Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Handbook Length
Meyou 05:45 AM 03-15-2011
How long is too long? How detailed is too much? I'm almost done writing a through parent's handbook. I've operated up until now with a bare bones one and very open communication with my parents (worked well). But my current crop of little ones are about to start school so I want to be ready for the new influx of families in September.

Sooo....that being said I'm 14 pages in word and 6000 words in.... :/

Too much? I'm covering everything I can think of with examples and some research info to support my parenting/childcare methods. I've got a touch of the nerd in me and like things to be just so....but I also don't want to lose my audience if you know what I mean?

I can post selections so you can see my detail if that helps you help me. lol TIA!
Zoe 05:48 AM 03-15-2011
I'm in the same boat. I want to be detailed to cover my behind, but don't want to scare them away either. I'm curious to see what people say. Mine's about 10 pages. I should mention that I've added quite a few things after being on this forum.
Cat Herder 05:59 AM 03-15-2011
Mine is 7 pages with a FAQ "bullet" page to make it more "instant info" user friendly.

Solved most of my "repeat offender" issues...
nannyde 06:00 AM 03-15-2011
http://www.nanshouse.com/policies.htm

I don't know how many pages this is but here is mine.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
http://www.nanshouse.com/policies.htm

I don't know how many pages this is but here is mine.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your late pick up policy!!!!!!
missnikki 06:05 AM 03-15-2011
First off, it should be exactly as long as it needs to be to get your point across without redundancy.

Here is my table of contents for my summer camp handbook (closer to home daycare than during the school year as far as policies):

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. PURPOSE STATEMENT (p. 1)
2. WORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES (p. 1)
3. SUMMER CAMP 2010 PROGRAM DESCRIPTION (p.1)
4. CANCELLED CONTRACTS (p. 2)
5. VACATION/ ABSENCE REQUESTS (p. 2)
6. BILLING/ PAYMENT AND PROGRAM FEES (p. 2)
7. ARRIVAL/ DEPARTURE TIME (p. 2)
8. ARRIVAL/ DEPARTURE PROCEDURES (p. 3)
9. EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION (p. 3)
10. PARENT INFORMATION CENTER (p. 3)
11. ATTENDANCE (p. 4)
12. VBS WEEK (Vacation Bible School) (p. 4)
13. PERMISSION SLIPS (p. 4)
14. PROCEDURES FOR SICK CHILDREN (p. 4)
15. MEDICATION (p. 4)
16. LOST & FOUND (p. 5)
17. TOYS AND ELECTRONICS (p. 5)
18. CELL PHONES (p. 5)
19. COMPUTER/ INTERNET USE (p. 5)
20. MOVIES (p. 5)
21. ATTIRE (p. 5-6)
22. T- SHIRTS (p. 6)
23. SUNSCREEN (p. 6-7)
24. PLAYGROUND CONDUCT (p. 7)
25. DISCIPLINE (p. 7-8)
26. SUSPENSION (p. 8)
27. CONFLICT RESOLUTION (p. 9)
28. PARENT VOLUNTEERS (p. 9)
29. PRIVACY POLICY (p. 9)
30. FOOD (p. 10)
31. PHOTOGRAPHS/ VIDEOS (p. 10)
32. VISITING THE PROGRAM (p. 10)
33. CHILD ABUSE REPORTING OBLIGATIONS (p. 11)
34. IMPORTANT FIELD TRIP REMINDERS (p. 11-12)
• FIELD TRIP ATTENDANCE (p. 11)
• FIELD TRIP BEHAVIOR (p. 11)
• WALKING FIELD TRIPS (p. 12)
• ABILITY LEVELS (p. 12)
• LIBRARY CARDS (p. 12)
• MONEY ON FIELD TRIPS (p. 12)
35. BILLING/ PAYMENT POLICY (p. 13)
36. SUMMER CAMP 2010 RATES (p. 14)

PM me if you want to see anything specific. I don't use examples in it, but I have specifically outlined my expectations...anticipated questions, loopholes and grey areas.

