Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 298
Default Parent Night Out

Do any of you offer occasional weekend nights for childcare so parents can do dates or shopping or whatever? How do you word it to them and how do you charge? Do you add it to business expenses or just keep it off the books as extra cash?Ive never offered this but have had several families ask or say theyíd be interested if I ever did. Not sure about it though Iíve never considered it!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:01 AM
BrynleeJean BrynleeJean is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 243
Default

I used to.
It was in my operational policies under my payment structure next to the fees worded like
Parent Night Outs: This home may open on occasional parent night outs at the providers discretion.
Thats all
Then if I did them id post a paper with the title "PNO (parent night out)" and a list of activities and foods or snacks we would be having, as an advertisment like
GLOW IN THE DARK BOWLING
FLASHLIGHT TAG!
MAKE YOUR OWN PIZZA!
and at the bottom I put the hours and rate
the food was coming out of my money as well as the activities so i kept that in mind when making the rate, for program won't cover that meal
my hours were something like 5:30-11?
My state minimum standards says that children can't be in care for more that 15 hours or something I forget but whatever it was messed with me keeping it open later for parents.
Technically that 15 hours is just from when little johnny comes and goes so like from 9a-11p or whatever not my open-close hours so keep that in mind if your state has that rule like mind check that out.
And yes any child I take care of in my home has to be part of my childcare program so it was separate. I included the income into my tax work at the end of the year.


I didnt do it much though because I found that even though parents said that it sounded like a great idea, they didnt bring their children that much and if they did it was more because their child begged them because of the fun activities, not because they wanted a sitter. Because if they REALLY needed one they alway had some kind of family in town to watch their kids for free.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,206
Default

Nope. I am already available for services M-F 10.5 hours a day so I don't offer services outside that.

I have my own family and in some ways I think offering a Parent Night Out sets parents up to view you as a glorified babysitter verses a professional child care provider.

I'll happily provide the names and numbers of trusted teenagers that are willing to babysit if parents want to go on a date.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:26 PM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Nope. I am already available for services M-F 10.5 hours a day so I don't offer services outside that.

I have my own family and in some ways I think offering a Parent Night Out sets parents up to view you as a glorified babysitter verses a professional child care provider.

I'll happily provide the names and numbers of trusted teenagers that are willing to babysit if parents want to go on a date.

^ something tells me my parents probably wouldn't come back for their kids until god knows when. I already had some pull that on my days off. No thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:20 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is offline
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
Do any of you offer occasional weekend nights for childcare so parents can do dates or shopping or whatever? How do you word it to them and how do you charge? Do you add it to business expenses or just keep it off the books as extra cash?Ive never offered this but have had several families ask or say theyíd be interested if I ever did. Not sure about it though Iíve never considered it!
I always thought "Parents Night Out" was something providers offered for Free as a "Thank you for your business" gift ...I might give this a try!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I always thought "Parents Night Out" was something providers offered for Free as a "Thank you for your business" gift ...I might give this a try!
I did this for 15 years. I gave 6 hrs free on a satin Dec for parents to shop. We'd play in the snow..make Graham cracker gingerbread houses...pizza..When I started it parents were very grateful...couldn't believe it..what a great gesture. This is the first year I'm NOT doing it. Over that past 5/6 years...it was just another day to dump their kids..and not.have to deal with them. The parents got pushy too..asking for 1/2 earlier...or coming late...I only had 1 family last year say thank you too. It was very hurtful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2018, 05:19 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did this for 15 years. I gave 6 hrs free on a satin Dec for parents to shop. We'd play in the snow..make Graham cracker gingerbread houses...pizza..When I started it parents were very grateful...couldn't believe it..what a great gesture. This is the first year I'm NOT doing it. Over that past 5/6 years...it was just another day to dump their kids..and not.have to deal with them. The parents got pushy too..asking for 1/2 earlier...or coming late...I only had 1 family last year say thank you too. It was very hurtful.
This is what I am talking about. I do not have any families in care that would appreciate or not ask for additional special if I did it. This is one of the many reasons I am closing for good in June.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,843
Default

I just couldnít do it! Nothing wrong with the idea but I already spend so much time with these peopleís kid I could not do any more. The money would be nice for the holidays though so I totally get it!

