Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2015, 04:29 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default Bad review from dcm I termed

I have my business listed with google. I was given a bad review today by a dcm I termed because her dd was not a good fit. She was coming one day a week for the trial period, and dcg was upset when left with me (shocker). After a few times, dcg liked me, but didn't like to be put down. It was crying - screaming - the moment I put her down until I picked her back up. I finally told dcm that it wasn't going to work. Dcm is a teacher (another shocker) and wanted full time in the Fall. I didn't believe I would see imorovement because dcg was also a preemie, getting therapy, and needed a lot of one on one. Dcg has just turned 2. She was obviously behind in many areas, but dcm was always reassuring me she was completely normal. No, she wasn't.

So now, several weeks later, I have a nasty review about how I don't like kids and I'm suoer strict, and (the horror) I had a trial period. And then dcm mentions how I even have a super long contract that shows all my weaknesses.

Okay...I am so ticked. I very kindly wrote back on the review page, but I'm thinking about taking my google listing down. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Hopefully someone knows what to do. I fear this because I don't know what to do. I will be watching this thread to learn just in case. Sucks though when parents are in such denial.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I have my business listed with google. I was given a bad review today by a dcm I termed because her dd was not a good fit. She was coming one day a week for the trial period, and dcg was upset when left with me (shocker). After a few times, dcg liked me, but didn't like to be put down. It was crying - screaming - the moment I put her down until I picked her back up. I finally told dcm that it wasn't going to work. Dcm is a teacher (another shocker) and wanted full time in the Fall. I didn't believe I would see imorovement because dcg was also a preemie, getting therapy, and needed a lot of one on one. Dcg has just turned 2. She was obviously behind in many areas, but dcm was always reassuring me she was completely normal. No, she wasn't.

So now, several weeks later, I have a nasty review about how I don't like kids and I'm suoer strict, and (the horror) I had a trial period. And then dcm mentions how I even have a super long contract that shows all my weaknesses.

Okay...I am so ticked. I very kindly wrote back on the review page, but I'm thinking about taking my google listing down. Thoughts?
I'm not sure but my first instinct is to write something like you did. Then maybe ask parents to put up some good reviews to counter the negative one.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Mandy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile keep it up

Do not take your listing down. If you do, it may look like you have something to hide. You did nothing wrong because you recognized that her child needed more care than what you could give her. You were fair to her by trying to take care of her kid, but this kid needed a lot more than you can give them. You saw that it was not working so you termed them. The mom wrote the bad review because she decided to act immature and throw a "virtual" tantrum by making up lies about you. If I was her, I would have instead said "Thank you for trying" and looked for another place. It is okay that some kids will not mesh with you well, especially if they cannot handle not being carried around all day long (which is really unrealistic because of other little ones to look after ) .

It is good that you wrote her a note because it shows potential clients that you deal with complaints seriously, and that you are an honest person. It is bad that she did this, but do not be discouraged. For every wicked witch of the west, there is a dorthy . Shes the wicked witch, not you by the way
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Do not take your listing down. If you do, it may look like you have something to hide. You did nothing wrong because you recognized that her child needed more care than what you could give her. You were fair to her by trying to take care of her kid, but this kid needed a lot more than you can give them. You saw that it was not working so you termed them. The mom wrote the bad review because she decided to act immature and throw a "virtual" tantrum by making up lies about you. If I was her, I would have instead said "Thank you for trying" and looked for another place. It is okay that some kids will not mesh with you well, especially if they cannot handle not being carried around all day long (which is really unrealistic because of other little ones to look after ) .

It is good that you wrote her a note because it shows potential clients that you deal with complaints seriously, and that you are an honest person. It is bad that she did this, but do not be discouraged. For every wicked witch of the west, there is a dorthy . Shes the wicked witch, not you by the way
Thanks This woman just got to me today. I work so hard and it is deflating when someone goes out of their way to be mean.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Missqjulie's Avatar
Missqjulie Missqjulie is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 54
Default

If it was me I would take it down and start new but that's just me. Maybe it's good you left it up and commented on it to.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 PM
littletots's Avatar
littletots littletots is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 373
Default

I have two friends who are small businesses owners. One is a photographer (6yrs in business), the other pet store (23yrs). Both have had negative reviews. The photographer lost so much business she renamed her business. The pet store guy ignored it. Pet store customers would post positive reviews. He appreciated it. I feel bad you're going through this. Personally, I hide from an online presence (no website, FB).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 PM
KidGrind's Avatar
KidGrind KidGrind is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Red, White & Blue
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I have my business listed with google. I was given a bad review today by a dcm I termed because her dd was not a good fit. She was coming one day a week for the trial period, and dcg was upset when left with me (shocker). After a few times, dcg liked me, but didn't like to be put down. It was crying - screaming - the moment I put her down until I picked her back up. I finally told dcm that it wasn't going to work. Dcm is a teacher (another shocker) and wanted full time in the Fall. I didn't believe I would see imorovement because dcg was also a preemie, getting therapy, and needed a lot of one on one. Dcg has just turned 2. She was obviously behind in many areas, but dcm was always reassuring me she was completely normal. No, she wasn't.