My contract is a seperate paper that has schedule and stuff, with a sentence that says "I HAVE RECEIVED AND READ THE 2010 SUMMER CAMP POLICY HANDBOOK. I UNDERSTAND THE POLICIES AND BILLING INFORMATION. UPON SIGNING, I AUTHORIZE ENROLLMENT IN ______ SUMMER CAMP AND AGREE TO ABIDE BY ITS POLICIES AS OUTLINED IN THE 2010 SUMMER CAMP POLICY HANDBOOK."
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 03-15-2011
Mine's 13 pages, and will be longer as soon as I add in some of my new "infant addendums". Ultimately, I want it online ONLY 'cause I sure as heck don't wanna print that monster out very often.
Meyou 06:29 AM 03-15-2011
Hahahaha Nan. Your teething, allergies and ear infections has me ROFL. Also "justacold". hahahahah

Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm going too add a few more things that I've missed from your posts and stop worrying about the length.

This is an example from the Arrival/Departure section:

"In the summer we’re “on the go” so children must arrive by 9am. After 9am I can’t guarantee we’ll be here and it is the responsibility of the parent to drop the child off to me (prepared for the activity we’re doing) or to arrange alternate care for the child for the day. EG: If we are at the beach the child must arrive with a bathing suit, hat, lunch, sunblock applied and change of clothes.

When your child first starts to attend my dayhome regularly, please expect them to cry when you leave or even before you get in the house. This is totally normal and is their way of expressing anxiety at a new place with new people. The best thing to do is to quickly say goodbye with lots of love, tell them exactly when you’ll be back (“Daddy will be back to pick you up after work today and we’ll go home for dinner”) and leave promptly. I will soothe and/or distract your child and make them feel at home. Most children only cry until Mom or Dad is out of sight. Never sneak away! This only increases your child’s anxiety….knowing where you are and when you’ll be back is very important to them. Sometimes children who have been here for years will have a week here and there of sad times at arrival. This is also normal and is usually related to a vacation, sickness or another extended time home with Mom or Dad. Same rules as above apply. "

Overkill?
missnikki 06:38 AM 03-15-2011
Those are all great points, and well written...I would just say a couple things:
1) The 2 paragraphs almost seem like they could be under different headings. Maybe the longer paragraph could be under "Easing the transition" or something...
2) The last sentence implies that dropping off quickly etc.. is a rule. Might want to drop that last sentence as you have explained why they should do it, not that you are going to make them say goodbye your way. KWIM?
TBird 10:22 AM 03-15-2011
OMG....mine is 18 pages long!!! I didn't realize I was that long winded!!!
E Daycare 10:40 AM 03-15-2011
Mines pretty extensive too. This year I updated it from last with a bunch of ideas found on this site and for things I over looked (Like a bug policy. I had someones kid bring fleas into my home and act like it was no big deal.). I just did a part time and drop in care policy too. Its like my full time one but with a few more things added in. In June Im going to redo it again as I keep finding and reading about more things I need to cover. Apparently common sense is lacking in some people and you have to spell out everything. I also make sure I CMA-cover my @$$.

I love nans late policy, special needs and nebulizer policy. I will be adding those come the 6month mark too.
jen 11:41 AM 03-15-2011
LOL...uhmmm...just my contract. That's it! (Plus mandatory paperwork as required by the state, which is extensive. Ick)

My contract is 3 pages and most of that is listing reportable illness
krystamichelle 11:52 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
LOL...uhmmm...just my contract. That's it! (Plus mandatory paperwork as required by the state, which is extensive. Ick)

