potty. she puts him in underwear and he just pees on the floor. Doesn't care. I tried to get him trained at daycare since the mom is like oh well he won't do it for me. But it isn't' working when it isn't consistent.
Reply
DaveA 06:52 AM 11-18-2014
I don't have a set policy- I go by what DCP & I think will work best for each child. Last child it was underwear under pullups. Child in pullups now will switch to underwear anytime now. Just waiting for her to go a couple more days accident free.
Reply
Kimskiddos 06:56 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
1st week - every 20-30 minutes.
3rd week - around 4-5 times per day.
They are not able to verbalized their need to go yet, but they learn how to control their urination.

for me it is not a potty training, it is weaning from diapers. When we wean a child from pacifier we just take it away. We are not waiting when (s)he will be ready to say " I don't want a pacifier anymore". I think that the using diapers and pacifiers is a habit that are very comfy for ... parents. Especially the first one. Therefore, they do everything a child gets these habits and when the habits stop to be comfy for them they get nervous and do all to rid the child of these habits.
Wow what an interesting perspective! I like it. I am somewhere in the middle of the 2 weeks dry and sending them to go every hour.

Like someone said if I waited for parents on the 2 weeks dry it would take so much longer. Have a nearly 3yo boy who was ready to train a couple of months ago (going potty willingly at all our potty times) and the parents dropped the ball and turned it into a battle. He is still in diapers.
Reply
christine19720 07:13 AM 11-18-2014
When they have been accident free for 2 consecutive weeks.
Reply
Tags:potty training, underwear
Reply Up