So now, several weeks later, I have a nasty review about how I don't like kids and I'm suoer strict, and (the horror) I had a trial period. And then dcm mentions how I even have a super long contract that shows all my weaknesses.

Okay...I am so ticked. I very kindly wrote back on the review page, but I'm thinking about taking my google listing down. Thoughts?
I recently saw this happen to another provider. It was funny to me because the negative review told the truth THAT IT WAS JUST A BITTER PARENT. The provider removed her account on the site which I think was a shame.

I wouldíve replied with:

Hello DCM,

Itís unfortunate that youíre upset. During our interview I discussed the trail period and you signed off on the handbook/contract. My perception is any reasonably intelligent parent would not sign a handbook/contract that they do not agree with. In addition only a neglectful parent in my eyes would want their child with a provider that isnít a good fit for their childís needs.

I considered you intelligent and a very responsible parent. I wish you the very best.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGrind View Post
I recently saw this happen to another provider. It was funny to me because the negative review told the truth THAT IT WAS JUST A BITTER PARENT. The provider removed her account on the site which I think was a shame.

I wouldíve replied with:

Hello DCM,

Itís unfortunate that youíre upset. During our interview I discussed the trail period and you signed off on the handbook/contract. My perception is any reasonably intelligent parent would not sign a handbook/contract that they do not agree with. In addition only a neglectful parent in my eyes would want their child with a provider that isnít a good fit for their childís needs.

I considered you intelligent and a very responsible parent. I wish you the very best.
I would LOVE to write that. I almost would, but it doesn't mention how she said I don't like kids . I will post her review and what I wrote back in off topic.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I would LOVE to write that. I almost would, but it doesn't mention how she said I don't like kids . I will post her review and what I wrote back in off topic.
I wouldn't let that part bother me...

I doubt any other potential client would read something like that and automatically assume you don't like kids... to me, that statement is not even worth defending at all.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Honestly, I read bad reviews with both eyes wide open. Let's see "super long contract" says to me, if I were a parent, that you have all your bases covered and are very open with your rules. Strict and a trail period would be bonuses. And a kind reply from you that offers your side would be all to the better.

Own it, keep your head up (and maybe solicit some good reviews).
__________________
Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

As a parent, I would be much more worried about a bad review where the family chose to leave for xyz reasons. I would be less concerned by an angry review written by a termed parent KWIM? I would see it as an angry reaction by a parent that this dcp decided she didn't want to be a part of her program. I would be happy to see a provider isn't more worried about money than the quality of the community she is creating. I think a calm well worded response would be fine, and I wouldn't remove your listing. You did nothing wrong
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Thank you everyone. You have made me feel much better about this
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Preschool/daycare teacher's Avatar
Preschool/daycare teacher Preschool/daycare teacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 635
Default

Just curious, what did you say when you responded to her review? I am also afraid of that happening to me But going by what she said, I doubt anyone else will pay any attention to it. She just sounds immature and like a child who didn't get her way, so I imagine other parents who see that review will just ignore it. But if you wanted, you could also ask the families you currently have to write a review for you. It always helps to have positive reviews to help boost advertisement
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
Just curious, what did you say when you responded to her review? I am also afraid of that happening to me But going by what she said, I doubt anyone else will pay any attention to it. She just sounds immature and like a child who didn't get her way, so I imagine other parents who see that review will just ignore it. But if you wanted, you could also ask the families you currently have to write a review for you. It always helps to have positive reviews to help boost advertisement
I posted the link to it in the off topics section. I exactly copied what a poster (I forgot who right now) said would be a good written response. I did not do so well with my first response . KidGrind can attest to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicted Feelings About Termed Child Being Termed Again Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 07-07-2012 05:54 AM
Recently Termed Dad Drama laundrymom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 02-11-2011 03:27 PM
Have You Ever Run Into A Family You Termed? tmcp2001 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 11-04-2010 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming