Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Write Off List, Can't Find
daycare 08:37 AM 12-12-2012
so I know over time we all made a list of things that we can write off on our taxes along with a nice list of time space % list of activities and etc.

I have searched for it and can't find it.

can someone help me find this list?

Thanks in advance......
Michael 01:56 PM 12-12-2012
I seem to remember a member that was putting together all of the time/space postings from Tom Copeland last year. I would like to find it also. Here are the threads from the Time Space Percentage tag: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ace+percentage

I think it was legomom that was putting that list together.
daycare 02:00 PM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
I seem to remember a member that was putting together all of the time/space postings from Tom Copeland last year. I would like to find it also. Here are the threads from the Time Space Percentage tag: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ace+percentage

I think it was legomom that was putting that list together.
the second link does not work
Michael 02:10 PM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
the second link does not work
That is because it was a search. Go to legomom's profile and click on statistics/All Threads and see if it pulls it up. https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=32368
daycare 02:13 PM 12-12-2012
That is because it was a search. Go to legomom's profile and click on statistics/All Threads and see if it pulls it up. https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=32368
hahahh i knew that....lol NOT

thanks so much for your help on this.....trying to rack my brain and that hurts...
daycare 03:05 PM 12-12-2012
I suck at this I cant find anything...

ok quick question

can we claim grocery shopping or time spent shopping for daycare ?? I forget.

MY CPA called me and said no, and I recall it being yes
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 12-12-2012
Is this the list you are looking for?

Originally Posted by legomom922:
I thought it would be helpful if we all could add something to the "worked when no kids are here" list, because we dont always think of everything that someone else may.

1. Shoveling deck, porch, driveway
2. Salting deck porch driveway
3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees.
4. Cleaning house,
5.Unloading groceries
6. Making out a grocery list
7.Laundry, washing, drying, folding, putting away
8. Loading dishwasher, emptying dishwasher, putting stuff away
9. Cooking, preparing meals
10.Online research, training, reading daycare.com LOL
11. Painting, repairing, remodeling
12. Cleaning out & organizing garage
13. Cleaning toys, rotating toys, putting away & organizing toys
14. Cleaning out gutters
15.Duct cleaning
16.Painting a deck
17.Cleaning pool, adding chemicals
18.Washing & vaccuming car?????
19.Bookwork, MMK, working on taxes
20.Defrosting freezer, cleaning out refrigerator, cleaning oven
21. Cleaning windows
22. Baby/Child proofing
23. Sealing driveway, sweeping driveway

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27284
daycare 03:14 PM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is this the list you are looking for?

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27284
how the heck did you find that??????
daycare 03:15 PM 12-12-2012
yes this would be the one....you rock, but you already knew that......lol
Michael 03:21 PM 12-12-2012
OK, since I can't link all of these tags, you can use the tag search and there a mutilple threads for all of these:

TAG SEARCH

deductions
deduction - software
standard deduction
deduction limit
deduction - toys
deduction - lawyer
deduction
deduction - car
deduction - utilities
deduction - food
deduction - phone bill
deduction - landscape
deduction - snow shoveling
deduction - furniture
deduction - insurance
deduction - stroller
deduction - household items
deduction - laundry
deduction limits
deduction - mortgage
deduction - limits
deduction - books
deduction - home improvement
deduction - trips
deduction - birthday party
deduction - storage unit
deduction - gym
deduction - milage
deduction - how much
deduction - tax preparation
deduction - carpet
deduction - coffee
deduction - humidifier
deduction - air conditioning
deduction - heating
deduction - rent
deduction - cell phone
deduction - medical
deduction - charity
deduction - maintenance
deduction - repairs
deduction - party
deduction - parents night out
deduction - garage
deduction - parents
deduction - pest control
deduction - meals
deduction - internet
canada - tax deductions
deduction - animals
deduction - pool
deduction - advertising
deduction - start up
deduction - outings
deduction - unlicensed
deduction - supplies
ddeduction - pre-daycare
deduction - trip
deduction - security
deduction - research
deduction - provider children
deduction - time
deduction - preschool program
deduction - appliances
deduction - property tax
deduction - bonuses
deduction - vacuum
deduction - club memberships
deduction - education
deduction - computer
deduction - groceries
deduction - cleaning
food deductions
Blackcat31 03:22 PM 12-12-2012
how the heck did you find that??????
it's a gift. Seriously I have no idea how I can find things, I just do. That is why my first career choice was a research attorney.