My contract is 3 pages and most of that is listing reportable illness
Mine too... I have a few policies, house rules, my promise to the parents/children, daily schedule, and discipline policies (all of which, have to be read and initialed). Add that with the emergency medical forms, and my total is a whopping five pages!
daycare 12:08 PM 03-15-2011
I was told by my lawyer that your PHB could be 100 pages long if necessary. He said really there is no way to cover everything 100%, however, you need to CYA (cover your a@s, as much as you possibly can. If the parents so chose not to read it and sign it, then that is their choice. That does not mean that they are not responsible for following the rules.
No matter where you go, there are rules. No one can memorize them all, but should have a refrence to resort back to when needed. My children bring home a book I mean 100 plus pages code of conduct from their school. No way amI expected to memorize all of the rules in the book, but I am expected to follow them.....
squareone 12:28 PM 03-15-2011
My contract and handbook is now one in the same and I currently have a total of 23 pages. Yow!
SilverSabre25 02:03 PM 03-15-2011
My contract is one page--it states the hours and days the child will be here, the financial arrangement, the number of vacation days the family receives, and a very important line about having read the handbook and adhering to the policies within it.
daycare 02:08 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My contract is one page--it states the hours and days the child will be here, the financial arrangement, the number of vacation days the family receives, and a very important line about having read the handbook and adhering to the policies within it.
My contract is also one page, but I think the OP was asking about PHB...
SilverSabre25 02:08 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
My contract is also one page, but I think the OP was asking about PHB...
Yeah I know; I answered that one above.
daycare 02:11 PM 03-15-2011
Yeah I know; I answered that one above.
I guess I missed that............I knew that........lol jk
Abigail 09:11 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This is an example from the Arrival/Departure section:

"In the summer we’re “on the go” so children must arrive by 9am. After 9am I can’t guarantee we’ll be here and it is the responsibility of the parent to drop the child off to me (prepared for the activity we’re doing) or to arrange alternate care for the child for the day. EG: If we are at the beach the child must arrive with a bathing suit, hat, lunch, sunblock applied and change of clothes.

, please expect them to cry when you leave or even before you get in the house. This is totally normal and is their way of expressing anxiety at a new place with new people. The best thing to do is to quickly say goodbye with lots of love, tell them exactly when you’ll be back (“Daddy will be back to pick you up after work today and we’ll go home for dinner”) and leave promptly. I will soothe and/or distract your child and make them feel at home. Most children only cry until Mom or Dad is out of sight. Never sneak away! This only increases your child’s anxiety….knowing where you are and when you’ll be back is very important to them. Sometimes children who have been here for years will have a week here and there of sad times at arrival. This is also normal and is usually related to a vacation, sickness or another extended time home with Mom or Dad. Same rules as above apply. "

Overkill?
I agree with MissNikki that they could be separate categories. Yes, write what you must to get your point across, but remember policies don't hold up in court. Only your contract. If I had to sit down and read "examples" under each category I would go nuts. I'm very detailed myself, but like things clean cut and easy-to-understand.

I would recommend avoiding a bunch of examples because a parent might say "that wasn't an example" and soon you'll have to include a book of examples. I would recommend two options to help you keep it to the point so you don't overwhelm potentional clients and ask them to read a novel.
1. Omit the examples and fluff completely so everything they read is VERY important in the policies. Have them read it at your home and go over it and explain each section (or the ones that are most important) to them if they have questions. OR have them read it at home and tell them you will arrange another time to meet to go over any questions as you would like to explain some parts in further detail.

2. Omit the examples and fluff completely so everything they read is VERY important in the policies still, but have a few "handouts" on things that will help them understand and give examples in those.
"When your child first starts to attend my dayhome regularly" this part of the sentence could be omitted completely because you should speak in the present tense as if they're already enrolled because you don't only give your handbooks to the potential clients, but also for those who are already enrolled in your program. Your handbook isn't suppose to be an advertisement by any means.

I don't see other important factors in the arrival/departure.
I have an arrivals/departure section that is two short paragraphs covering the transition about crying and not to bring in candy or other small objects. That the parent needs to assist them in taking off their jacket and shoes and the child must arrive clean and in a dry/clean diaper.

I also have a Pickup and Drop-off Policy section which is two paragraphs. This talks about the parent needing to transport the child safely (needs proper car seat and no drinking). It also has the steps I follow if I know they don't have a car seat and/or have been drinking.

Following those two categories in my policy book is the "Person's Authorized to Pickup and Drop-off."
Sorry this got really long, but if you want to see the exact wording I'll send it or post it.
Meyou 02:40 AM 03-16-2011
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Soooo helpful.

