Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Informing Parents
daycare 01:26 PM 11-25-2013
In my DC I have had very few children that hit. I have been very fortunate.

Well today one of my DCKs that is age 4.5 punched another child in the stomach because the victim was trying to sit down on the reading sofa next to them and accidentally sat on part of the 4.5 yr old leg.

At this age, the child MORE than knows that hitting let alone punching is NOT acceptable at all.

I am one that really tries to keep DC at DC and home at home. I am used to children under 2 hitting, but not children of this this age.

Would you send home an email saying FYI. today JR punched another child during reading time and had to sit our for afternoon activities?

Or would you just let it go and deal with it here????
lovemylife 01:40 PM 11-25-2013
I tell parents at pick up if anything went wrong during the day.
Cradle2crayons 01:42 PM 11-25-2013
If it's something serious enough to have to sit out or TO for, I inform. If not, hen I usually don't unless parents specifically ask.
daycarediva 01:47 PM 11-25-2013
I inform of TO's. I would say to the parent "Little Joe had an incident with hitting another child today. He sat in TO. He knows better and we have discussed this. I just wanted to keep you informed. Thanks.
childcaremom 01:57 PM 11-25-2013
For an out-of-the-ordinary issue I have a form I fill out and send home in the child's folder. It states what the incident was, gives room for an explanation, states what the consequence was, and then they sign and return the next day.

I don't discuss daycare issues in front of the kids. If it merits a phone call or email I will state that on the form and we can discuss it later.
daycare 02:12 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
For an out-of-the-ordinary issue I have a form I fill out and send home in the child's folder. It states what the incident was, gives room for an explanation, states what the consequence was, and then they sign and return the next day.

I don't discuss daycare issues in front of the kids. If it merits a phone call or email I will state that on the form and we can discuss it later.
I also dont discuss in front of the kids. I have not had to inform parents of an incident like this in so long I forgot how.....lol
coolconfidentme 02:22 PM 11-25-2013
I have a zero tolerance policy for aggressive behavior. It states: If a child is old enough to know right from wrong and displays aggression to another person, the child will be separated from everyone. The parent/guardian will be contacted to pick up the child immediately.

I found that the parent takes a more active role in parenting with this policy in place.
daycare 02:29 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I have a zero tolerance policy for aggressive behavior. It states: If a child is old enough to know right from wrong and displays aggression to another person, the child will be separated from everyone. The parent/guardian will be contacted to pick up the child immediately.

I found that the parent takes a more active role in parenting with this policy in place.
I wish I would have read your post before emailing the parents. I forget that this is the rule come formal schooling.

The parents have decided that the child no longer needs naps and so on days off from care they don't nap and now this is the result of no napping. I was about to jump ship today due to this child's behavior. It's been so unpredictable all day and if one more thing happens I will be sending them home....................thankfully the child was the first one to pass out at nap time today and is still sleeping beautifully.
childcaremom 02:53 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:

I like this.
caregiver 07:01 AM 11-26-2013
I have a 4 yr old DCB who has hit,pushed and has really ugly temper tantrums. I have learned how to handle him when he does these things and he knows now that if he tries to pull this stuff on me that he will not get to do things that he likes to do and will have time outs.
I do tell the parents when he acts like this,I fill out a daily report on the kids everyday so that parents know how their child is doing and what they do everyday. I have written many "bad" reports to his parents about his behavior and even the first week I had him, almost termed him as I do not like this behavior in my daycare.
He is like this at home also with his younger sister and the parents are at their wits end on how to handle him at home and have asked for my help and basically told me to handle him whatever way I want to when he acts up. So I have gotten really strict with him as far as his behavior and HE knows that he had better not hit,push or shove the other kids or he will get privileges taken away and do time out.
Also the parents do appreciate me letting them know about his behavior and between them and myself, we are trying to work on getting him to stop doing all this and behave.
So in my opinion,is it is something that I think you need to inform the parents about so they know what the child is doing no matter if it is something you think you can handle yourself,the parents need to know what their child is doing.
daycare 02:58 PM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by care giver:
I have a 4 yr old DCB who has hit,pushed and has really ugly temper tantrums. I have learned how to handle him when he does these things and he knows now that if he tries to pull this stuff on me that he will not get to do things that he likes to do and will have time outs.
I do tell the parents when he acts like this,I fill out a daily report on the kids everyday so that parents know how their child is doing and what they do everyday. I have written many "bad" reports to his parents about his behavior and even the first week I had him, almost termed him as I do not like this behavior in my daycare.
He is like this at home also with his younger sister and the parents are at their wits end on how to handle him at home and have asked for my help and basically told me to handle him whatever way I want to when he acts up. So I have gotten really strict with him as far as his behavior and HE knows that he had better not hit,push or shove the other kids or he will get privileges taken away and do time out.
Also the parents do appreciate me letting them know about his behavior and between them and myself, we are trying to work on getting him to stop doing all this and behave.
So in my opinion,is it is something that I think you need to inform the parents about so they know what the child is doing no matter if it is something you think you can handle yourself,the parents need to know what their child is doing.
thanks for posting this....

I did tell the parents. Today at drop off the DCD tells me yeah Johnny told me what happened. DCD tells me what Johhny told him and it is 100% a lie.

I normally don't get to detailed about exactly what happened, but I felt that I needed to let the DCP know the truth. So the DCD was pretty shocked to hear me tell him that his child did it 100% on purpose. I saw the whole thing go down.

I did tell the parents that the next time it happens that I will be calling for pick up. Of course they did not respond to me when I told them that.
Lorri 03:31 PM 11-26-2013
I would tell because if a parent heard about, they will wonder if you know about it and might get concerned
Reply Up