Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Painted Carpet??
3kidzmama 07:54 PM 03-10-2012
I would love to have a colorful rug in my play area with the alphabet on it! I had one when I taught kindergarten but it belonged to the school so I didn't get to keep it. I can't afford to buy one right now, as they are way out of my budget. They are anywhere from $250-$700 or more depending on size and where you buy it. Just can't do that kind of spending on a rug right now.

My assistant suggested that we get a plain area rug from Walmart for about $25 and paint the alphabet and a cute scene on it. I'd never heard of painted carpet but I googled it and it seems to be quite popular.

Have any of you tried it?
Jenniferdawn 09:07 PM 03-10-2012
Hmmm, I haven't purposely painted a rug, but my daughter spilled a gallon of paint on our carpet. Even after cleaning up as much as we can, the carpet is very stiff and scratchy, not comfortable at all. I don't think it would be very kid friendly.
Sunchimes 09:29 PM 03-10-2012
You can buy something called fabric medium or textile medium at amazon or Hobby Lobby-probably other places too. You mix it half and half with latex paint and it makes it into fabric paint that won't be as stiff as pure paint.

If you have carpet but want something colorful, you might try a sisal mat or even buy artist canvas and paint it. Try googling painted canvas or floor canvas.

You could do so many cute things!
PitterPatter 09:29 PM 03-10-2012
Same here stiff and scratchy unless they make a special paint. Maybe dye it in shapes etc. Maybe use fabric dye. When you clean it with a carpet scrubber it may run though. Just throwing ideas.
Childminder 12:06 PM 03-11-2012
Dye wont work. Most carpet is plastic based; olefin, nylon, polyester,etc… and won't except dye. Paint can stiffen the fiber but might work if you water it down and/or use a special additive.
daycare 12:14 PM 03-11-2012
there is a thing called carpet paint. Look for it in a google search.

My sister and I did a mini make over to my cousins dorm room at the start of the year. It came out fantastic. It did not leave a carpet feel, but it looked great.
3kidzmama 06:38 PM 03-11-2012
Yes I was concerned about it turning out stiff. I did see a product called paint conditioner that is supposed to prevent that from happening.
I may try that.
I will also look for the carpet paint that daycare suggested.

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it!
Reply Up