Abigail: I'm going to take your advice as well as others and simplify things a little. I need more headings to make things easier for parents to find. I've been deleting fluff as I go. Sometimes I write a bit when I'm cranky about something and then need to go back and tone it down. Never write your PHB when a parent has annoyed you. hahaha

Now that I'm not as worried about the total length since PHB seem to vary greatly I'll just trust my instincts and keep writing. lol I've spent the past few weeks trying to remember anything to do with a parent that has annoyed me or needed to be adressed in my past 4 years in business but perhaps I don't need to be that throughough. I've made alot of changes and learned the hard way about alot of things.....as I'm sure most of you have too. I can't believe how naive I was.
Meyou 02:49 AM 03-16-2011
These are two sections I consider completed. I'd love some more feedback if anyone has time.

Meals

Lunch and two snacks are provided daily although hungry friends are always allowed to ask for more. Morning snack at 10am, lunch at 12:30 and afternoon snack at approx 3pm (the kids tend to have their snack as they wake up from naps between 2 and 3). Children arriving prior to 8am are welcome to bring their breakfast to eat in the kitchen before they go to play. All meals, drinks and snacks are eaten at the table. We do have the occasional treat in the playroom but it is a special event like a movie with popcorn.

Children under 2 are given drinks in sippy cups that I provide. Between age 2 and 3 depending on the child I transition each child from a sippy to a cup for drinks. Children 3 and older are given plastic cups that I have in a variety of colors. A new cup is provided for each snack or meal. The children quickly learn to remember what color cup they had last. If your child uses a bottle regularly you are required to provide both the bottle and the milk/formula. I offer bottles just after meal and snack times unless it’s for a child younger than 12 months.

One serving of milk is provided for each child daily. I serve 100% fruit juice (usually apple or orange) watered to a 75% juice/25% water ratio. Juice is poured twice at day and any other drinks offered are cold, filtered water. If you wish for your child to have milk at all meals it can be send from home on Mondays (or the first day of care for the week) and any leftovers will be send home on the last day of care for the week.

Canada’s Food Guide is the basis for meals and snacks. Snacks contain 3 food groups and lunch contains 4 food groups. Children are offered small portions of multiple items and encouraged to try new things. We have a “one bite rule”…if you want seconds of something you must try one bite of everything else on your plate. This method gets children to try things they would normally avoid and generally end up liking most foods they’re given. If a child really dislikes something I will substitute that item for something similar but only after they have tried it several times. For example an orange hater would be given an apple or a banana.

Canada’s Food Guide recommends that children ages 2-5 have the following each day:

4-5 servings of fruit or vegetables
3-4 servings of whole grains
2 servings of milk or alternatives
1 serving of meat or alternatives

The daily menu is available on the bulletin board by the front door daily and contains:

3-4 servings of fruit or vegetables
2-3 servings of whole grains

Quiet Time

Naptime or quiet time is daily from 1pm to 3pm. All children under 5 (or not yet in school) are required to rest for the first 45 minutes of naptime lying quietly on their beds. Anyone awake after 45 minutes may then get up and play quietly, read books, color or watch a movie for the remainder of naptime. I do not provide care for children that do not require a daily rest time.

Children under 2 nap in a playpen and those over 2 nap on a cot or bed. As with sippy cups there is a transition period between 2 and 3 from playpen to bed. When this happens depends on the child but once they can climb out of the playpen they are ready to nap on a cot.

Children under 2 who require a morning nap will be given one until I feel they can participate in our daily activities without it. Morning nap time is 9am to 10am so we still have time to do outside activities each day before lunch.

Please keep in mind that the children have a very engaging, busy and active day here so they may require more sleep than you’re used to at home on the weekends. Children under 5 require an average of 12-13 hours of sleep for each 24 hour period. I am a firm believer in children getting enough sleep on a daily basis. The majority of children are sleep deprived without their parents ever realizing it since sleep deprivation in children manifests as hyperactivity, restlessness, trouble settling and a general lack of control with their emotions.