If I were to do it I would use my personal FB page and just announce that the daycare is open on Saturday X date or Friday extended hours and then list the prices for that service. Call it Holiday Shopping Hours or something festive like this so they donít view it as a regular thing and then you could do it regularly later if you enjoyed it or felt it was worth it. If I did not have an FB page I would just put it in my newsletter or tell parents at the door....depends on how you communicate with your parents.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2018, 06:28 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did this for 15 years. I gave 6 hrs free on a satin Dec for parents to shop. We'd play in the snow..make Graham cracker gingerbread houses...pizza..When I started it parents were very grateful...couldn't believe it..what a great gesture. This is the first year I'm NOT doing it. Over that past 5/6 years...it was just another day to dump their kids..and not.have to deal with them. The parents got pushy too..asking for 1/2 earlier...or coming late...I only had 1 family last year say thank you too. It was very hurtful.
I used to do the same. Stopped for the same reasons. I have not had a thank you for gifts in 3 years, now.

I will occasionally offer a PNO for former clients when I am working on a short-term financial goal and my DH is out of town for work. Empty nest makes me pace around a bit, lost, when he is gone. I am still adjusting. The extra funds and seeing my now school-aged former DCK's is pretty fun. Then again, I preferred babysitting to dating or parties (also always turned into babysitting without payment ) back in high school. Kids and animals, ya know.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Firefly's Avatar
Firefly Firefly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 128
Default

I have never done this. I really look forward to my time off after working long hours and I feel something like this would come to be expected.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I just couldnít do it! Nothing wrong with the idea but I already spend so much time with these peopleís kid I could not do any more. The money would be nice for the holidays though so I totally get it!

If I were to do it I would use my personal FB page and just announce that the daycare is open on Saturday X date or Friday extended hours and then list the prices for that service. Call it Holiday Shopping Hours or something festive like this so they donít view it as a regular thing and then you could do it regularly later if you enjoyed it or felt it was worth it. If I did not have an FB page I would just put it in my newsletter or tell parents at the door....depends on how you communicate with your parents.
This is exactly what I was thinking. A special night once a year near Christmas that Iím advertising to them as a party for the kids type of thing and the parents can use it to shop or a date but itís just once a year and itís just those hours. I could use the extra money this time of year. But Iím also pretty aware of how selfish some of my current my families are.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM
skipper's Avatar
skipper skipper is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 20
Default

No. But I'm a small set up, I know bigger places with more staff do it. Not my cup of tea though!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. A special night once a year near Christmas that Iím advertising to them as a party for the kids type of thing and the parents can use it to shop or a date but itís just once a year and itís just those hours. I could use the extra money this time of year. But Iím also pretty aware of how selfish some of my current my families are.
I think you need to go into it with ZERO expectations and do it only for the $$. Donít go overboard with activities, do what YOU feel is right and worth what they are paying you. Movie and pizza sounds about right in my books. They do a PNO at my daughters karate place and it is $20 per child for 4 hours, they do a few games, movie and pizza.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,244
Default

Offered this one year .Parent night out dinner and a movie after DC closed on a Friday night.Only one parent utilized the offer.It was the longest day for both the child and myself.Gift wise I sent a "family"gift home the last day before the holiday.Then I bought a few new toys for daycare.They were set up on first day back after the holiday.I would send a thankyou for any gifts I received and included a note about what we added to our supplies.The children spent a lot of time at DC so the toys were used here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parents night out, pno

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Napping and Night Time Sleep Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 05-02-2018 03:44 PM
Night Care JBWWCC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 04-10-2018 03:19 PM
Child's Behavior At Pick Up momatheart Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 07-29-2017 01:39 PM
Parent Think Their Children Should Be Watched For Pennies... thatdivalady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 09-09-2012 02:17 PM
My Contract...What Do You Think? JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-21-2011 06:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming