Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Milk Problems at Daycare
morgan61 07:34 PM 01-20-2014
I have twin Boys that are now 16 months old. Unfortunately they have never been able to handle dairy very well especially milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt. It has just recently been communicated to me that the government food program consultant for my daycare has said I must give the boys cows milk and not the coconut and almond milk combo I've been giving them. A doctors note will not suffice to exclude them from the requirement. I was told the only other option is soy milk, which nutritionally falls short of every other milk option. Is there another option? I've offered to provide dha and protein supplements in conjunction with the coconut and almond milk I've been providing and was told that does not work either. Why am I not able to choose what my child is able to drink or not drink?
butterfly 07:38 PM 01-20-2014
I had this same battle in my daycare. Frustrating! You can still serve that type of milk, you just can't claim the meals.
Brooksie 07:55 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by morgan61:
I have twin Boys that are now 16 months old. Unfortunately they have never been able to handle dairy very well especially milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt. It has just recently been communicated to me that the government food program consultant for my daycare has said I must give the boys cows milk and not the coconut and almond milk combo I've been giving them. A doctors note will not suffice to exclude them from the requirement. I was told the only other option is soy milk, which nutritionally falls short of every other milk option. Is there another option? I've offered to provide dha and protein supplements in conjunction with the coconut and almond milk I've been providing and was told that does not work either. Why am I not able to choose what my child is able to drink or not drink?
Just before deciding to close I had interviewed with the food program here in MD. My daughter is Allergic to the protein in animal milk and also soy. The only thing she can drink is rice milk or almond milk. When I asked about her, they said with a drs note I WAS able to supplement her allowed items. They CANNOT tell you that a child MUST drink something that will make them sick, WITH a drs note. If that's what they are saying FIGHT IT.
heyhun77 07:59 PM 01-20-2014
I have a daycare kiddo who can't have milk and they don't want soy so we use Kieffer. For program said it was allowable since it actually has more protein per serving than cows milk. Maybe try that.
Childminder 08:00 PM 01-20-2014
This is from a CACFP publication so all you need is a signed letter in your file.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/milk.pdf

Offer lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk to children
who are lactose-intolerant or, upon a parent’s
written request, a preapproved nondairy milk (for
example, soy) to children who can’t consume cow’s
milk. Handle milk substitutions on a case-by-case
basis and contact your State agency or sponsoring
organization if additional guidance is needed.
morgan61 07:01 PM 01-21-2014
Thank you!
daycarediva 03:55 AM 01-22-2014
signed drs note. I have a kid with one (just started), and the food program had no problem with this. It also isn't even an allergy, it's due to constipation. As long as they have a drs note, they don't care.
craftymissbeth 06:02 AM 01-22-2014
This is the only thing holding me back from the FP. I serve the dck's organic milk, which isn't the issue, but ds gets almond milk. He has encopresis and animal milk seems to make it worse. I don't feel comfortable serving him soy milk. We tried kefir, but he didn't like it.

He is 7 and rarely here during meals, but I felt it was wrong to not be able to claim a meal for a child simply because they cannot drink any of the approved milks even with a docs note.
melilley 06:05 AM 01-22-2014
I have a dcb who can only have almond milk. All I had to do was get a dr. note and my fp sponsor said that that was fine.
craftymissbeth 06:08 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have a dcb who can only have almond milk. All I had to do was get a dr. note and my fp sponsor said that that was fine.
This is awesome news. So even if almond milk is not on the approved milks list it's ok with a doctors note? I'm going to call my local sponsor today and I'll ask them, too, before I set up a meeting.
melilley 06:40 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
This is awesome news. So even if almond milk is not on the approved milks list it's ok with a doctors note? I'm going to call my local sponsor today and I'll ask them, too, before I set up a meeting.
I think it's up to each sponsor and/or program. If you read the Monitoring Handbook that the fp sponsors go by, it says it's up your state agency. It's worth a try!

Here's the link to the handbook if you want to look:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ring_Homes.pdf
craftymissbeth 06:45 AM 01-22-2014
I think it's up to each sponsor and/or program. If you read the Monitoring Handbook that the fp sponsors go by, it says it's up your state agency. It's worth a try!

Thank you!
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 01-22-2014

If you want to count something as a credible substitute it MUST contain the same nutrients as the food/beverage you are replacing.

Almond milk would NOT be credible, even with a doctor's statement. The doctor MUST list a substitute that contains the equivalent of what you are removing.

I found this in the info from the CACFP site:

S4. What about almond milk? Is that an allowable substitute?

Currently, there are no almond milks on the market that meet the requirements outlined in 7 CFR 210.10(m)(3).
Leigh 07:35 AM 02-12-2014
How does soy milk fall short of every other milk option? From comparing the 1% in my fridge to the soy milk in my fridge, based on nutrition labels alone, I'd choose the soy as the better choice.
Angelsj 11:41 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
How does soy milk fall short of every other milk option? From comparing the 1% in my fridge to the soy milk in my fridge, based on nutrition labels alone, I'd choose the soy as the better choice.
Soy milk contains high levels of phytoestrogens. Many parents, particularly of boys, do not want them getting those levels of hormones.
SunshineMama 11:48 AM 02-12-2014
That's awful! I would definitely protest. Get a signed note from your doctor, to start out with. Do they provide the milk?

