Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Quick Advice Please!
3kidzmama 07:38 AM 11-17-2011
Anyone have children on nebulizers?

I have an 11 mo old dcg that has been out sick since last Thursday. She came back today. Dcm says she has been diagnosed with acute asthma and has to be on a nebulizer. My assistant opens in the mornings and takes the early arrivals so I wasn't there when dcg was dropped off.
I'm not sure that we can deal with the nebulizer, as it seems that it will require taking one adult away from the group several times per day. (it can't be administered in the daycare room because it has to be plugged up and there are no electrical outlets in there)
What would you do?
laundrymom 07:39 AM 11-17-2011
I would use an extension cord.
Cat Herder 07:41 AM 11-17-2011
What time is she scheduled to take it?

At 11 months, I would use blow-by technique by clipping it to her crib railing during sleep.

You can use the same method by having her in the highchair and clipping the mouthpiece to the chair while she watches a video in another room.

I do recommend keeping it FAR AWAY FROM OTHER dck'S. It is inhaled so anyone in the area will ALSO be breathing it in. You will swear your assistant slipped the whole room Mountain Dew otherwise....
Zoe 07:42 AM 11-17-2011
Nebulizers are easy to use, but since it's a little one you would have to be there the whole time while she's using it holding the mask there. That might be difficult having other dck's who need you. And if you have to be out of the room due to the outlet issue, then that's a real supervision issue.

I would ask dcm if the girl can use her nebulizer at home every morning and evening and be ok during daycare without it. If she absolutely has to have it during the day, I would have to tell her you can't do it.
sharlan 07:44 AM 11-17-2011
I've had several kids that needed breathing treatments. It does take a few adult minutes to set it up and hold the medication for the child if they don't use a mask.

If you can't use an extension cord, ask the parent if they can provide a battery operated nebulizer. My daughter has one that she keeps in the car.
daycare 07:45 AM 11-17-2011
I don't have the man power and won't take the liability.

I will allow parents to come administer it.

When I did do it years ago, I required doctors orders, full instructions and the first dose to be given at home.
Michael 10:53 AM 11-17-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=nebulizer
cheerfuldom 10:56 AM 11-17-2011
Is this a long term situation? Either way, I don't do breathing treatments, period. If they need that kind of attention, they go home until they are better or find a long term provider that is willing to do this for them.
grandmom 03:04 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Is this a long term situation? Either way, I don't do breathing treatments, period. If they need that kind of attention, they go home until they are better or find a long term provider that is willing to do this for them.
Why not do breathing treatments? I'm asking because I have a little one who just started them. Is there great risk of liability?
Sprouts 03:10 PM 11-17-2011
Do you have to be certified or trained to give that??? Here in NY there is a special training that we need in order to administer that!

If not then have a relative come and give it to them, its true it will take away from the other children if you have to constantly moniter them with it, speak with your lisencer if you are not sure.
nannyde 03:30 PM 11-17-2011
Are you sure it is actually asthma? I don't see how it is even possible to diagnose a child with asthma that young. I would REQUIRE a doctors note stating a diagnosis FIRST.

I have only had one kid in all my years that got a true asthma diagnosis under three and the kid did NOT have asthma. (It matters to get the real diagnosis because you may have to deal with Americans with Disability Act people if you refuse. I have dealth with them and it was a great experience.)

I don't do nebulizers. I'm not comfortable doing them and I'm a RN. If I were to start giving them again I would charge a HEFTY fee for the service.

Here are some really good threads for you where you can see my experience.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ight=nebulizer

3kidzmama 06:21 PM 11-17-2011
Sorry I haven't replied yet, been a crazy day!

Thank you all for your responses. I spoke with my licensor about the situation, and her response was that the nebulizer would have to be used in another room away from the other children, and since I do not have the manpower to accommodate that, it would cause me to be out of ratio during administration and therefore could not be allowed.

I called the dcm to let her know that I would not be able to provide care while the child was on the nebulizer due to this reason, and she informed me that she had just quit her job and would be staying home with dcg from now on due to her medical issues. Soooo, the situation took care of itself really.

I really wasn't comfortable with the responsibility or liability. I am actually about to discontinue administering medicines period. It's just too much liability. If they need meds they are going to have to keep them home.

Nannyde, I have a note from the dr stating her diagnosis, so all I know is what the dr said. Whether she truly has asthma, I'm not sure.
daycare 06:27 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Are you sure it is actually asthma? I don't see how it is even possible to diagnose a child with asthma that young. I would REQUIRE a doctors note stating a diagnosis FIRST.

I have only had one kid in all my years that got a true asthma diagnosis under three and the kid did NOT have asthma. (It matters to get the real diagnosis because you may have to deal with Americans with Disability Act people if you refuse. I have dealth with them and it was a great experience.)

I don't do nebulizers. I'm not comfortable doing them and I'm a RN. If I were to start giving them again I would charge a HEFTY fee for the service.

Here are some really good threads for you where you can see my experience.

This is why i won't give them anymore.. It took one bad scare for me to never deal with it ever again.

Ever see a baby turn blue, shake and stop breathing? Then come to find out the reason for it was because he was being over medicated.

Unless parents would allow me to talk directly to their doctor, I will never do this ever again.

I saw my life flash before me when that happen to the little girl in my care. Thank goodness that my husband who is a season paramedic and PA was home.

I am not trained for this and I would tell a family up front, you are welcome to send your child here. but you are going to come and administer the treatments.
Tags:nebulizer
Reply Up