I LOVE looking for things and somehow, it comes easy to me.
daycare 03:22 PM 12-12-2012
lol I love you guys......
Blackcat31 03:25 PM 12-12-2012
OK, since I can't link all of these tags, you can use the tag search and there a mutilple threads for all of these:

TAG SEARCH
...or you can just go to the Tax section, scroll rapidly down the threads and find one that says "Let's make a list" and being that it was a thread legomom started, it was a given.
daycare 03:26 PM 12-12-2012
it's a gift. Seriously I have no idea how I can find things, I just do. That is why my first career choice was a research attorney.

I LOVE looking for things and somehow, it comes easy to me.
gosh girl I wish I half just have of your patience to find things.....I am just not good at finding things via the net or anything to do with computers....lol

Just don't play hide and seek with me......I rock at that..............lol yes I said that
MarinaVanessa 03:35 PM 12-12-2012

ok quick question

No. Only time spend doing things for your daycare in your home count towards figuring out your time/space %. But you can claim your mileage if the main purpose of the trip was for daycare and you can keep receipts and claim things you buy as 100% if the are only for your business (not shared with your family) and then apply your time/space % to the items that are shared with DC and your family.
Michael 03:36 PM 12-12-2012
...or you can just go to the Tax section, scroll rapidly down the threads and find one that says "Let's make a list" and being that it was a thread legomom started, it was a given.
Yes, but I know we are going to get a lot of deduction questions this year. The Tag suggestions dropdown only shows 10 similar words and there are over 70 for the word "deduction". I thought I would post them all to save everyone time.
TomCopeland 01:40 PM 12-13-2012

ok quick question

No. You can only count time you spend in your home on business activities.
TomCopeland 01:42 PM 12-13-2012
I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html
daycare 03:10 PM 12-13-2012
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I've identified over 1,000 allowable business deductions for family child care providers in my book Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...h-edition.html
just purchased the book thanks so much tom
Gellybean6903 02:55 AM 02-14-2013
BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??
TomCopeland 11:48 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by Gellybean6903:
BlackCat posted a big ole list up there of work when no kids at the house ...and the third one made me wonder. It says.. "3. Mowing grass, trimming, raking, gardening, pulling weeds, watering lawn & flowers, bushes, trees."

We actually pay someone to mow, trim, blow, etc. Can we claim this as a deduction?? If so, what type of deduction is that??
You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.
KnoxMom 12:56 PM 03-05-2013
You can deduct the time-space % amount of the cost of hiring someone to do this work for you. Claim it as house repairs on Form 8829.
What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply?
TomCopeland 06:17 PM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
What if you lease your home? Which of these deductions will apply?
You can deduct the time-space % of your lease and any other house expenses you pay for: utilities, renter's insurance, repairs, etc.
lovemykidstoo 09:57 AM 04-17-2019
I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!
TomCopeland 06:58 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I know this is an old thread but things I'm referencing go with it, so hopefully Tom sees this. I see that you can claim t/s% on things such as cutting grass, different landscaping things like planting, weeding etc. We can claim the time for these or does it have to be specifically 100% daycare related to do it? I mean I will be cutting my grass regardless, so I wondered.

Also as far as receipts. I buy things from garage sales alot. How do I track that as far as a receipt? Thanks!
You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.
lovemykidstoo 03:34 PM 04-18-2019
You can count the time you spend on activities for your business that you wouldn't be doing if you weren't in business. Since you would be mowing the lawn and weeding, etc even if you weren't in business, don't count this time, although you could count part of the cost. When buying items at a garage sale, write you own note about what you bought, what it cost and when and where you bought it. Then take a picture of it.
Thank you. That's what I Figured, but thought better double check.

I do know that I would never salt my driveway and shovel it every day nearly in the winter, so can I claim that time?
buddie65 10:05 AM 01-28-2020
In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?
TomCopeland 02:29 PM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by buddie65:
In NY there are mandated professional development hours and topics for registered providers. If the rule is that you must be within your Daycare/ home to write off the extra hours.... what about on-line PD trainings where you are doing it within your daycare/ home after regular hours? This might be another one for the list of write offs ?
To count hours in the calculation of your time-space% you must be in your home when daycare children are not present. Hours spent away from your home, even if on activities exclusively for your business don't count. Doing online training for your business in your home does count.
buddie65 07:55 AM 02-05-2020
Excellent ...one more for the list :}}
EdwardNilsson 03:26 AM 06-18-2021
Very interesting! Looking forward to seeing more.
Tags:deduction - landscape, deductions, deductions - list, time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up