Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Want to Quit the Food Program
RebaBedford 09:24 AM 11-12-2019
Hello,

I've had a home daycare for 7 years and I'm tired of the food program. I don't get much reimbursement compared to the paperwork and they don't allow me to use electronic check-in software.

Has anyone quit? Should I just write a letter stating my last day?

I really want to use another software program but they don't accept it as attendance.

Thanks for your help!

Reba
Reply
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by RebaBedford:
Hello,

I've had a home daycare for 7 years and I'm tired of the food program. I don't get much reimbursement compared to the paperwork and they don't allow me to use electronic check-in software.

Has anyone quit? Should I just write a letter stating my last day?

I really want to use HiMama but they don't accept it as attendance.

Thanks for your help!

Reba
Why can't you use whatever attendance software you want?

I use an electronic check in software but it has nothing to do with my food program. I need only record the meals I am serving and to who but that record keeping doesn't have anything to do with parent sign in/out so I guess I am confused as to what your food program requires that is different.

You can use KidKare as electronic attendance tracking and that is directly tied to the food program so it's an option.

If you want to use any of the electronic software programs available to track your attendance I don't see why you can't.

I think the food program is simple and easy and is more than worth it even at a lower tier.

What food program agency are you with?
Reply
RebaBedford 10:42 AM 11-12-2019
Its called Clarendon, in my town I'm the only provider using the food program. I purchased HiMama with the intention of using it and they told me they only accept attendance done on paper. I'm pretty furious about the potential huge waste of money. I should have asked before I purchased it, I accept that mistake on my part.


Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why can't you use whatever attendance software you want?

I use an electronic check in software but it has nothing to do with my food program. I need only record the meals I am serving and to who but that record keeping doesn't have anything to do with parent sign in/out so I guess I am confused as to what your food program requires that is different.

You can use KidKare as electronic attendance tracking and that is directly tied to the food program so it's an option.

If you want to use any of the electronic software programs available to track your attendance I don't see why you can't.

I think the food program is simple and easy and is more than worth it even at a lower tier.

What food program agency are you with?

Reply
rosieteddy 10:59 AM 11-12-2019
I did the food program for many years.It was a pain.The day the women spilled her coffee all over the table and kitchen floor I decided to stop.Then for many more years I claimed meals on taxes.It was a good write off and I had the meals I wanted.I still fed the children healthy foods,but my choice.I never saw a huge difference in money.Less work and less input into my day.
Reply
Cat Herder 11:10 AM 11-12-2019
I stopped years ago. I just claim meal counts at the end of the year on my taxes. It was more of a hassle than helpful for me because of where I live. That said I am required to keep hard copy attendance records and sign-in/sign-out sheets anyway (3 years worth) for every insection (every 3 months), so that had nothing at all to do with my decision.
Reply
e.j. 12:35 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by RebaBedford:
Has anyone quit? Should I just write a letter stating my last day?
I quit last year after being with the program for over 20 years. I wrote a letter stating what my last claim date would be and that was the end of it. I was on Tier 2; the average reimbursement I received was only about $1000 per year. I'll know better once I pull all of my financial info together at tax time but it seems as though I'm saving more money and throwing less food out than I was when I was on the program and the kids are still eating just as well.
Reply
284878 12:39 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by RebaBedford:
Its called Clarendon, in my town I'm the only provider using the food program. I purchased HiMama with the intention of using it and they told me they only accept attendance done on paper. I'm pretty furious about the potential huge waste of money. I should have asked before I purchased it, I accept that mistake on my part.
Did they say done on paper or just it has to be submitted on paper? Some programs let you print out the electronic sign-in sheet and submit that, Is that a possibility?

As for quitting the FP, did you sign a contract with them? If so, what does it say?

You could check with Tom Copeland about quitting the fp.
Reply
284878 12:50 PM 11-12-2019
Is this your food program?

https://clarendonearlyeducationservi...ition/kidkare/

Why not just use kidkare, it is free to use for the fp? You can do electronic check-in through that the same way you do through hi mama.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by RebaBedford:
Its called Clarendon, in my town I'm the only provider using the food program. I purchased HiMama with the intention of using it and they told me they only accept attendance done on paper. I'm pretty furious about the potential huge waste of money. I should have asked before I purchased it, I accept that mistake on my part.
I guess I am not understanding what the issue is.
Why purchase an expensive software program meant for educators and childcare programs to make profiles for children, track their development, and keep parents in the loop just so you can use it FOR the food program attendance? Especially when the food program already offers that for $8.00 a month.