My son had a milk protein intolerance his entire first year of life, so I get what it does to your kid if they have it. If they wont waiver, get another daycare.
Unregistered 07:39 AM 02-16-2014
That is odd. My daughter doesn't have a real allergy, rather a sensitivity (she gets a little rashy with too much dairy). My daycare is very strict with their food program and doesn't allow any outside food- no parties, special events, etc., and they were completely fine with me bringing in almond milk and coconut milk yogurt. Maybe try goats' milk? It's pricey, but a lot of kids with cow milk allergies do really well on it. Not sure of the nutritional stuff, but it's probably more rich than almond milk?
MadisonHarris 05:47 AM 06-06-2014
Well, I think you should go with the normal routine. Do not worry about this too much. Give them time. You can add something (tasty) in the milk products so that they will like it.
Emma 10:01 PM 08-03-2014
Hi everyone
My daughter is going to a daycare center at Toronto. We were reluctant to give her cow’s milk at first. but later on the day care people somehow managed to get her to drink it. Now she is quite used to it and we have started using cow’s milk in our home too. Thanks to WeeWatch Child care !!
AmyKidsCo 07:14 AM 08-05-2014
He is 7 and rarely here during meals, but I felt it was wrong to not be able to claim a meal for a child simply because they cannot drink any of the approved milks even with a docs note.
The FP doesn't say the child has to DRINK the milk, only that you have to SERVE it. So pour him the minimum amount, he can ignore it, and you're good to go.
craftymissbeth 07:47 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
The FP doesn't say the child has to DRINK the milk, only that you have to SERVE it. So pour him the minimum amount, he can ignore it, and you're good to go.

KidGrind 11:28 AM 08-05-2014
Basically, one too many parents have an issue of control whether than what is best for their children. I am not here to type you are one of those parents. I could not possibly know. I am sharing the reason why.

I suggest you ask for the regulations in regards to milk requirements. I also think you should have medical documentation (ensuring it’s not a preference and actually medical condition).

I know my representative allowed a goat milk formula. It was not a medical condition but a lifestyle choice.
grateday 08:36 PM 08-06-2014
Step 1: Go to the food program sponsors site (ask your provider if you don't know)
Step 2: Contact them yourself and see what you have to do. Look at the reason why and find it in writing like a policy
Step 3: Follow the policy that they have or find a provider with a sponsor that does not have that sort of rule. Let your provider know you are not willing to give your kid that kind of milk

Personal opinion: I as a provider would not sign up for a food program that did that sort of crap. It is not up to them what my kid can or cannot have and it is up to me to agree. Some sponsors are so hell bent on that aspect of milk.

I think the whole food program has an agenda with the dairy industry/soy (GMO)/chemical agriculture industry. It is a money bucket and they have no sort of concern about the output they providing the public. There product is no more nutritious than organic coconut milk or organic almond milk.

They feed cows in a way that is against nature, the cows don't produce the kind of nutritious milk that they would if they ate what nature says they should eat and if people were less hard on there utters and the cows were more free. Not all children can handle all kinds of milk sugars or have the enzymes to digest them anyway.

So people when they drink milk are getting chemical milk, with pus from cows getting infections because the cows are not as healthy as before the days of big chemical agriculture feed.

Now lets talk about GMO soy. Who wants to feed that s*** to there kids anyway or the f((()* hormone issue that goes along with that.

Educate yourself about the food industry as a provider. Some of the crap that if you knew that you were feeding all these kids could seem as though you were poisoning them. But hey the big food money covers that up, right?

A corn kernel from GMO corn can make an insect explode. GMO's can apotosize your human cells, and promote tumor growth. Just because you may not be eating the corn as so it seems does not mean the soy and corn is not in the oils and products you buy at the grocery store oh and by products of the medications you or your children consume. (Big pharma and Big ag?)

Oh, and if you want some healthy fruit options for your daycare children. It might get harder because we can thank the chemical companies for killing the pollinators and the people that keep buying glycophosphate. Up next for government approval is an Agent Orange derivative pesticide. Hey, lets fight chemical with chemical oh because we have superweeds and resistant pests.

Pretty soon there is no viable soil to grow a damn thing. Because hey the chemicals have depleted the soil of the nutrients. Tilling has depleted the soil. We cannot support the population if we keep treating the earth like this. Most weeds are actually pulling nutrients from the deep soil to the topsoil to help the soil, cleansing the air, and providing ground cover protection. Tilling opens up the natural way that soil is supposed to be settled bringing in air which dries and depletes the nutrients. Soil needs to be replenished.

Wake the f*** up. Tell your farmers that they need to change there ways. Teach your friends and neighbors/gardeners/lawn obsessed people.

If your like me and you live were I live it is 20 times harder to get that point across
We need to be actively changing.
Tags:food program, milk, milk allergy
Reply Up