Children may bring blankets or special items from home to sleep with. These items can stay here and will be washed weekly.
squareone 06:01 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
These are two sections I consider completed. I'd love some more feedback if anyone has time.

Meals

Lunch and two snacks are provided daily although hungry friends are always allowed to ask for more. Morning snack at 10am, lunch at 12:30 and afternoon snack at approx 3pm (the kids tend to have their snack as they wake up from naps between 2 and 3). Children arriving prior to 8am are welcome to bring their breakfast to eat in the kitchen before they go to play. All meals, drinks and snacks are eaten at the table. We do have the occasional treat in the playroom but it is a special event like a movie with popcorn.

Children under 2 are given drinks in sippy cups that I provide. Between age 2 and 3 depending on the child I transition each child from a sippy to a cup for drinks. Children 3 and older are given plastic cups that I have in a variety of colors. A new cup is provided for each snack or meal. The children quickly learn to remember what color cup they had last. If your child uses a bottle regularly you are required to provide both the bottle and the milk/formula. I offer bottles just after meal and snack times unless it’s for a child younger than 12 months.

One serving of milk is provided for each child daily. I serve 100% fruit juice (usually apple or orange) watered to a 75% juice/25% water ratio. Juice is poured twice at day and any other drinks offered are cold, filtered water. If you wish for your child to have milk at all meals it can be send from home on Mondays (or the first day of care for the week) and any leftovers will be send home on the last day of care for the week.

Canada’s Food Guide is the basis for meals and snacks. Snacks contain 3 food groups and lunch contains 4 food groups. Children are offered small portions of multiple items and encouraged to try new things. We have a “one bite rule”…if you want seconds of something you must try one bite of everything else on your plate. This method gets children to try things they would normally avoid and generally end up liking most foods they’re given. If a child really dislikes something I will substitute that item for something similar but only after they have tried it several times. For example an orange hater would be given an apple or a banana.

Canada’s Food Guide recommends that children ages 2-5 have the following each day:

4-5 servings of fruit or vegetables
3-4 servings of whole grains

The daily menu is available on the bulletin board by the front door daily and contains:

3-4 servings of fruit or vegetables
2-3 servings of whole grains

Quiet Time

Naptime or quiet time is daily from 1pm to 3pm. All children under 5 (or not yet in school) are required to rest for the first 45 minutes of naptime lying quietly on their beds. Anyone awake after 45 minutes may then get up and play quietly, read books, color or watch a movie for the remainder of naptime. I do not provide care for children that do not require a daily rest time.

Children under 2 nap in a playpen and those over 2 nap on a cot or bed. As with sippy cups there is a transition period between 2 and 3 from playpen to bed. When this happens depends on the child but once they can climb out of the playpen they are ready to nap on a cot.

Children under 2 who require a morning nap will be given one until I feel they can participate in our daily activities without it. Morning nap time is 9am to 10am so we still have time to do outside activities each day before lunch.

Please keep in mind that the children have a very engaging, busy and active day here so they may require more sleep than you’re used to at home on the weekends. Children under 5 require an average of 12-13 hours of sleep for each 24 hour period. I am a firm believer in children getting enough sleep on a daily basis. The majority of children are sleep deprived without their parents ever realizing it since sleep deprivation in children manifests as hyperactivity, restlessness, trouble settling and a general lack of control with their emotions.

Children may bring blankets or special items from home to sleep with. These items can stay here and will be washed weekly.

If you are looking to shorten the meal section you could probably take out the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs completely. Too much information IMHO and if a parent has further questions, you can just verbally explain to them how you do things. Hopefully most of them already have an idea of what Canada's Food Guide recommends.

Meals

Lunch and two snacks are provided daily although hungry friends are always allowed to ask for more. Morning snack is at 10am, lunch at 12:30 and afternoon snack at approx 3pm (the kids tend to have their snack as they wake up from naps between 2 and 3). Children arriving prior to 8am are welcome to bring their breakfast to eat in the kitchen before they go to play. All meals, drinks and snacks are to be eaten at the table.