The software you mention says:

"Educators can log attendance, share up-to-date reports and insights of the child's behavior, send photos and videos, and can also record naps, meals, and bathroom breaks. Parents can be updated through email, text, and notifications via the HiMama website and mobile app"

The attendance part can still be used by you for licensing and tax purposes even if the food program won't accept it so like I said, I don't understand why it would be a loss or a bad purchase when you can still utilize ALL the other benefits the software touts.

If the only down fall for you is that the food program won't accept it that seems like small beans IMHO. Not something I'd quit the food program for anyways.

Thankfully all my food program requires is documentation (on paper or electronically) as to who is here for what mean and what was served. They don't ask for my daily attendance sheets (which my state requires me to have on paper for licensing reasons).
Reply
MyAngels 09:39 PM 11-12-2019
I've never really understood why providers don't want to participate in the food program. It's free money, for minimal effort. I have to feed the kids either way, so I might as well make a few extra bucks in the bargain.
Reply
284878 12:04 PM 11-13-2019
http://tomcopelandblog.com/reporting...ood-expenses-2



http://tomcopelandblog.com/december-...ss-partnership
Reply
rosieteddy 12:53 PM 11-13-2019
Not on the program you claim for food meal wise or what you actually spend.Food program you don't get that deduction but need to count the meal program payment on your taxes. The meal wise deduction was a lot of money off my earnings.Though you do spend the money to buy the food initially.
Reply
Cat Herder 01:00 PM 11-13-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Not on the program you claim for food meal wise or what you actually spend.Food program you don't get that deduction but need to count the meal program payment on your taxes. The meal wise deduction was a lot of money off my earnings.Though you do spend the money to buy the food initially.
I understand you get to claim meal count deductions even if you are reimbursed by the food program. The reimbursement is then added to income to be taxed in the "other income" category. It just raises your taxable income by the self-employed rate. Sometimes this can affect your combined tax bracket so it is worth knowing them.

You still get meal deductions, either way.
Reply
Cat Herder 01:08 PM 11-13-2019
Self-Employment Tax Rate The self-employment tax rate is 15.3%. The rate consists of two parts: 12.4% for social security (old-age, survivors, and disability insurance) and 2.9% for Medicare (hospital insurance).

Tax rate Single Head of household
10% Up to $9,525 Up to $13,600
12% $9,526 to $38,700 $13,601 to $51,800
22% $38,701 to $82,500 $51,801 to $82,500
24% $82,501 to $157,500 $82,501 to $157,500
32% $157,501 to $200,000 $157,501 to $200,000
35% $200,001 to $500,000 $200,001 to $500,000
37% $500,001 or more $500,001 or more
Tax rate Married filing jointly or qualifying widow Married filing separately
10% Up to $19,050 Up to $9,525
12% $19,051 to $77,400 $9,525 to $38,700
22% $77,401 to $165,000 $38,701 to $82,500
24% $165,001 to $315,000 $82,501 to $157,000
32% $315,001 to $400,000 $157,001 to $200,000
35% $400,001 to $600,000 $200,001 to $300,000
37% $600,001 or more $300,001 or more
Reply
284878 11:18 AM 11-14-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Not on the program you claim for food meal wise or what you actually spend.Food program you don't get that deduction but need to count the meal program payment on your taxes. The meal wise deduction was a lot of money off my earnings.Though you do spend the money to buy the food initially.
That is an internet rumor. I do have to claim the money as income but I also get the deductions.

Also, the money that I get for my own kids is not considered income and I do not get to deduct their meals.

What it boils down to is, do you want all/some of your money now or do you want the govt to hold on to it for you until you do your taxes. I choose to get it now. (Plus I got paid for nursing my ds last year.)
Reply
Tags:food program, food program - massachusetts, food program - quit, income tax, tax brackets
Reply Up