Canada’s Food Guide is the basis for meals and snacks and a daily menu will be posted on the bulletin board by the front door. We have a “one bite rule”…if you want seconds of something you must try one bite of everything else on your plate.

For the nap section I would just reword the part about YOU deciding when they no longer need a nap. Parents might not like this. See my suggestions below.

I really like the last paragraph about how sleep deprivation manifests itself in children. Mind if I borrow that?

Quiet Time

Naptime or quiet time is daily from 1pm to 3pm. All children under 5 (or not yet in school) are required to rest quietly on their cots for the first 45 minutes. Anyone awake after 45 minutes may then get up and play quietly, read books, color or watch a movie for the remainder of naptime. I do not provide care for children that do not require a daily rest time.

Children under 2 nap in a playpen and those over 2 nap on a cot or bed. Children will be transitioned to a cot once they can climb out of the playpen which is usually around age 2. Children may bring blankets or special items from home to sleep with. These items can stay here and will be washed weekly.

Children under 2 will be allowed a morning nap until they have demonstrated that they are ready to participate in our daily activities without one. Morning nap time is 9am to 10am so we still have time to do outside activities each day before lunch.

Please keep in mind that the children have a very engaging, busy and active day here so they may require more sleep than you’re used to at home on the weekends. Children under 5 require an average of 12-13 hours of sleep for each 24 hour period. I am a firm believer in children getting enough sleep on a daily basis since sleep deprivation in children manifests as hyperactivity, restlessness, trouble settling and a general lack of control with their emotions.
Meyou 08:18 AM 03-16-2011
Thanks for the help! I'll definately make those changes and you've given me a better idea of what's important and what's just me rambling. lol Feel free to steal the part about sleep deprivation. It's one of my hugest pet peeves and it was even before I started in childcare. I cannot count the number of children that have had overall improvements in their behavior and happiness once I convince their parents that they aren't getting enough sleep. Most people just don't understand how a chronic lack of proper sleep actually affects most children.
Meeko 09:02 AM 03-16-2011
My handbook is 11 pages long. I make sure to remind the parents to actually READ it....and there is a place on the contract where they have to sign saying they have read and understood the handbook and that it is PART of their legally binding contract.

That way...if I have problems (Ok...WHEN I have problems!) I can say "It's in your handbook and you signed saying you understood it.
TBird 09:14 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
My handbook is 11 pages long. I make sure to remind the parents to actually READ it....and there is a place on the contract where they have to sign saying they have read and understood the handbook and that it is PART of their legally binding contract.

That way...if I have problems (Ok...WHEN I have problems!) I can say "It's in your handbook and you signed saying you understood it.
So true! I have that part and I have them fill in the date that I went over the contract details with them. Then they sign off that they agree and it's legally binding yadda, yadda.
nannyde 11:54 AM 03-16-2011

I copied mine into the microsoft word and they are eleven pages long in twelve font.

I thought I had SHORT policies. Ummmmmmmmmmm wow just wow

It WAS with a big border on each side and a page on "don't wear fragrances" so maybe... ten pages

I've been thinking for SO long: WHY does everyone have so many pages of policies?

daycare 11:57 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I copied mine into the microsoft word and they are eleven pages long in twelve font.

I thought I had SHORT policies. Ummmmmmmmmmm wow just wow

It WAS with a big border on each side and a page on "don't wear fragrances" so maybe... ten pages

I've been thinking for SO long: WHY does everyone have so many pages of policies?

..... we only make rules when we are forced to........ It seems like I started with 4 pages and now have 14. Darn parents if ya would just not pull cr@p all the time I would not have to be adding pages to my PHB.....lol
Or am I the only one?
Unregistered 09:21 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Mine is 7 pages with a FAQ "bullet" page to make it more "instant info" user friendly.

Solved most of my "repeat offender" issues...

Oh may I please see that section? I get asked by rude 'pretending' parenst where things are in the handbook, i didnt see that part, yadda yadda... that would solve issues I think! TIA!!
Tags:handbook, handbook - length
Reply Up